ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IRIS scheme - no passport stamps - problem for ILR?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kiwi_in_the_uk

IRIS scheme - no passport stamps - problem for ILR?

Post by kiwi_in_the_uk » Thu May 28, 2009 10:29 pm

Hi all

I am about to apply for ILR at a PEO after 4 years on HSMP, and am wondering whether the lack of re-entry stamps in my passport will be a problem. I registered with the IRIS eye scanning system, so haven't been physically stamped for quite some time. (Though I do have some, including my original entry 4 years ago)

Anyone have any experience of this?

I have found a couple of threads that suggest it might not be a problem, but nothing really definitive.

Thanks in advance!

tech
Member of Standing

Post by tech » Thu May 28, 2009 10:54 pm

"You will only receive a ticket from the IRIS barrier if you require written permission to enter the United Kingdom (known as 'leave to enter') and you are a national of a country whose citizens do not normally require a visa to enter the United Kingdom (known as 'non-visa nationals'). For example, if you are a visitor who does need permission to enter the United Kingdom and you are registered for IRIS, the IRIS barrier will print a written ticket that confirms your permission to enter each time you arrive. The ticket will show any conditions imposed on your permission to enter and will give the IRIS identity number and your own details that you gave when you registered."

What about the ticket ? Kiwis are 'non-visa nationals' ? right ?

kiwi_in_the_uk

Post by kiwi_in_the_uk » Fri May 29, 2009 6:55 am

Unfortunately, no tickets were ever issued. I think receipts are issued the first time IRIS is used, but not after. So I simply have a lack of stamps, and a hope that the PEO will be OK with that - or can verify with IRIS.

munisa

Post by munisa » Fri May 29, 2009 10:35 am

kiwi_in_the_uk wrote:Unfortunately, no tickets were ever issued. I think receipts are issued the first time IRIS is used, but not after. So I simply have a lack of stamps, and a hope that the PEO will be OK with that - or can verify with IRIS.
You will be OK at the PEO without stamps, but it will add a couple of extra minutes at the interview desk as the CW looks through the IRIS system. It is best if you can prepare a spreadsheet showing dates when you left and re entered UK, showing the total days and split between days you were out on business and holidays. With that you need not worry about stamps.
A Good Opportunity never occurs twice!

kiwi_in_the_uk

Post by kiwi_in_the_uk » Fri May 29, 2009 10:39 am

munisa wrote:
kiwi_in_the_uk wrote:Unfortunately, no tickets were ever issued. I think receipts are issued the first time IRIS is used, but not after. So I simply have a lack of stamps, and a hope that the PEO will be OK with that - or can verify with IRIS.
You will be OK at the PEO without stamps, but it will add a couple of extra minutes at the interview desk as the CW looks through the IRIS system. It is best if you can prepare a spreadsheet showing dates when you left and re entered UK, showing the total days and split between days you were out on business and holidays. With that you need not worry about stamps.
Thanks Munisa - do you know that they definitely have access to IRIS?

munisa

Post by munisa » Fri May 29, 2009 11:04 am

[/quote]

Thanks Munisa - do you know that they definitely have access to IRIS?[/quote]

I am not certain that they have access to IRIS. In general they have access to all systems related to HO. If your total number of days doesnt exceed the maximum allowed, the dates on your form and spreadsheet will suffice. You dont have to worry about the stamps.
Last edited by munisa on Fri May 29, 2009 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi_in_the_uk

Post by kiwi_in_the_uk » Fri May 29, 2009 11:08 am

Thanks Munisa. I also called the HO just now, and basically they wouldn't give me a straight answer. I suspect that I will have to post the application, just to avoid the possibility of being turned down on the day and having all that money go to waste.

Now, I wonder if I can "give" my PEO appt to anyone? :shock:

munisa

Post by munisa » Fri May 29, 2009 11:23 am

kiwi_in_the_uk wrote:Thanks Munisa. I also called the HO just now, and basically they wouldn't give me a straight answer. I suspect that I will have to post the application, just to avoid the possibility of being turned down on the day and having all that money go to waste.

PEO attendance in person is your best option. While there, you can explain virtually everything and they will do every check while you are there. They are quite polite so long as you keep your cool. They will only refuse your application based on facts or lack of specified documents. If I was in your shoes I would go for PEO because IRIS is part of their 'process' just like ID cards are replacing paper vignettes. You will be fine!

kiwi_in_the_uk

Post by kiwi_in_the_uk » Fri May 29, 2009 11:29 am

munisa wrote:
kiwi_in_the_uk wrote:Thanks Munisa. I also called the HO just now, and basically they wouldn't give me a straight answer. I suspect that I will have to post the application, just to avoid the possibility of being turned down on the day and having all that money go to waste.

PEO attendance in person is your best option. While there, you can explain virtually everything and they will do every check while you are there. They are quite polite so long as you keep your cool. They will only refuse your application based on facts or lack of specified documents. If I was in your shoes I would go for PEO because IRIS is part of their 'process' just like ID cards are replacing paper vignettes. You will be fine!
I would dearly love to. Yes, I can explain everything, but they may not want explanations - they may want actual verification.

You said you weren't sure whether IRIS is one of the systems they have access to - nor was the person I called at the HO - so I don't think I can guarantee that things will be OK, or that IRIS is part of the PEO system.

My appt isn't for another month yet, and it's just not worth wasting my time over - I might as well get into the postal system now. (I don't have any travel booked until December, so I have no actual rush).

Thanks though for sharing your experiences - it is most helpful!!!

munisa

Post by munisa » Fri May 29, 2009 12:01 pm

kiwi_in_the_uk wrote: My appt isn't for another month yet, and it's just not worth wasting my time over - I might as well get into the postal system now. (I don't have any travel booked until December, so I have no actual rush).

Thanks though for sharing your experiences - it is most helpful!!! You are welcome!

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Fri May 29, 2009 3:14 pm

No need to worry, go to the PEO appt, remember pple who have lost passports still get approved and this is without stamps or IRIS infor. The only issue is if your absences are close or over the allowed then the CW might want to 'double check'

ksab

Post by ksab » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:42 am

If you email Irisinfo@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk with your name, passport number, date of birth and request for your IRIS information they should be able to help you

IMMIGRATION LAWYER

Post by IMMIGRATION LAWYER » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:32 pm

I had a few clients with IRIS. All we did was to request formal print-outs of the travel dates.

The caseworkers at our local PEO did not have access to IRIS data base (unless it has now changed).

munisa wrote: