ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

passport format

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

TechNation
Newly Registered

passport format

Post by TechNation » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:14 pm

I received the passports for me and my family.
Strangely, the children's passport appear to be different from the adults'.

For adults, we have applied for jumbo, and they appear to have been issued in old format, with chip in one of the pages.

For children, the passports are in the new format, with chip embedded in the cover (I think so, I need to verify this by taking to a regional office), and additional photo appearing opposite to the personal page.

Any one got their passports like these?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:52 am

No, I haven't but it could just be a question of what stock is available. I don't think it's a problem.

TechNation
Newly Registered

Post by TechNation » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:49 am

Christophe wrote:No, I haven't but it could just be a question of what stock is available. I don't think it's a problem.
Thanks Christophe.

Any idea why they are still issuing old format passport?

Anyone recently received old format passport (ie., chip in one of the page)?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:27 pm

TechNation wrote: Any idea why they are still issuing old format passport?
Probably as they still have them in stock. It was the same case with the standard passports. Although officially they were out in October 2010, people applying for a passport in November still got the old format.
Nothing to worry about. Just some inventory management by IPS.

Nazia88

Post by Nazia88 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:00 pm

how it can be possible ???
NAZIA XX

lionking007

Post by lionking007 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:39 pm

Nazia88 wrote:how it can be possible ???
I have just applied last week. I am looking forward to receiving a new style?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:40 pm

TechNation wrote:
Christophe wrote:No, I haven't but it could just be a question of what stock is available. I don't think it's a problem.
Thanks Christophe.

Any idea why they are still issuing old format passport?

Anyone recently received old format passport (ie., chip in one of the page)?
I should imagine that they are simply using up old stock.

The same thing happened when British passports ceased being blue, hard-covered booklets and started being issued in the common EU format: the first new-style British passport was issued in 1988, but for some time some passport-issuing centres continued to issue the old-style passports to use up the existing stock that they had. As I recall, this situation lasted for a couple of years.

Similarly, when the chip passports were introduced, some centres continued to issue the old passports, although the transition lasted for a shorter time then because non-chip passports issued after a certain date were not valid for travel to certain countries or required the holder to apply for a visa.

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:37 am

Please check http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=76763

I enquired in person and they are still issuing the old model at IPS "London Victoria".
I thought it was strange too as I had the new model (postal application) and people receiving the passports there were getting the old model.

They advised me that only 1 centre is currently issuing the new model. And the transition is gradual.

The new model is more beautiful. The only disadvantage is that the page with the person's data is too soft. I prefer the hard cover from the last one.
But in general I like the new model more!

Markie

Post by Markie » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:40 am

We just received our new passports last week from the Crawley office and they are all the new design.

If you take a look at their document when the new design was being rolled out, it was mentioned there that the old pasport format can still be issued and forms part of the transition period to the new design.
I have copied the statement below.

"Some customers will get the current passport during this time of transition and any existing passports will remain valid until their date of expiry. It is usual for valid passports with different designs to be in circulation at any one time."
SunBlue wrote:Please check http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=76763

I enquired in person and they are still issuing the old model at IPS "London Victoria".
I thought it was strange too as I had the new model (postal application) and people receiving the passports there were getting the old model.

They advised me that only 1 centre is currently issuing the new model. And the transition is gradual.

The new model is more beautiful. The only disadvantage is that the page with the person's data is too soft. I prefer the hard cover from the last one.

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:33 pm

Markie,
May I ask if you applied in person in Crawley?
That's interesting. Glad that they are issuing the new model there.

Markie

Post by Markie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:31 am

Arranged the interview in Crawley through the Hotline number...0300-xxx.
The person I've spoken to initially offered the Victoria office but the earliest was on the 25th so I opted for Crawley and luckily the earliest was the 19th morning.

I immediately booked 2 slots (for my wife and myself) went on the 19th and took us only about 10mins to finish the interview. Questions are similar in the stickies section.

Crawley office has 3 interview rooms (1 open sandwiched between 2 closed door ones) and just opposite the Crawley train station and close to a mall.

SunBlue wrote:Markie,
May I ask if you applied in person in Crawley?
That's interesting. Glad that they are issuing the new model there.

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:21 am

Markie,
I see! But the passport is not printed there I suppose.
It doesn't matter where you have the interview.

I think that all postal applications for new passports are directed to a printing department, which is the only one with the new model.
Someone else did a postal application and got the old model because they were the jumbo ones - probably they haven't update the jumbo ones to the new model yet.

Markie

Post by Markie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:52 am

SunBlue,

No, the passports are not printed there in Crawley Interview office. We've spoken to a guy in the passport advisory line and YES there is more than 1 printing company and anyone of them can churn out the final version of passport with your details.

They send them in batches (by cut off time if I remember right).

