ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need help in getting job

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sachindew
Newly Registered

Need help in getting job

Post by sachindew » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:36 pm

Hello,

I recently got Tier-1 Visa and i am looking for job opportunities. But it seems nothing is working for me. Work experience in IT infrastrcture.
Exchange, BES, IM servers.

Any help appriciated.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:08 pm

What have you done so far?

Some suggestions:

Review your CV and look at it from the perspective that yours will be one of hundreds for the same job. In terms of looks, does it stand out (this isn't a complete win, as many agencies retype your CV anyway)? In terms of words and terms in your CV, can prospective employers find what they are looking for? Have you listed all relevant technologies & keywords (this is used by many agencies to reduce the number of CV's they have to read through - sometimes they will add in arbitrary additional keywords to narrow down the results (a good idea is to list all relevant keywords in your field and be honest if you don't know a specific technology).

For example, putting Microsoft Excel = Basic in your CV, says that you have a very basic understanding of Excel, but if the word Excel is searched for, your CV will appear (it could very well be that Excel isn't your selling point, but the rest of your CV is).

Is your CV completely free from spelling mistakes and properly formatted? Often CV's which look good on a PC, look terrible on a Mac - don't over-format your CV so that it ends up with these type of issues.

Have you been contacted by any agencies? Don't leave the ball in their court - keep phoning them back and following up with them. Often agencies simply forward on your CV and leave it at that. Companies then sit with 100 CV's and simply don't always get to them all. By following up, you are forcing them to look at your CV (I had that happen to me, but the company was a pain in the end).

sachindew
Newly Registered

Post by sachindew » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:22 am

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, i had been to UK for 2 weeks to search the job. But was not able to finalize anything. I had my CV done from one of the agencies. Right now i have a Local UK number diverted to my mobile phone in India. Also I had mentioned the local UK address. It generally happens like i get a intial call they understand the situation and never get the call after that.

This is been very furstating now for me. I am loosing hope of getting there a job.

Thanks again

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:39 am

Why are you trying to trick people into phoning you with a UK number? Rather be upfront about your situation. My CV had only my international number on and the location where I wanted to be in the UK with an explanation of exactly when I would arrive and I managed to set up interviews like that. No lying or diversions or fake addresses necessary.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:47 am

sachindew wrote: Yes, i had been to UK for 2 weeks to search the job.
That is nowhere close to the required time to do anything. It takes 2 weeks just to get your CV across from the agent and get the first interview scheduled
sachindew wrote: I had my CV done from one of the agencies.
Did you actually pay for the service? Seriously, it really hasnt improved your chances so far
sachindew wrote: Right now i have a Local UK number diverted to my mobile phone in India.
That's really not a good thing to do and irritates agents.
sachindew wrote: Also I had mentioned the local UK address. It generally happens like i get a intial call they understand the situation and never get the call after that.
Why will they get back to you?. Agents go through your CV, think they have found someone local in the UK (thanks to your giving a local number and address) and then call to find out its all a lie. Even if they think you are really good, you put them off by stating things incorrectly and they wil never bother coming back to you ever
sachindew wrote: This is been very furstating now for me. I am loosing hope of getting there a job.
You will not get a job this way. The previous poster has given really good advice. Not being here in person really lowers your chances which should be obvious and will take 10 times longer than usual. Your only bet is if there is some urgent need for your specific skillset and someone out there does not care where you are based will call you and get things sorted. They may check your CV, then check with the employer and call you. Only then you will know its a genuine chance to get something. Until then, agents are only calling you coz they think you are in the UK

KP

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:45 am

mulderpf wrote:Why are you trying to trick people into phoning you with a UK number? Rather be upfront about your situation. My CV had only my international number on and the location where I wanted to be in the UK with an explanation of exactly when I would arrive and I managed to set up interviews like that. No lying or diversions or fake addresses necessary.
I disagree. Recruiters won't consider you unless you are in the UK. However there is no point of using the UK number if you are not going to be able to get to the UK pretty readily if interviews are going to be set up.

I use a UK number but work all around Europe. When recruiters call, they hear the ring tone change when the number roams so you don't fool them for long. I'm in Europe, I can get to the UK quickly and cheaply. You are in India, that's not easy.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:49 am

Recruiters definitely DO consider candidates outside the UK, but just be upfront about it. Don't try and deceive them by putting on a UK number when you are in India.

I listed my overseas number and had a number of interviews over the phone and had some face-to-face interviews set up for when I arrived. I specifically did this, so that when recruiters, who chose to phone me, did, they knew that I wasn't in the UK and didn't have UK experience. There were also a larger number that emailed me, asking me to phone them, which I did.

At the time I still thought it was strange that so many recruiters want you to phone them, but once I got to the UK, I realised that it was because I didn't have a UK number listed and they obviously wanted to check how serious I was.

Either way, the OP is not doing it right. If he can't get to the UK easily for interviews, then why bother, but if it's a case of give me a few days and I'll attend an interview - then it should not be much of a barrier (harder, but not impossible).