ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

look for a job first or get an apartment in London?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

shiloberg
Newly Registered

look for a job first or get an apartment in London?

Post by shiloberg » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:08 am

Hi,
Im very interested in moving to London with my husband. He is a EU citizen, so I would need a special visa to move. Here is my question: Should we first find an apartment and then I start looking for work. Or should I look for work in my home country and then look for an apartment once I find a job. I have a steady freelance job and savings so that could take care of apartment rent for a few months.
If I get a job first, how hard will it be to find an apartment?

Thanks!

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Well, if you have savings to pay for rent and living for a few months then there's nothing better than being here in person to attend interviews. Your chances are restricted if recruitment agents and companies know you are not available locally and unless you have a unique skill they will defer your application in favour of someone local to meet.

If you get a job and have all other things taken care of with just packing and moving to London to worry about, then you dont need more than a few weeks to get a place sorted out. You can easily get rooms to start with and then use your time to pick a nice place to rent.

Best option is to come to the UK, rent a room which is a lot cheaper, even rent 2 rooms until you get a job - room rents usually include ALL bills and you just make a single payment whereas expenses in renting a flat is much more plus has the usual 6 or 12 month contract which wont work for you.

All the best
KP

shiloberg
Newly Registered

Post by shiloberg » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:10 pm

Where can I rent a room? Are you talking about in a hostel?

Thanks,
this forum is so great

karpu

Post by karpu » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:55 pm

You can find good accommodation @
http://www.spareroom.co.uk/

Check this website and contact them if you like any place.

Hotel is going to be expensive