ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen Visa - Query

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

john353

Schengen Visa - Query

Post by john353 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:45 pm

I am an Indian national working in UK (Tier2 visa). I intend to travel to Greece with my wife and infant son (both having tier 2 dependent visas) for a short visit. After going through the greece embassy website for the Schengen visa it is not clear as to if marriage and birth certificate is required.

1) Is the marriage/birth certificate requirement only for family members of EU/EEA/CH citizens only?

2) We have our marriage certificate and birth certificate (of my son) from India. Both certificates are in english. (If we need to show the marriage and birth certificate) do we have to 'apostile' the marriage and birth certificates from Indian embassy? Both my wife's and sons UK dependent visa has my name on it.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Cheers.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:01 pm

I would expect the embassy to make sure that you are a parent/legal guardian of the child as per question 10 of the application form. You will certainly need proper certification of foreign documents through the relevant Indian authorities. I am not sure if the relationship between you and your wife is really relevant.

john353

Post by john353 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Thanks for the reply. But regarding Birth certificate attestation from Indian high commision in UK, I found the following info from the webpage:

"Birth, Death, Marriage and Educational Certificates etc. issued by the Indian authorities in India can also be attested by the Indian High Commission provided the same have been authenticated by the Consular Section of Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Patiala House, New Delhi-110001 or Branch Secretariat of Ministry of External Affairs, Kolkata. "

I have my son's original valid birth certificate from India and that too in English. I don't get a clue as to the further requirement of authentication from External affairs ministry in India to get an attestation from high commisiion in UK. Obviously this is not practical now. Again is this birth certificate attestation required if it is in English? Any body in the forum encountered such problems before or has any suggestions at all, help please.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:12 pm

If one of the family members is an EU citizen, then usually a Birth certificates is required to prove that family relationship. Sometimes (hopefully always) embassies will also require a birth certificate if they are issuing a visa to a child whose name is different than the parents.

You did not provide a link the the web site and direct quote which you are wondering about, so it is hard to answer.

john353

Post by john353 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:25 pm

The link is given below. It comes under documents issued by Indian Authorities:

http://hcilondon.in/counslateservice1.php

john353

Post by john353 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:45 pm

I just called the indian high commission in london. They confirmed the information provided in the website, that they can't attest the birth certificate since it is issued from India. I have been trying to contact the greek embassy, but their number is always busy and no success so far. So still stuck as to if the birth certificate needs attestation as it is already in English.

Any suggestion is appreciated. Has anybody encountered a similar problem in the forum before?

neerajbans
Newly Registered

Post by neerajbans » Tue May 03, 2011 1:52 pm

Birth Certificate - Original, in English, is acceptable at the embassy. I have the direct experience of using it in the French Embassy and know the same from my friends who applied at the VFS Belgium.

Also, does your child's passport mention your name. If yes, it makes it even more easier.

john353

Post by john353 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:03 pm

Thanks neerajbans for your reply. Yes my son's passport obviously has both of our (parents) name in it. We have also the original birth certificate which was issued in India, with all relevant information in both local language and English.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue May 03, 2011 2:22 pm

john353 wrote:Yes my son's passport obviously has both of our (parents) name in it.
Interesting. USA/UK/Canadian passports do not mention the parents in a child's passport.

john353

Post by john353 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:34 pm

Details like Name of father and mother, permenant address, date of birth etc is always there in the Indian passport, whether it is for an adult or child.

hert

Post by hert » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:25 pm

@john353:
i'll be going through the same visa process now and am wondering if you could share more details.
so, did you manage to get visa?
also, did you have to get marriage & birth certificates stamped by indian embassy?
BTW- in our case, all of us have ILR.
Thanks

sidshekhar

Marriage Certificate

Post by sidshekhar » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:14 am

hert wrote:@john353:
i'll be going through the same visa process now and am wondering if you could share more details.
so, did you manage to get visa?
also, did you have to get marriage & birth certificates stamped by indian embassy?
BTW- in our case, all of us have ILR.
Thanks
Can some please give their experience on Schengen Visa and Marriage certificate. I would like to visit France with my wife and I have to present my marriage certificate during Visa process. My marriage certificate was issued in India and it is English. Do I still need to get it attested by Indian High Commission in London.
Does the french embasssy accept marriage certificate in English without attestation?
Siddhartha

HariMathy
Newly Registered

Re: Schengen Visa - Query

Post by HariMathy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi everybody,

My name is Manavalan, and i have the following issue. When i went to TLS Contact to submit the application for my son's schengen visa they mentioned that i need to get the birth certificate attested. but when i contacted indian embassy they said they wont do that.

So i dont know what to do, we are planning to celebrate his birthday in Disneyland Paris and now this Visa problem. i cant disappoint my son.

Could you please help me and let me know how did you get the Visa.

Thanks
Manavalan J

HariMathy
Newly Registered

Post by HariMathy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:01 pm

some more information about my case

im a British Citizen and my wife and son are Indian citizen having ILR visa. and they accepted my wife's application for Schengen visa only for my son they said birth certificate has to be attested.

Please help me..

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:47 pm

Where is the birth certificate from?
Where was the marriage certificate from?
Where are you all living now?

HariMathy
Newly Registered

Post by HariMathy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:07 pm

birth and marriage cert are from India, and we live in England now.

for my wife Visa application was approved

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:10 pm

Does the family name of the child match that of the mother?
How are you planning to get to France and when?

HariMathy
Newly Registered

Post by HariMathy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:15 pm

Yes it matches, and I'm going in feb last week by Eurostar.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:27 pm

Was your application refused? Or did you not submit it?

Note that this is a free movement application because you are the British father of the child and you will be travelling together. Be sure to mention that every time, again and again.

You son can go both on the basis of his relationship to his mother (your wife), as well as on his relationship directly to you. So in case there are different documents, either will do.

Contact Solvit http://ec.europa.eu/solvit/site/index_en.htm They are slow so start that now.

In the mean time, try to avoid VFS and talk directly to the embassy. Keep pushing.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:28 pm

It ought to be possible to avoid VFS. Keep quoting family member of an EU citizen.

salemboy99
Newly Registered

Post by salemboy99 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:07 pm

HariMathy wrote:Yes it matches, and I'm going in feb last week by Eurostar.
Hai...
I am an Indian national with tier 2 visa, my wife and my daughter are on dependent visas. I am facing the same issue with schengen visa- Italy VFS website states I need my daughter's birth certificate to be attested by indian embassy... My daughter's birth certificate was issued in India and is in English. Is it mandatory to get it attested or can I bite the bullet and take the risk of submitting the birth certificate without attestation?
what happened to your visa? did u get it the birth certificate attested?

rajsin

Post by rajsin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:33 pm

I don't have the answer you are looking for, but in case you have sufficient time you can get the birth certificate attested from CGI Birmingham or London. I went in person to attest my birth certificate and i was charged £20 odd, i had to provide them special delivery envelope and i received it in 2 days.

See link http://cgibirmingham.org/page/display/20 under section 'Legalisation/attestation of documents/ Powers of Attorney/Will etc.'
RS-77
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Non-EU/ICT LTS UK (Oct'11)/Married to CH National/Swiss B permit (Feb'14)

argyle_estate
Newly Registered

Post by argyle_estate » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Helping parents to complete the schengen visa form

Question 34 and 35 in the form ask for details about the family member who is an EU citizen and relationship to the citizen.

I am an EU citizen so I will provide my details in section 34

However my parents are not dependant on me – so do they need to leave section 35 blank or separately write in hand their relation (e.g. father/mother)?
As they are not dependent on me, so they don’t have any free movement right. They will apply for visa for tourism and will provide hotel and transportation bookings.
Do they also need to provide documents to prove relationship with me?

rajsin

Post by rajsin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Which country is this for? What is your citizenship? Please paste question 34 and 35 or paste the link of the visa form you are looking at.

argyle_estate
Newly Registered

Post by argyle_estate » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:53 pm

Schengen visa form template is same for all 26 countries e.g.
http://www.conslondra.esteri.it/NR/rdon ... rm_new.pdf

34. Personal data of the family member who is an EU, EEA or CH citizen
Surname First name(s)
Date of birth Nationality Number of travel document or ID card

35. Family relationship with an EU, EEA or CH citizen
spouse child grandchild dependent ascendant

I am British.