ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Best way to get over?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2

SIUltimate
Newly Registered

Best way to get over?

Post by SIUltimate » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:43 pm

I recently graduated from Drexel University in Philadelphia with a BS in Music Industry with a concentration in Business. I've been in a serious long-distance relationship with my boyfriend at University of Cambridge for three years. Now that I'm graduated, I'd like to move in with him at Cambridge as he finishes his final year of University. I have access to some money, however I'd need a visa to stay over there longer than six months, and I don't really have the amount of funds I'd need to stay a full year without working anyway. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the best way to make everything work. I've come across a few possibilities, but none of them seem particularly realistic or reasonable. I'm curious as to what others think, or if there's any possibility I've missed.

We've discussed getting married, however we're not really at that stage in our relationship and neither of us are very comfortable getting married simply for the immigration benefits.

I could go over without any visa and support myself for several months in the hopes of finding a job that would sponsor me for a visa during that time. I'm reluctant, as it seems, especially at this period in history, it's nearly impossible to find an employer willing to sponsor someone for a visa short of a very high level executive position, which I'm not qualified for anyway. Has anyone had any experience on trying to get hired in the UK without already having a visa? Is it as difficult as I assume it is?

The other option I've thought of is getting a masters degree in the UK. I could take out a loan to cover the cost of tuition and some of my living expenses, and you are able to work 20 hours on a tier 4 visa, which could cover the rest of my living expenses. I've been accepted at Anglia Ruskin University to study for an MA in International Business. The cons: I really don't feel as though I need this degree; I don't see it greatly increasing my salary in the long run or increasing my desirability in terms of my future job search. Not to mention I'd leave school with around $20,000 in debt.

My final option is of course to stay in the US, wait for him to graduate, and go from there. However if he gets a good job in the UK upon graduation, he'll most likely stay there, and we'll be in virtually the same position we're in now, only a year later.

What do you all think is my best option? Is there an option I haven't considered?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:02 pm

[Edited to add correct link]

There isn't a "let's shack up" visa, so you will need to find something else.

You haven't mentioned Tier 5 (Temporary workers).

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... exchanged/

For example, BUNAC enables you to work for 6 months.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... etails.pdf

You could try something like that and take things from there.

You would be expected to leave the UK afterwards. You could return on something else later.
Last edited by PaperPusher on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SIUltimate
Newly Registered

Post by SIUltimate » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:25 pm

I'd never heard of BUNAC, but at first glance it looks more or less like exactly what I need. I'll look into it further. Thanks so much!!