ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Tier 1 (General Visa) fly to USA

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ashubhatt

UK Tier 1 (General Visa) fly to USA

Post by ashubhatt » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:18 pm

Hello,

Can you fly to USA(Business,Tourist) if you have a UK Tier 1 Visa?

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:28 pm

You have not given enough information...are you asking whether anyone with a UK Tier 1 can simply get on a plane and fly over...then no, some people might need a visa first. Other than that, there shouldn't be any issues.

ashubhatt

Post by ashubhatt » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:30 pm

Sorry I meant to say do I need a visa before flying or I can get visa on the plane? I am Indian nationality residing in UK on Tier 1 visa

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:34 pm

ashubhatt wrote:Sorry I meant to say do I need a visa before flying or I can get visa on the plane? I am Indian nationality residing in UK on Tier 1 visa
You need a visa and from other people who tried to get visa, I heard, chance is 5% to get USA visa from within UK. They try to refer you back to your country of citizenship and apply from there.

nfoote

Post by nfoote » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:39 pm

nionlight wrote:
ashubhatt wrote:Sorry I meant to say do I need a visa before flying or I can get visa on the plane? I am Indian nationality residing in UK on Tier 1 visa
You need a visa and from other people who tried to get visa, I heard, chance is 5% to get USA visa from within UK. They try to refer you back to your country of citizenship and apply from there.
Surely he doesn't need to return to his own country to get a tourist or business visa? ie a temporary visit?
I assume its a temp visa he's after since he mentioned "getting it on the plane" and I can't imagine he'd thought he'd get a permanent work/living visa for anywhere in the work while enroute/at the border!

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Post by rajesh9pl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:41 pm

I know US tourist visa is easily issued in UK to T1 applicant, if you have been here for longer tim, more than 1 or 2 years, doing permanent job. No clue about Business visa.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:43 pm

Nionlight - these people who struggled to get visas, were they perhaps here on visits or temporary routes like student visas? People in the UK temporarily have to return to their home country to get a visa for the US, but people here on permanent visas (such as Tier 1 (G)), can apply in the UK. I cannot find the sources for this information now, but I looked at it the other day as I had issues applying for a US visa when I was on a Working Holiday in the UK, but researched it the other day and there are no issues I could foresee other than if you're on a student or visit visa.

ashubhatt

Post by ashubhatt » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:46 pm

I am in the UK for more then 4 years on a permanent employment, thinking of going to US for a weekend trip. Which is the most easily available visa with less hassles? :)

milan.1680
Newly Registered

Post by milan.1680 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:50 pm

you will need a visa, depending on the reason why you want to travel to USA

i am on Tier 1 gen visa as well and just got my USA B1 visa to attend conference (funded by my compnay). Only advice i can give you is make sure your documentation/reason is very clear before you apply as they are going to make decision on day of interview (probabley in 5 minutes...), than again it is my experience.

good luck

wasim_n

Post by wasim_n » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:54 pm

milan.1680 wrote:you will need a visa, depending on the reason why you want to travel to USA

i am on Tier 1 gen visa as well and just got my USA B1 visa to attend conference (funded by my compnay). Only advice i can give you is make sure your documentation/reason is very clear before you apply as they are going to make decision on day of interview (probabley in 5 minutes...), than again it is my experience.

good luck
Hey Milan can you brief me the docs you submitted as I am planning to apply for a business visa to US fully sponsored by my employer, but suggestions from successful applicants are always helpful.

I am also planning to apply with my wife n kids so they can also have a summer break, need tips.

Thanks

milan_ns

Post by milan_ns » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:56 pm

I applied two times so far - got B1/B2 visa both times (business & tourist).

They didn't seem particularly nosy - interview took like 5 mins (also I was quite vague about my travel plans - said I plan to go to US sometime in the future :D).

I took bank statements, pay slips & letter from my employer.

andrewmiley
Newly Registered

Post by andrewmiley » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:10 am

I don’t think you will be able travel to US, if you have UK tier 1 visa and as said by nionlight it is true the chances of getting visa to US from UK is also very less, surely they will ask you to apply from your country of citizenship. I have seen many peoples in UK who are suffering to get visa for US, since it involves long process.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:53 pm

andrewmiley wrote:I don’t think you will be able travel to US, if you have UK tier 1 visa and as said by nionlight it is true the chances of getting visa to US from UK is also very less, surely they will ask you to apply from your country of citizenship. I have seen many peoples in UK who are suffering to get visa for US, since it involves long process.
Not sure about that. I personnaly have applied twice before whilst i was on the old HSMP visa and I got it both times. Process is straightforward enough i thought

rnr79
Member of Standing

Post by rnr79 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:54 pm

f2k wrote:
andrewmiley wrote:I don’t think you will be able travel to US, if you have UK tier 1 visa and as said by nionlight it is true the chances of getting visa to US from UK is also very less, surely they will ask you to apply from your country of citizenship. I have seen many peoples in UK who are suffering to get visa for US, since it involves long process.
Not sure about that. I personnaly have applied twice before whilst i was on the old HSMP visa and I got it both times. Process is straightforward enough i thought
Strange why did you have to apply twice...was the gap between two applications more than 10 years...US visas are of 10 year validity..I applied here in London while on Tier 1 visa, in 2000 and visa is valid until 2019...and I travlled thrice to USA in last two years..and there was no prob at all going in and out...

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:57 pm

rnr79 wrote:
f2k wrote:
andrewmiley wrote: Not sure about that. I personnaly have applied twice before whilst i was on the old HSMP visa and I got it both times. Process is straightforward enough i thought
Strange why did you have to apply twice...was the gap between two applications more than 10 years...US visas are of 10 year validity..I applied here in London while on Tier 1 visa, in 2000 and visa is valid until 2019...and I travlled thrice to USA in last two years..and there was no prob at all going in and out...
Perhaps because US tourist visas are valid anywhere from 6 months to 10 years.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:20 pm

rnr79 wrote:
f2k wrote: ...
the validity depends on your country of citizenship. some get 1year some 3 some 5yrs and others 10. I think it is has something to do with some 'reciprocal' agreements with the respective countries and i guess the 'risk' which the countries pose.