ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Benefit - After ILR for my 4 years old son

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jimmylau8080

Child Benefit - After ILR for my 4 years old son

Post by jimmylau8080 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Dear All

I plan to apply ILR (permanent resident) soon for me and my wife, but my son is not included in the application because he is born in UK.

Once my ILR (permanent resident) is approved, can I apply child care benefit? Or I need to wait for the MN1 application that the register my son who aged under 18 as a British citizen being approved?

If I not mistaken, they allow to claim the Child Benefit for up to three months before the date you make your claim. Does it mean I can claim three months before my ILR after my ILR approved?

Please advised

Thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:28 pm

You can claim child benefit once you have ilr. Claims for child benefit can be backdated for three months but not if you were not eligible to claim in that three month period in other words your claim cannot be back dated to before you were granted ilr.

plaistow2005
Newly Registered

Post by plaistow2005 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:18 pm

Greenie wrote:You can claim child benefit once you have ilr.
Hi, I have a similar situation, I've got my ILR, but my UK born son was not included. I have filled the MN1 form and now waiting to get it approved.

My question is while I am waiting to get the result of MN1 application, can I apply for Child Benefit?
Obviously my son is currently neither on ILR nor British and I am wondering whether he is eligible for CB or not until his BC get approved.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:15 am

plaistow2005 wrote:
Greenie wrote:You can claim child benefit once you have ilr.
Hi, I have a similar situation, I've got my ILR, but my UK born son was not included. I have filled the MN1 form and now waiting to get it approved.

My question is while I am waiting to get the result of MN1 application, can I apply for Child Benefit?
Obviously my son is currently neither on ILR nor British and I am wondering whether he is eligible for CB or not until his BC get approved.
it is you and who is claiming the benefit, not your son therefore it is your eligibility that matters. You can therefore claim child benefit. However you'll need to have the child's birth certificate and evidence of your ilr- are these with ukba?

plaistow2005
Newly Registered

Post by plaistow2005 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:39 am

Greenie wrote:However you'll need to have the child's birth certificate and evidence of your ilr- are these with ukba?
Thanks Greenie, it is clear now. The documents are with me as I applied the MN1 application through NCS and they only took copy.

You already said "claims for child benefit can be backdated for three months" and my question is can I wait three months after ILR grant date then answer NO to Question 18 (Are you subject to immigration control now, or have you been at any time in the last three months?) in the CB form?
I am guessing this will give less hassle to the process of my application and also I don't loos anything as i can claim for three months back ward.

A_Thinker
Newly Registered

Documents Required to Claim Child Benefit

Post by A_Thinker » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:31 pm

I'm in a similar situation. I've got my ILR and applied for my son's citizenship via NCS. I've got my childs birth certificate and my PassPort with ILR stamp.

I've got 2 questions:
1. Are these the only 2 documents in original required?
2. How much time it takes to get the original doc back and the benefits payment to start?

Keyrun

Post by Keyrun » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:44 pm

Greenie wrote:You can claim child benefit once you have ilr. Claims for child benefit can be backdated for three months but not if you were not eligible to claim in that three month period in other words your claim cannot be back dated to before you were granted ilr.
Hi Greenie, As you mentioned the CB can be backdated but if not eligible then we shouldnt but there is nothing on the form which i can put a date from where i want the benefit to start. any advise please on how to about this ?

REGISTRATION

Post by REGISTRATION » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:10 pm

After My ILR

I applied for registration first (next day after ILR), it took about 6 weeks

meanwhile prepared all CB forms and right after getting registration certificate applied for CB with original (short) BC

and at the same time applied for CTC but they check the details with CB for verification and they sent the letter they are unable to verify - mentioned them sending the CB same day (they are verifying with them again)

now got paid with CB backdated to the time of "immigration control" and still waiting for CTC

A_Thinker
Newly Registered

Post by A_Thinker » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:42 pm

REGISTRATION wrote:After My ILR

I applied for registration first (next day after ILR), it took about 6 weeks

meanwhile prepared all CB forms and right after getting registration certificate applied for CB with original (short) BC

and at the same time applied for CTC but they check the details with CB for verification and they sent the letter they are unable to verify - mentioned them sending the CB same day (they are verifying with them again)

now got paid with CB backdated to the time of "immigration control" and still waiting for CTC
Hi,

Thanks for the information. So you just sent your childs BC only. You were not asked for your or your wife's original passport with ILR stamp.

Please clarify.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Keyrun wrote:
Greenie wrote:You can claim child benefit once you have ilr. Claims for child benefit can be backdated for three months but not if you were not eligible to claim in that three month period in other words your claim cannot be back dated to before you were granted ilr.
Hi Greenie, As you mentioned the CB can be backdated but if not eligible then we shouldnt but there is nothing on the form which i can put a date from where i want the benefit to start. any advise please on how to about this ?
the form asks if you were subjec to immigration control in the last 3 months. so you would answer yes to this question.

Keyrun

Post by Keyrun » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:53 am

Thanks Greenie.

REGISTRATION

Post by REGISTRATION » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:27 am

I think i sent the copy of passports as well

everything sorted now, cb took about 40 days and ctc took about 50 days

in total

Keyrun

Post by Keyrun » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:33 am

REGISTRATION wrote:I think i sent the copy of passports as well

everything sorted now, cb took about 40 days and ctc took about 50 days

in total
Hi REGISTRATION, did you send the copy of passport or the passport itself ?

abed9631
Newly Registered

Post by abed9631 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:25 pm

I don't know why...but some people tend to complicate certain matters which are in fact pretty simple to understand and follow....may be over consciousness. Anyway, I myself have been through this process and can tell you what happenned........I got ilr on 23rd Feb.......applied for CB the week after (child's short BC and copy of my passport included)...........BC returned+confirmation of CB received next week........money deposited on my acc backdated for 2 weeks. So you can see that applying for CB is very simple and straight forward thing...........No need to send child's full BC.............or parents original passport........or to register the child as British Citizen before applying for CB. I presume that they've robust system in place to check your detail very quickly and satisfactorily.

Hope this helps people who will be applying CB in future.

A_Thinker
Newly Registered

Post by A_Thinker » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:28 pm

abed9631 wrote:I don't know why...but some people tend to complicate certain matters which are in fact pretty simple to understand and follow....may be over consciousness. Anyway, I myself have been through this process and can tell you what happenned........I got ilr on 23rd Feb.......applied for CB the week after (child's short BC and copy of my passport included)...........BC returned+confirmation of CB received next week........money deposited on my acc backdated for 2 weeks. So you can see that applying for CB is very simple and straight forward thing...........No need to send child's full BC.............or parents original passport........or to register the child as British Citizen before applying for CB. I presume that they've robust system in place to check your detail very quickly and satisfactorily.

Thank you- this does helps.

asdf786

Post by asdf786 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:41 am

abed9631 wrote:I don't know why...but some people tend to complicate certain matters which are in fact pretty simple to understand and follow....may be over consciousness. Anyway, I myself have been through this process and can tell you what happenned........I got ilr on 23rd Feb.......applied for CB the week after (child's short BC and copy of my passport included)...........BC returned+confirmation of CB received next week........money deposited on my acc backdated for 2 weeks. So you can see that applying for CB is very simple and straight forward thing...........No need to send child's full BC.............or parents original passport........or to register the child as British Citizen before applying for CB. I presume that they've robust system in place to check your detail very quickly and satisfactorily.

I agree and found that people around you sometimes make things very complicated. I am going to get ILR card tomorrow and i want to apply for CB but one of my friend said:

"It will impact negatively to your application of Naturalisation & passport?"

What do you say about this?