ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Success in July 2011 at Solihull

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hrithikroshan
Newly Registered

ILR Success in July 2011 at Solihull

Post by hrithikroshan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:55 pm

Was granted ILR recently. I had booked my appointment at Solihull, Birmingham. The staff there are very friendly and helpful. I would advise everyone to go to Solihull itself after my experience.

First let me explain my case:
1. I have been working for the same employer ever since I first came to the UK. I was initially on work permit and then switched to Tier-1 in 2009.
2. My total absences were 132 days. 60 days were paid annual leave and remaining 72 days was one single absence when I had to go back to India after my end of assignment in the UK. I came back to UK after those 72 days and continued in the same project. Please note that during this period I was not paid here in the UK (I was paid in India). Also I did not have any residential links in UK like owning/renting house, paying bills etc. Only my bank account was active during those 2.5 months when I was back in India. So this was a slight concern for me as there was a break in UK employment. But I guess since it was less than 90 days it did not matter.
3. My other concern was gaps in the 'Valid Until' date and 'Valid from' date in 3 of my work permit extension visas. There were gaps of 45, 30 and 40 days in my work permit visa extensions. Example: if my work permit was valid till 20-Dec-2007, then the valid from date of the next subsequent work permit extension was 05-Feb-2008. And there were such gaps in 3 work permit extensions. My guess is that the work permit extensions were filed late by my employer. Anyway no issues were raised about this as well so I guess it's not an issue.

Documents Carried:
I did not want to take any chances and hence carried a lot of stuff which was not required. Anyway have mentioned everything below:
1. Application Form (with 2 recent photos in a sealed envelope)
2. Passport
3. Birth Certificate
4. Print of the appointment letter
5. Print of the Points Calculator Self-Assessment
6. 12 months original bank statements
7. 12 months pay slips (attested and stamped)
8. Life in the UK pass letter
9. All P60 Forms
10. All work permit letters/Tier-1 approval letter/Tier-1 application receipt letter
11. Original Bachelor Degree Certificate
12. UK payslips for the months when I had taken paid annual leave (just in case I was asked to prove that I was paid during those months)
13. A letter from my client company to verify that during those 72 days I worked from India for the same project (just in case the case worker wanted to know the reason for absence during those 72 days)
14. All official letters received from my employer right from date of joining in UK. I also managed to get a reference letter from them stating my start date in the UK, assignments worked on and that they would continue to employ me (personally I believe this is not needed at all if you are applying for ILR from Tier-1, but still carried it along)
15. Tenancy agreements/2-3 utility bills for each house that I had rented in the UK
16. Main covering letter and supplementary notes for each relevant section (4,5,6,9A-A,9A-B,9A-C,9A-D,9A-E)

When I reached there, was asked to show the application form. They confirmed that it was the right one and the latest version. After that had to undergo the normal security check (like the ones done at airports). Was then issued a ticket number.

At around 9:45 my ticket number was called and I had to go to a counter where I met the case worker. He was also very friendly. He asked me to pass on the application form and passport to him. He quickly skimmed through the application form. Next he asked for bank statements/payslips. He was impressed that I had highlighted the salary credit entries in the bank statements and the gross pay, net pay and expenses in my payslips. And finally he asked for the Life in the UK pass letter. He used to go away for some time in between, maybe he was asking someone else to verify the documents provided. Not sure.

But that was it. No other documents asked. No questions about the absences, gaps in work permit dates etc. Thus only documents I actually submitted were:
1. Passport
2. Application Form
3. Life in the UK pass letter
4. 12 months UK payslips (attested and stamped)
5. 12 months original bank statements

After 15 minutes (around 10), he said he was happy to grant settlement and asked me to proceed to make the payment which was at the next counter. I made the payment of £1350 by Debit Card (Visa).

After making the payment I was asked to come back and meet him. He told me that a CRB check would be done and if that goes fine then I would get my passport with the ILR visa.

Now starts the best part.

I had not added my wife as a dependant on the ILR application because as per the rules she was not yet eligible. She is currently on a Tier-1 dependant visa which is valid till March 2012. She came to UK in Jan 2010 and hence would complete her 2 years only in Jan 2012. So as per advice given to me, we had decided to apply for spouse visa for her using FLR(M). She had also booked her appointment on the same day at 13:30 (she could not have applied with me, as FLR-M is application of visa for dependant of a person who has ILR and I was applying for ILR which could also possibly have been rejected). Hence as advised we had booked a separate appointment for her on the same day keeping at least 4.5 hours gap.

