ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General discussion after BC and Passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vipul1981

Post by vipul1981 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:38 am

great news. looks like processing times are improving.

Now lets hope we get the actual approvals quickly.

A quick question, might sound silly
Is it possible to book the ceremony before receiving the approval?

shs213

Post by shs213 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:38 am

As this thread is run by people who are almost closer to the end of the citizenship journey, thought i'd throw in a question around life after BC...

How many of you plan to relocate/quit UK after the passport?

Personally, I have been turning down few great opportunities to relocate within the company due to the pending BC journey - as soon as I get my passport i will look to relocate for few years...

any views/comments?

rnr79
Member of Standing

Post by rnr79 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:38 am

cogunde wrote:Just called UKBA this morning to follow up on my family application (Me and wife AN, my daughter MN1) which was submitted on Friday 10 June at NCS Sutton (and received by UKBA on 13 June). Was informed that decision was made on 13 July and that we will receive this in the post shortly.

Just to encourage everyone - I initially called 12 July (last week) and was told I needed to relax as I had only applied a month prior and that it may take up to 6 months. Just felt like following up today and got this news.

Here's hoping everyone waiting receives good news very shortly!
Congrats mates....i wonder whats wrong with my application, i applied on 14th May and HO havent even started processing my application :cry:

May be my application is one of those random unfortunate one which is going through thorough checks and is in totally different queue than other applications
Last edited by rnr79 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

vipul1981

Post by vipul1981 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:40 am

rnr_79, try calling them again today

rnr79
Member of Standing

Post by rnr79 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:41 am

vipul1981 wrote:rnr_79, try calling them again today
hmm called then on 15th July, I think i will control my self and wont call at least for two more weeks

Sam_London

Post by Sam_London » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:46 am

Hey everyone,

Just called the HO, was told my application is in a queue to be allocated to a case worker. I've applied on 3rd May via NCS.

I just find it ludicrous that my application is still waiting to be viewed by a case worker for the 12th week! I've heard of immigration cases to Austalia and Canada getting approved in 12 weeks. Mind you, we are all living here for years and have already gone through Checks when we applied for ILR.

Do we know the process of the applications? I have this feeling that there is no queue or anything as such, nor initial checks, just a pile of application sitting on case workers' desks; if you're lucky, you get allocated an experienced caseworker or a case worker that have no complicated cases ahead of you. So far, I've heard different answers every time I called:

Awaiting allocation to a case worker.
Initial Checks.
Waiting in a queue.
Security Checks.

Do we know the process?

rnr79
Member of Standing

Post by rnr79 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:47 am

vipul1981 wrote:Is it possible to book the ceremony before receiving the approval?
I think you will need ref number from approval letter, to book your ceremony, but i think sometimes if councils receive letters from HO and i guess some people were able to book ceremony before they received approval letter....may be worth searching on this forum, i remember reading something here

rnr79
Member of Standing

Post by rnr79 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:58 am

Sam_London wrote:Hey everyone,

Just called the HO, was told my application is in a queue to be allocated to a case worker. I've applied on 3rd May via NCS.

I just find it ludicrous that my application is still waiting to be viewed by a case worker for the 12th week! I've heard of immigration cases to Austalia and Canada getting approved in 12 weeks. Mind you, we are all living here for years and have already gone through Checks when we applied for ILR.

Do we know the process of the applications? I have this feeling that there is no queue or anything as such, nor initial checks, just a pile of application sitting on case workers' desks; if you're lucky, you get allocated an experienced caseworker or a case worker that have no complicated cases ahead of you. So far, I've heard different answers every time I called:

Awaiting allocation to a case worker.
Initial Checks.
Waiting in a queue.
Security Checks.

Do we know the process?
I agree with Sam_London, every time you call HO get totally different answer and the answer is not in line with what has been told on the previous calls.

I have a feeling that if an application as at the bottom of the pile of application and new applications are being added on the top or piles some application take ridiculoulsy long time even to be touched to.

My case quite straight forward single application with no criminal records, proper jobs, tax paid regularly, less than 150 days absences in 5 years period, just about 30 days absences in the last year etc., still dont understand what's the delay
Last edited by rnr79 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

sonya24

Post by sonya24 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:01 am

hi i applied for bc on the 10th of may via ncs i spoke to ukba today and got the same old answer once again.i applied under hsmp jr dependant category it was a family application.

Sam_London

Post by Sam_London » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:04 am

rnr79- my case is super simple. Married to BC. No criminal record. Jobs and taxes are irrelevant to me. I remember when I applied for ILR, I did it in person and it was granted in 45 minutes, while it took my colleague, with an identical case, over 6 months because he's applied by post. You're absolutely right, answers are not in logical order.

lasam

Post by lasam » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:20 am

and also the applications are not processed in a chronological order

cogunde

Post by cogunde » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:31 am

I have learnt from all my interactions with UKBA over the years that there is no method to the madness in terms of dealing with applications - they don't operate FIFO of LIFO, although recent postings would perhaps suggest that they are operating LIFO?

Based on some of the other things I have read on this forum, I can surmise that:

(a) forms are entered/scanned into UKBA systems
(b) checks are carried out with several agencies (HMRC, police, etc)
(c) depending on speed of response by these agencies, the case is allocated to a case worker
(d) caseworker considers and makes a decision
(e) application informed of status

I think much of the delay perhaps comes from the transition between b and c. If an agency does not respond quickly to enquiries, then that would certainly have a bearing on UKBA response time. But then, being part of the civil service, I'm sure there's a huge amount of inefficiencies within the UKBA itself which contributes to much of the delay.