My passport as well as the kids went to printer A and my wife went to another one but they can trace it based on the reference numbers up to the courier compant that will bring your passport/s.

tom1
Newly Registered

Post by tom1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:19 pm

HII AM JUST APPLYING FOR BRITSH PASSPORT AFTER BC CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT SHOULD I WRITE ON 1ST QUESTION WHAT TYPE OF PASSPORT ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?
YOUR FIRST PASSPORT ADULT OR CHANGES TO YOUR EXSISTING PASSPORT I OPTION IS CHANGE NATIONALSTATUS I AM STUCK PLEASE HELP ME REGARDING THIS ASAP

forwardever

Post by forwardever » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:16 pm

SunBlue wrote:Please check http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=76763

SO DID U GET TO CHANGE UR PASSPORTPORT AND ALSO WAS IT THE OLD STYLE ONE U GOT THAT WAS FAULTY OR THE NEW STYLE ONE???

Nazia88

Post by Nazia88 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:26 pm

tom1 wrote:HII AM JUST APPLYING FOR BRITSH PASSPORT AFTER BC CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT SHOULD I WRITE ON 1ST QUESTION WHAT TYPE OF PASSPORT ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?
YOUR FIRST PASSPORT ADULT OR CHANGES TO YOUR EXSISTING PASSPORT I OPTION IS CHANGE NATIONALSTATUS I AM STUCK PLEASE HELP ME REGARDING THIS ASAP
first adult passport .
NAZIA XX

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi,
So, myself and my partner, both passports were faulty. We tested in the machine, and also the staff from there went internally and checked and also told it was not working - both passports!
Then they said they would replace it immediately. And it would be issued the old model, as that location only offers the old model.

As we didn't have new pictures, we said we would go back in next week. So it passed 3 weeks and we went there to make it.
For our surprise, both passports could be scanned! So it started working!! And therefore we didn't need to replace it.

It's really strange. If it would be only me who handled it, then I could say I handled it wrongly. But 2 other staff tried to scan in different machines too, and it didn't work. And both passports!

But then we tested again and both worked in the very same machine!

I noted that it takes about 6 to 10 seconds to scan. Does it take so long at the airports too?

forwardever

Post by forwardever » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:32 pm

SunBlue wrote:Hi,
So, myself and my partner, both passports were faulty. We tested in the machine, and also the staff from there went internally and checked and also told it was not working - both passports!
Then they said they would replace it immediately. And it would be issued the old model, as that location only offers the old model.

As we didn't have new pictures, we said we would go back in next week. So it passed 3 weeks and we went there to make it.
For our surprise, both passports could be scanned! So it started working!! And therefore we didn't need to replace it.

It's really strange. If it would be only me who handled it, then I could say I handled it wrongly. But 2 other staff tried to scan in different machines too, and it didn't work. And both passports!

But then we tested again and both worked in the very same machine!

I noted that it takes about 6 to 10 seconds to scan. Does it take so long at the airports too?

WHAT PASSPORT HAVE U GOT THE OLD STYLE OR NEW STYLE ONE????

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:36 pm

I have got the new one, with the british weather and picture of the british landscapes. - new version.
The old one being issued at london victoria is the "bird passport" - old one.

forwardever

Post by forwardever » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:44 pm

So its likely that ppl applying for new passport thru C&S OR POSTAL will get the new style one??

Nazia88

Post by Nazia88 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:46 pm

forwardever wrote:So its likely that ppl applying for new passport thru C&S OR POSTAL will get the new style one??
dont worry my bro you will get new version very soon.
NAZIA XX

forwardever

Post by forwardever » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Nazia88 wrote:
forwardever wrote:So its likely that ppl applying for new passport thru C&S OR POSTAL will get the new style one??

lol jus cant wait...

Nazia88

Post by Nazia88 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:56 pm

forwardever wrote:
Nazia88 wrote:

lol jus cant wait...
you just have to coz the difficult time is over for you look at for those who still waiting for the decision its very hard to wait and pain full aswel but lets hope for the best but for sure you willl get ur new version passport very soon. goodluck
NAZIA XX

forwardever

Post by forwardever » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Nazia88 wrote:
forwardever wrote:
Nazia88 wrote:

lol jus cant wait...
you just have to coz the difficult time is over for you look at for those who still waiting for the decision its very hard to wait and pain full aswel but lets hope for the best but for sure you willl get ur new version passport very soon. goodluck

i understand mate the hardest part is over and i knw this is 100% sure that i will be gettin my passport soon is jus that i cant wait to have it in my hand and i totally agree that the waitin feelings cant be compared to that of those still waitin for there decision cos i knw what it really feels like to wait...wish everyone in the waiting club SUCESS in the application i knw its pretty pretty hard to wait cos no one knws what the decision wuld be but mate as long as record is clean no matter how long its takes its gonna come back APPROVED....so my bro always think positive u will be out of the waitin club sooner...cheers

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:14 pm

Yes, it seems that people applying by post or C&S will receive the new passport (provided you don't choose the extra thick passport).