After I made the payment and went back to the case worker, I told him about my wife's case. He was very kind and agreed to do her case as well and sent a call for her. My wife joined me at the case worker's counter. She was asked the below documents:
1. Passport
2. Marriage Certifcate
3. For the new english language requirement, she gave her original bachelor degree certificate and print of the points calculator assessment with detailed steps of how to find the degree on the points calculator. (Please note that No Naric certificate was shown). We proved her Indian bachelor degree was equivalent to UK degree as it was on the points calculator and hence recognised by NARIC.

That's it. He did not ask anything else. He said he was happy to grant her also spouse visa under FLR(M) and asked us to make the payment. Again I made the payment of £850 by Debit Card (Visa). He then asked us to wait outside. He told my wife that she would be called in some time for the Biometric requirements.

We waited outside for about 20-25 minutes. She had the Biometric appointment then which finished in 5 minutes. And then when we were sitting and waiting the most unexpected thing happened. 2 case workers came to us. They told us that they saw my wife's case and in their opinion there was no need to apply for FLR(M). They said that my wife could continue to stay till Jan 2012 and then apply for ILR directly. I told them that I had thought about this but home office advisors told me to apply for FLR(M). They said that the home office guys had given me wrong information. They go by the guidelines and this scenario is not there in the guidelines and hence because they were not sure they might have given me the advice to apply for FLR(M). The case workers told me that there was absolutely no probelm for my wife to continue till Jan 2012 and then apply for ILR. And guess what they refunded £850!!!

I then got my passport (with the new visa stamped) and documents submitted. And we happily left the office at around 11:45.

So was a great day at Solihull. :-)
Last edited by hrithikroshan on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

sonrak
Newly Registered

Success at Solihull ILR

Post by sonrak » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:06 am

Applied in person at Solihull on 7th July. Main points to remember in my case:
Applying under April to Nov 2006 HSMP Ilr Jr
They asked for the reference number for my appointment which I had received in post.
They checked the form and made sure I had the latest version.
Security check and then given a ticket number.
After 15 minutes called for the interview.
Main documents asked were the application form, passport for me, my wife, 2 kids, birth certificate, proof of cohabitation for last 2 years, my personal bank statements for 3 months, my business bank statements for 3 months, accountant letters confirming my income, letters from hmrc regarding my self employed status.
Case worker looked through the docs and went inside, came back in couple of minutes, said everything looks fine.
Asked me to make payment at another counter and come back to collect passport in 2 hours.
I went back in one and half hour and passport was ready to collect with all the documents!

imranb

Re: ILR Success in July 2011 at Solihull

Post by imranb » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:41 am

hrithikroshan wrote:Was granted ILR recently. I had booked my appointment at Solihull, Birmingham. The staff there are very friendly and helpful. I would advise everyone to go to Solihull itself after my experience.

First let me explain my case:
1. I have been working for the same employer ever since I first came to the UK. I was initially on work permit and then switched to Tier-1 in 2009.
2. My total absences were 132 days. 60 days were paid annual leave and remaining 72 days was one single absence when I had to go back to India after my end of assignment in the UK. I came back to UK after those 72 days and continued in the same project. Please note that during this period I was not paid here in the UK (I was paid in India). Also I did not have any residential links in UK like owning/renting house, paying bills etc. Only my bank account was active during those 2.5 months when I was back in India. So this was a slight concern for me as there was a break in UK employment. But I guess since it was less than 90 days it did not matter.
3. My other concern was gaps in the 'Valid Until' date and 'Valid from' date in 3 of my work permit extension visas. There were gaps of 45, 30 and 40 days in my work permit visa extensions. Example: if my work permit was valid till 20-Dec-2007, then the valid from date of the next subsequent work permit extension was 05-Feb-2008. And there were such gaps in 3 work permit extensions. My guess is that the work permit extensions were filed late by my employer. Anyway no issues were raised about this as well so I guess it's not an issue.

