ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

cannot reveal my previous surname in naturalisation app

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

summersky
Newly Registered

cannot reveal my previous surname in naturalisation app

Post by summersky » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Hi. I am going to apply for Naturalisation on 10th August with my husband and child. In the form, it is asking for any other surname that I have been known in the UK. When I came to the UK, I was married and I was on dependant visa. Then I got divorced and applied to HSMP visa and entered into UK again with a new entry clearance & HSMP visa. Then I got married with my current husband but he doens't know that this is my second marriage. Therefore, I cannot reveal my previous surname in the application form. If I don't give this, do you think that it would be picked up and could cause my application to be rejected? I don't have a criminal record or convictions but as mentioned, I cannot give my previous surname as my husband doesn't know my full story... Please help. :oops:

Member of Standing

Re: cannot reveal my previous surname in naturalisation app

Post by 1664 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:58 pm

summersky wrote:Hi. I am going to apply for Naturalisation on 10th August with my husband and child. In the form, it is asking for any other surname that I have been known in the UK. When I came to the UK, I was married and I was on dependant visa. Then I got divorced and applied to HSMP visa and entered into UK again with a new entry clearance & HSMP visa. Then I got married with my current husband but he doens't know that this is my second marriage. Therefore, I cannot reveal my previous surname in the application form. If I don't give this, do you think that it would be picked up and could cause my application to be rejected? I don't have a criminal record or convictions but as mentioned, I cannot give my previous surname as my husband doesn't know my full story... Please help. :oops:
wow - very ticky!
Call the HO and speak to them personally for an advice.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Therefore, I cannot reveal my previous surname in the application form. If I don't give this, do you think that it would be picked up and could cause my application to be rejected?
It will be definitely picked up as a part of ID check, if not now then when you apply for passport. Name declaration including previous ones is part of ID check.

Best approach is being honest, you need to bring your husband upto date!

summersky
Newly Registered

Post by summersky » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:39 am

My surnames are not associated in my credit file. I made a new start with my new visa and new surname. So, I don't think that it would be picked up in Passport ID checks. What they check is your bank account numbers, credit card numbers, mortgage company, your electrol register etc.

With regards to Naturalisation ID checks, do you think they would access my previous visa records in Home Office? Again, I put my first UK entry date as the date of my 2nd entry clearance because I qualified ILR based on it.

Does this make things more complex?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:41 am

summersky wrote:My surnames are not associated in my credit file. I made a new start with my new visa and new surname. So, I don't think that it would be picked up in Passport ID checks. What they check is your bank account numbers, credit card numbers, mortgage company, your electrol register etc.

With regards to Naturalisation ID checks, do you think they would access my previous visa records in Home Office? Again, I put my first UK entry date as the date of my 2nd entry clearance because I qualified ILR based on it.

Does this make things more complex?
Do not lie, I repeat, do not lie.

Think about it, what country would want to grant citizenship to someone who tells lies on their application?

Member of Standing

Post by 1664 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:59 am

even if you use different names - you still would have the same passport for the 2 entry clearances. How are you going to justify that?

summersky
Newly Registered

Post by summersky » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:39 pm

1664 wrote:even if you use different names - you still would have the same passport for the 2 entry clearances. How are you going to justify that?
my current passport is in my current surname and all my new visa stamps, ILR etc are on this one too. if they do ID checks and get in touch with Home Office regarding previous visas etc, why do you think they ask for a passport showing that you had been in the UK for the last five years. This could easily be picked up from ILR approval record in Home Office.

republique
BANNED

Re: cannot reveal my previous surname in naturalisation app

Post by republique » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:08 pm

summersky wrote:Hi. I am going to apply for Naturalisation on 10th August with my husband and child. In the form, it is asking for any other surname that I have been known in the UK. When I came to the UK, I was married and I was on dependant visa. Then I got divorced and applied to HSMP visa and entered into UK again with a new entry clearance & HSMP visa. Then I got married with my current husband but he doens't know that this is my second marriage. Therefore, I cannot reveal my previous surname in the application form. If I don't give this, do you think that it would be picked up and could cause my application to be rejected? I don't have a criminal record or convictions but as mentioned, I cannot give my previous surname as my husband doesn't know my full story... Please help. :oops:
Is your husband really going to look at your application that finely. frankly just say that you changed your name, why do you have to explain to him anyway?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:37 pm

DO NOT LIE, I REPEAT, DO NOT LIE.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... orm_an.pdf

The form also asks for details of previous marriages, so I presume you intend to lie there too.

