ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing jobs- best practices

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vanessahk
Newly Registered

Changing jobs- best practices

Post by vanessahk » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:06 pm

Hi,

I'm currently sponsored under the Tier 2 general after switching from PSW.
I would like to change jobs but would like to find out best practices. I don't want to be stuck with no job and having to leaving the country and I also want to let a new potential employer know that it'll be easy to employ me if they can issue a certificate of sponsorship.

The jobs I would like to work in do not fall under the shortage list (communications), so I understand that the employer will need to advertise the job for an extra 28 days to show that nobody in the EU can fill the role, is this correct?

Should I get the job offer first then ask the employer to apply for the certificate of sponsorship, then hand in my notice at my old job?

I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who's been through this experience!

Thank you!

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:16 pm

While the letter of the law states this is the process, in reality there are literally no employers out there who will sponsor a work permit for you. So if you leave your current employer, chances of getting another job and being sponsored for that is close to nil.

While employers do have to advertise an additional few days before sponsoring anyone, they do not tend to follow this approach. Almost all jobs you apply for will clearly ask if you have the right to work here. If you go on to the concerned company's careers site and if they mention you should have the right to work and live here then you know they wont sponsor you.

As you havent given any information about your line of work, I cannot advice on how good your chances are to secure sponsorship. Best bet is to look around, visit some company's sites and see if they specifically ask for right to work here or if they are happy to sponsor - and then think about moving on

KP

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:29 pm

I think employers/agents asks you upfront if you have a visa /right to work ..
So if you say that you require sponsorship, then chances are they wouldnt take you..This is more to do with current situation :Lot of local candidates /PR holders/Tier1 visa holders who are out of work..So they would select one of them rather then going for this extra step.
Having said that, if you skill is rare/unique they would be happy to take this pain