Documents Carried:
I did not want to take any chances and hence carried a lot of stuff which was not required. Anyway have mentioned everything below:
1. Application Form (with 2 recent photos in a sealed envelope)
2. Passport
3. Birth Certificate
4. Print of the appointment letter
5. Print of the Points Calculator Self-Assessment
6. 12 months original bank statements
7. 12 months pay slips (attested and stamped)
8. Life in the UK pass letter
9. All P60 Forms
10. All work permit letters/Tier-1 approval letter/Tier-1 application receipt letter
11. Original Bachelor Degree Certificate
12. UK payslips for the months when I had taken paid annual leave (just in case I was asked to prove that I was paid during those months)
13. A letter from my client company to verify that during those 72 days I worked from India for the same project (just in case the case worker wanted to know the reason for absence during those 72 days)
14. All official letters received from my employer right from date of joining in UK. I also managed to get a reference letter from them stating my start date in the UK, assignments worked on and that they would continue to employ me (personally I believe this is not needed at all if you are applying for ILR from Tier-1, but still carried it along)
15. Tenancy agreements/2-3 utility bills for each house that I had rented in the UK
16. Main covering letter and supplementary notes for each relevant section (4,5,6,9A-A,9A-B,9A-C,9A-D,9A-E)

When I reached there, was asked to show the application form. They confirmed that it was the right one and the latest version. After that had to undergo the normal security check (like the ones done at airports). Was then issued a ticket number.

At around 9:45 my ticket number was called and I had to go to a counter where I met the case worker. He was also very friendly. He asked me to pass on the application form and passport to him. He quickly skimmed through the application form. Next he asked for bank statements/payslips. He was impressed that I had highlighted the salary credit entries in the bank statements and the gross pay, net pay and expenses in my payslips. And finally he asked for the Life in the UK pass letter. He used to go away for some time in between, maybe he was asking someone else to verify the documents provided. Not sure.

But that was it. No other documents asked. No questions about the absences, gaps in work permit dates etc. Thus only documents I actually submitted were:
1. Passport
2. Application Form
3. Life in the UK pass letter
4. 12 months UK payslips (attested and stamped)
5. 12 months original bank statements

After 15 minutes (around 10), he said he was happy to grant settlement and asked me to proceed to make the payment which was at the next counter. I made the payment of £1350 by Debit Card (Visa).

After making the payment I was asked to come back and meet him. He told me that a CRB check would be done and if that goes fine then I would get my passport with the ILR visa.

Now starts the best part.

I had not added my wife as a dependant on the ILR application because as per the rules she was not yet eligible. She is currently on a Tier-1 dependant visa which is valid till March 2012. She came to UK in Jan 2010 and hence would complete her 2 years only in Jan 2012. So as per advice given to me, we had decided to apply for spouse visa for her using FLR(M). She had also booked her appointment on the same day at 13:30 (she could not have applied with me, as FLR-M is application of visa for dependant of a person who has ILR and I was applying for ILR which could also possibly have been rejected). Hence as advised we had booked a separate appointment for her on the same day keeping at least 4.5 hours gap.

After I made the payment and went back to the case worker, I told him about my wife's case. He was very kind and agreed to do her case as well and sent a call for her. My wife joined me at the case worker's counter. She was asked the below documents:
1. Passport
2. Marriage Certifcate
3. For the new english language requirement, she gave her original bachelor degree certificate and print of the points calculator assessment with detailed steps of how to find the degree on the points calculator. (Please note that No Naric certificate was shown). We proved her Indian bachelor degree was equivalent to UK degree as it was on the points calculator and hence recognised by NARIC.

That's it. He did not ask anything else. He said he was happy to grant her also spouse visa under FLR(M) and asked us to make the payment. Again I made the payment of £850 by Debit Card (Visa). He then asked us to wait outside. He told my wife that she would be called in some time for the Biometric requirements.

We waited outside for about 20-25 minutes. She had the Biometric appointment then which finished in 5 minutes. And then when we were sitting and waiting the most unexpected thing happened. 2 case workers came to us. They told us that they saw my wife's case and in their opinion there was no need to apply for FLR(M). They said that my wife could continue to stay till Jan 2012 and then apply for ILR directly. I told them that I had thought about this but home office advisors told me to apply for FLR(M). They said that the home office guys had given me wrong information. They go by the guidelines and this scenario is not there in the guidelines and hence because they were not sure they might have given me the advice to apply for FLR(M). The case workers told me that there was absolutely no probelm for my wife to continue till Jan 2012 and then apply for ILR. And guess what they refunded £850!!!

I then got my passport (with the new visa stamped) and documents submitted. And we happily left the office at around 11:45.

