ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Criteria for UK passport holders emigrating to France?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

traveller1
Newly Registered

Criteria for UK passport holders emigrating to France?

Post by traveller1 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:20 pm

Can someone please tell me if UK passport holders have to meet any particular criteria (such as financial) to get right to reside in France?

And if so, what criteria?

I have enough to buy a house outright and pay the bills (if I live modestly, which I do) but I'm not wealthy by any means.

SRAQAI

Re: Criteria for UK passport holders emigrating to France?

Post by SRAQAI » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:26 pm

traveller1 wrote:Can someone please tell me if UK passport holders have to meet any particular criteria (such as financial) to get right to reside in France?

I have enough to buy a house outright and pay the bills (if I live modestly, which I do) but I'm not wealthy by any means.
Is this a joke? I don't get it. You do realize that both California and Texas ARE, aside from what you may think, in the same country, right? And no, you do not need a passport to travel from Texas to California. :roll:

Im hoping that you will find your answer in my analogy.

mastermind

Post by mastermind » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:48 pm

skele

Post by skele » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:50 pm

SRAQAI wrote:
traveller1 wrote:Can someone please tell me if UK passport holders have to meet any particular criteria (such as financial) to get right to reside in France?

Is this a joke? I don't get it. You do realize that both California and Texas ARE, aside from what you may think, in the same country, right? And no, you do not need a passport to travel from Texas to California. :roll:

Im hoping that you will find your answer in my analogy.

Not everyone is aware of their rights under EU regulations and you know what? Most officials in most countries are unaware or will lie about what your rights are.

Traveller 1, if you have enough money to support yourself or have a job in France, you will be fine.

SRAQAI

Post by SRAQAI » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:44 pm

Skele - yes your right, sorry, I had just finished screaming at my computer screen, after getting an email from SOLVIT, when I posted this :D

skele

Post by skele » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:55 pm

SRAQAI, i totally understand your frustration and what you're going through right now and if you'd just had an email from UK SOLVIT, i understand how you must have been blowing a gasket at that particular moment!
Was your email from Chris by any chance?!
Please do get in touch, if I can help you in any way, having been through a similar situation, I will be happy to. Otherwise to fight this thing and not let them get away with it and take it as far as it can go, I'm ready. :D

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:30 am

The basic answer is that a citizen of any EU member state, for example the UK, can move to another member state.

For the first 90 days they just have to be alive. No other requirements on their stay.

If they want to stay for longer, they have to either be working, be self employed, be looking for a job, be a student, or be general financially self-sufficient. They may be required to register with the local government, or may not be. (EU citizens coming to the UK are not required to register with anyone, but must be in one of the categories I mentioned).

And then you just get on with you life like a local would.

EndOfStory

SRAQAI

Post by SRAQAI » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:39 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote: For the first 90 days they just have to be alive.
EndOfStory
Really? :D Well, what happens when you are dead? Do you have no rights whatsoever? Surely, we should still be treated like locals..... :D

SRAQAI

Post by SRAQAI » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:40 am

To traveler1 = just up and leave, dont forget your passport.... you have every right to live in France, as much as you have the right to live in the UK :) Unless, apparently, you are dead, of course :)

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:49 am

@SRAQAI: That's right...passport is required. Not like the silly waste of time answer that you provided above:

"You do realize that both California and Texas ARE, aside from what you may think, in the same country, right? And no, you do not need a passport to travel from Texas to California."

Unhelpful...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:44 pm

chaoclive wrote:@SRAQAI: That's right...passport is required. Not like the silly waste of time answer that you provided above:

"You do realize that both California and Texas ARE, aside from what you may think, in the same country, right? And no, you do not need a passport to travel from Texas to California."

Unhelpful...
This thread is 3 years old (2011) :shock:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:03 pm

:oops:
It showed up in the list of threads with unread posts for me...I didn't even check the dates! :roll: