ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extension for FLR following 4->5 year change

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Extension for FLR following 4->5 year change

Post by RobinLondon » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:48 pm

After reading ismangil's recent post on another thread, I was surprised to read that instead of just giving him a one-year extension, they gave him three!

For those of you who have made the application for a one-year bump, has this been your experience as well? I thought the HO was just planning on one-year extensions prior to a migrant's filing for ILR.

I'm not sure whether to applaud their generosity or to fear something else coming down the pipe...

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:54 pm

I have not read the post you mention but the Home Office will grant FLR in line with the relevant IED e.g. if you have a 4 year WP and get a fresh 4 year WP then you get a 4 year WP based FLR not 1 year WP based FLR.

PASS

Post by PASS » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:17 am

In these circumbstances (1+ [3+3] yrs extension),

Can we apply for ILR at the end of 5 yrs or Do we have to wait until 7 yrs ?

Summary: Will HO take-up ILR application before expiry of current leave to remain?
Last edited by PASS on Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:09 am

That's precisely my point. How many years of extension are granted by the HO (one year or three?) and when can one apply for ILR? At the end of that new leave or when one hits the five-year mark?

As to Kayalami's point, as someone on an ancestry visa, I don't require a work permit, so the HO cannot be guided by that criteria. In this case, it seems like the HO doesn't have a common standard for extensions.

(Moderators, I know that this topic is related to the current mega-thread on the four to five year change ( http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=7201 ), however this is a more technical aspect of the issue. I think that the other thread is more politically-orientated. I leave it to you if you feel it is justified to merge the two. Thanks.)