So was a great day at Solihull. :-)
Hey Hrithik,
Did you dance to the tune of 'Ek pal ka jeena tannan tannan tan tannan tannan tan' after you got the ILR stamped? :D
Sorry all, I couldn't resist this post looking at the name selected by my friend....

umb

Post by umb » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:01 am

hrithikroshan wrote: I had not added my wife as a dependant on the ILR application because as per the rules she was not yet eligible. She is currently on a Tier-1 dependant visa which is valid till March 2012. She came to UK in Jan 2010 and hence would complete her 2 years only in Jan 2012.
Hi, Congratulations on having the ILR. I have a question though about not including your wife in the ILR application. I'm under the impression that when applying for settlement, time restrictions apply to main applicant only and not the dependants. Am I right?

Thanks

CullenD
Newly Registered

Post by CullenD » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:02 pm

Congratz on the success!

One question if you don't mind me asking: Was you income higher or lower than than the last time when you applied for Teir 1?

Thanks in advance
Dave

hrithikroshan
Newly Registered

Post by hrithikroshan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:03 pm

@CullenD: My salary had increased but it was still in the same band, and hence I claimed same number of points for Previous Earnings Section as I had claimed during my initial Tier-1 application.

@umb: It is clearly stated in the UKBA website that dependant will be eligible for settlement only if he/she has spent 24 months (2 years) with the main applicant in the UK.
However you are right that there are no restrictions on the number of days absent from the UK for the dependant (which applies to the main applicant). Thus I guess even if there is an absence of some number of months for the dependant it should be fine as long as you can furnish enough evidence that he/she was staying with you whilst they were in the UK (tenancy agreement/utility bills/council tax/NHS registration/Electoral registration etc).
Thus in my case, my wife will only become eligible for settlement in Jan 2012 as she came to UK as my wife in Jan 2010. She has stayed with me ever since. But even if she had gone back to India for some months in between it would not have mattered. Hope that helps.

@imranb: No, I danced to the tune of "Jai Jai Shiv Shankar!!!" :)

kalpitsom

Post by kalpitsom » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:08 pm

hrithikroshan wrote: 3. For the new english language requirement, she gave her original bachelor degree certificate and print of the points calculator assessment with detailed steps of how to find the degree on the points calculator. (Please note that No Naric certificate was shown). We proved her Indian bachelor degree was equivalent to UK degree as it was on the points calculator and hence recognised by NARIC.
Is the "english language requirement" mandatory for tier 1 dependent (spouse) at the time of FLR / ILR application?

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Post by khalidmirza » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:56 am

umb wrote:
hrithikroshan wrote: I had not added my wife as a dependant on the ILR application because as per the rules she was not yet eligible. She is currently on a Tier-1 dependant visa which is valid till March 2012. She came to UK in Jan 2010 and hence would complete her 2 years only in Jan 2012.
Hi, Congratulations on having the ILR. I have a question though about not including your wife in the ILR application. I'm under the impression that when applying for settlement, time restrictions apply to main applicant only and not the dependants. Am I right?

Thanks
Two years for wife to be in uk has become quite confusing. On this board many got ILR for less than 2 years of dependent stay in uk while a larger number is being refused even for a shortfall of few days/weeks. Probably the clause of Dependents will follow the main applicant under JR might have some different interpretations by case workers.. Those two case workers who suggested you the right thing were probably the Divine help because going for Set (M) would have delayed her ILR much longer.
Congratulations mate.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:19 am

hrithikroshan wrote:They told us that they saw my wife's case and in their opinion there was no need to apply for FLR(M). They said that my wife could continue to stay till Jan 2012 and then apply for ILR directly. I told them that I had thought about this but home office advisors told me to apply for FLR(M). They said that the home office guys had given me wrong information. They go by the guidelines and this scenario is not there in the guidelines and hence because they were not sure they might have given me the advice to apply for FLR(M). The case workers told me that there was absolutely no probelm for my wife to continue till Jan 2012 and then apply for ILR.
This contradicts with another UKBA's response!
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:18 pm

I am wondering what would this mean in my case:

Mine HSMP + Tier1 visa expires : July 20 2012
and my wife's Tier1 dependent on : July 20 2012 (She entered UK on 31st Oct 2010)
So she will complete 1year 9months (less than 2 years) when her visa expires.

I will get ILR on or before July 20th ... I have a UK born baby... Can I apply ILR for my wife along with my application or should I apply for FLR(M) first and then after 2 months apply for ILR ? are there any cases where they have approved ILR for spouse less than 2 years stay ?