In an efficient system, the waiting times on these applications should be no longer than 3-4weeks maximum. Anything else is taking the mickey!

rnr79
Member of Standing

Post by rnr79 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:55 am

cogunde wrote:I have learnt from all my interactions with UKBA over the years that there is no method to the madness in terms of dealing with applications - they don't operate FIFO of LIFO, although recent postings would perhaps suggest that they are operating LIFO?

Based on some of the other things I have read on this forum, I can surmise that:

(a) forms are entered/scanned into UKBA systems
(b) checks are carried out with several agencies (HMRC, police, etc)
(c) depending on speed of response by these agencies, the case is allocated to a case worker
(d) caseworker considers and makes a decision
(e) application informed of status

I think much of the delay perhaps comes from the transition between b and c. If an agency does not respond quickly to enquiries, then that would certainly have a bearing on UKBA response time. But then, being part of the civil service, I'm sure there's a huge amount of inefficiencies within the UKBA itself which contributes to much of the delay.

In an efficient system, the waiting times on these applications should be no longer than 3-4weeks maximum. Anything else is taking the mickey!
Its true it seems as though they are using LIFO. This is so annoying, we dont expect FIFO but at least they should follow the approach as First in start first processing.

Some people say Naturalisation is a previliage and not a right, but When i pay almost £1000 as a fee i would expecet decent customer service and some structured method for dealing with an application.

Slightly

Post by Slightly » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:43 am

rnr79 wrote: Some people say Naturalisation is a previliage and not a right, but When i pay almost £1000 as a fee i would expecet decent customer service and some structured method for dealing with an application.
The UKBA say that.
And yes, completely agreed.

I'm afraid I'm going to be a whinging member from now until I receive an approval (hopefully), so apologies in advance!
I'm so tired of waiting!

cogunde

Post by cogunde » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:45 am

I understand it can be quite frustrating, rnr79, but just hang in there. I'm sure your good news is on the way. In a couple of months, you'll look back on this episode and laugh, am sure.

fabio11

Post by fabio11 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:50 am

HI Guys I applied on 6th April and still waiting for caseworker to be allocated. Its getting frustrated as each time I call I get the same answer.
I had planned for long holidays as I have two months holidays. But I already have spetnt one month inside the house as I cant travel and its difficult to apply for renewal of my original country passport.

rnr79
Member of Standing

Post by rnr79 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:50 am

cogunde wrote:I understand it can be quite frustrating, rnr79, but just hang in there. I'm sure your good news is on the way. In a couple of months, you'll look back on this episode and laugh, am sure.
I am sure i am going to laugh at this after few months, but the only problem i have at the moment is that I am so paranoid of me doing some mistake while driving. As on the London roads there are so many restrictions, rules, speed limits and i drive quite a lot on London roads, and it so easy to do some simple mistake but that can be very serious in view of DVLA or UKBA.

I know i am sensible driver and havent done anything wrong in the last six years but this torture is driving me crazy.

I think i will stop whinging here now :wink:, and get on with my routine work. Also it gives some encourgement that i am not the only one and there are many applicants with the same situation as mine.

rightmove

reference check

Post by rightmove » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:25 am

Hi Can somebdoy tell me if the references are called what exactly they ask for. I have provided a reference who knows me for long time but perhaps doesnt know much... do i need to prep him?

Member of Standing

Re: reference check

Post by 1664 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:37 am

rightmove wrote:Hi Can somebdoy tell me if the references are called what exactly they ask for. I have provided a reference who knows me for long time but perhaps doesnt know much... do i need to prep him?

One of my references was an Old University Professor...who knew me but not well enough to answer which is my fav football team! So I guess as long as they can identify you it should be OK.

cogunde

Post by cogunde » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:40 am

My understanding is that they are asked whether they know you, how they know you (friend, colleague, etc) and how long for to see if it meets the criteria stated in the form. From my experience, they don't always call the references (for instance, I spoke to the referees for our application over the weekend and neither was called by the home office, even though a decision was taken last week).

I think they will only call the referee if the case worker feels the supplied info is not sufficient to take an informed decision.

rnr79
Member of Standing

Post by rnr79 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:58 am

rightmove wrote:Hi Can somebdoy tell me if the references are called what exactly they ask for. I have provided a reference who knows me for long time but perhaps doesnt know much... do i need to prep him?
I know many friends of mine have received their approvals and none of their referees were contacted but i think just to be on the safer side it is always good to update the referee with some basic info :)

rightmove

reference check

Post by rightmove » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:34 pm

thanks for responses guys... i guess the best bet is to tell some basic infos like where i work, what i do etc :-)

Member of Standing

Post by 1664 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Referees - agreed! they should know atleast what you do,where you live and work, etc etc..

-- coming back to decision times

I could be wrong - but could the decision times depend upon the Visa Catrgory you were on prior to your BC application?

rnr79
Member of Standing

Post by rnr79 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:40 pm

1664 wrote:I could be wrong - but could the decision times depend upon the Visa Catrgory you were on prior to your BC application?
May be who knows...but my category is Tier 1 or HSMP, so at least i would think that there shouldnt be a major issue for this category but then who am i to make any guess, only HO knows what depends on what

cogunde

Post by cogunde » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:54 pm

1664, my category was Work Permit (5 years) before ILR, never got on to Tier 1 or 2. Not sure that would have made any difference though, cos they would have had to examine the application to determine the category anyway?