Experts please advice ...

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:30 pm

I think your wife need to apply on FLR(M) first and once she has spent 2 years, she can then apply for ILR.

jd
Member of Standing

Post by jd » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:09 pm

sunil.suneel wrote:I am wondering what would this mean in my case:

and my wife's Tier1 dependent on : July 20 2012 (She entered UK on 31st Oct 2010)

I will get ILR on or before July 20th ... I have a UK born baby... Can I apply ILR for my wife along with my application or should I apply for FLR(M) first and then after 2 months apply for ILR ? are there any cases where they have approved ILR for spouse less than 2 years stay ?

I've a similar case visa till 22 NOV 2012 and I'll be eligible to apply for ILR after 24/25 OCT 2012 but my wife's 2 years won't be completed as she is coming this March for first time in UK.

It looks very simple that I can go to PEO, apply for ILR and apply for my wife's extension but my worry is that what happens if they don't decide my case on same day? what happens if my wife's visa expires while my case is still with homeoffice?

Not sure what to do. 2nd option is apply for extension.

Any comments will be much appreciated!

hrithikroshan
Newly Registered

Post by hrithikroshan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:26 pm

vinny wrote:
hrithikroshan wrote:They told us that they saw my wife's case and in their opinion there was no need to apply for FLR(M). They said that my wife could continue to stay till Jan 2012 and then apply for ILR directly. I told them that I had thought about this but home office advisors told me to apply for FLR(M). They said that the home office guys had given me wrong information. They go by the guidelines and this scenario is not there in the guidelines and hence because they were not sure they might have given me the advice to apply for FLR(M). The case workers told me that there was absolutely no probelm for my wife to continue till Jan 2012 and then apply for ILR.
This contradicts with another UKBA's response!
Hi Vinny...don't know what the other case was...there might be some thing different...just wanted to let everyone know that my wife was granted ILR in Feb...also during these six months when she was still a tier 1 dependant while I was on ILR we went out of UK twice and were not asked any questions by the immigration guys at the airport...but I feel we were just lucky...the birmingham guys were really good and saved my 800 pounds...:-)

rajasekhar_you

Post by rajasekhar_you » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:12 pm

jd wrote:

I've a similar case visa till 22 NOV 2012 and I'll be eligible to apply for ILR after 24/25 OCT 2012 but my wife's 2 years won't be completed as she is coming this March for first time in UK.

It looks very simple that I can go to PEO, apply for ILR and apply for my wife's extension but my worry is that what happens if they don't decide my case on same day? what happens if my wife's visa expires while my case is still with homeoffice?

can any one asnwer the above jd question please?

i have a similar case. my wife will not finish 2 yrs when i get ILR, so i am quite sure they will not allow her to apply ILR with me with shortage of 2 months. my question is what if application delays? what if they ask me to submit few more documents , what will happen to my wife application which i am planning to submit a week after my appointment.?
has anybody been in this situation ?

Smam

Post by Smam » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:51 am

Hi

Lots and lots of heartiest congratulations on getting your ILR and thanks a lot for sharing your PEO experience with us on the forum.

Please do kindly keep us posted once you'll receive your BRP cards.

Good luck for the future.

rajasekhar_you

Post by rajasekhar_you » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:57 pm

rajasekhar_you wrote:
jd wrote:

can any one asnwer the above jd question please?

i have a similar case. my wife will not finish 2 yrs when i get ILR, so i am quite sure they will not allow her to apply ILR with me with shortage of 2 months. my question is what if application delays? what if they ask me to submit few more documents , what will happen to my wife application which i am planning to submit a week after my appointment.?
has anybody been in this situation ?
can anybody answer this question me please?
I will be applying SET-M for my wife , what shd be the situation when my applications is delayed for some reason? they can definitely not grant FLR to my wife when my case is pending. i think her case also will be delayed until any decision on mine is taken, event though it is PEO ? worse case situation.

sudha01
Newly Registered

Post by sudha01 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:38 am

Dear Sir,

In Solihull can you book appointment without paying the fees?

WR1

Post by WR1 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:40 pm

sudha01 wrote:Dear Sir,

In Solihull can you book appointment without paying the fees?
If you are talking about a PEO appointment then no. You need to pay the full fee in advance for any centre whether it's Solihull or Liverpool etc...
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:43 pm

In old days, you could book an appointment online for free and could turn up at the PEO, but as Sudha suggested, you can no longer do this.