I think that you should read the declaration page, particularly the bit where it says that you can be prosecuted for providing false information, you could go to prison.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Absolutely, honesty is crucial for Citizenship application.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:47 pm

Unfortunately the advice may be too late. I'm guessing that a false declaration would have been given in the most recent entry visa application which would have asked for details of any previous visa held or applied for.
Also, how the OP managed to marry for the second time without declaring a previous marriage/divorce. :?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:03 pm

Perhaps, but no need to add another possible criminal offence.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:10 pm

I agree. Good point.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:20 pm

I think the original poster may want to speak to a solicitor about the consequences of filling out correct information in the AN form if lies have been told in the past.

summersky
Newly Registered

Post by summersky » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:17 pm

I was married in my home country and also divorced there. I also got my 2nd marriage in my home country. I did not have any marriage/divorce application in the UK.

I don't want to lie but I don't want to be unneccessarily honest either. I am considering not to apply at all.
Casa wrote:Unfortunately the advice may be too late. I'm guessing that a false declaration would have been given in the most recent entry visa application which would have asked for details of any previous visa held or applied for.
Also, how the OP managed to marry for the second time without declaring a previous marriage/divorce. :?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:26 pm

You must be honest about any previous names that you have been known by, and previous marriages. This is necessary. They are simple questions.

ILR_Applicant_UK

Post by ILR_Applicant_UK » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:19 pm

Are your husband and child applying as your dependents?...

If not, make an excuse and apply separately??

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:55 pm

ILR_Applicant_UK wrote:Are your husband and child applying as your dependents?...

If not, make an excuse and apply separately??
But when her husband will fill in the form, he will not disclose all the information for this question:
Form AN wrote: 1.31 Full name of partner
If your partner is or has ever been known by
any name or names apart from those
mentioned above, please give details here

summersky
Newly Registered

came back from ncs appointment

Post by summersky » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:59 pm

i took the difficult route and updated my husband on my full story. went to the ncs appointmnet today. provided two passports, two entry clearance visas. guess what.... NCS officer put the"first UK arrival date" as the date that i entered the UK with my own HSMP visa. So, my first enterance with the dependant visa was not taken into account. And then, i had left some questions blank like previous husband's birthday, reason of ending marriage etc, it wasn't a problem. Finally, when it came to passport photocopies, she did not take my old passport with old marriage surname at all. She said, it's not covering any time in the past 5 years, therefore not relevant.

So, all the efforts i made to be honest and all the stress i had in the past month and the damage i made to my current marriage due to this hidden fact was completely unneccessary. All they are interested is just last 5 years. now, my recommendation to everyone is "don't be too honest, if it's not neccessary" and my case just proved that it wasn't neccessary at all....

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Re: came back from ncs appointment

Post by PaperPusher » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:40 am

Yes it was necessary. Getting British citizenship through fraud is taken incredibly seriously.

Honesty is always the best policy. The NCS do not make the decision on your application in any case - they are just counter clerks. They are not UKBA caseworkers or employees either.

summersky wrote:i took the difficult route and updated my husband on my full story. went to the ncs appointmnet today. provided two passports, two entry clearance visas. guess what.... NCS officer put the"first UK arrival date" as the date that i entered the UK with my own HSMP visa. So, my first enterance with the dependant visa was not taken into account. And then, i had left some questions blank like previous husband's birthday, reason of ending marriage etc, it wasn't a problem. Finally, when it came to passport photocopies, she did not take my old passport with old marriage surname at all. She said, it's not covering any time in the past 5 years, therefore not relevant.

So, all the efforts i made to be honest and all the stress i had in the past month and the damage i made to my current marriage due to this hidden fact was completely unneccessary. All they are interested is just last 5 years. now, my recommendation to everyone is "don't be too honest, if it's not neccessary" and my case just proved that it wasn't neccessary at all....

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:17 pm

Yes it was necessary. Getting British citizenship through fraud is taken incredibly seriously.

Honesty is always the best policy. The NCS do not make the decision on your application in any case - they are just counter clerks. They are not UKBA caseworkers or employees either.
Absolutely agree. You will also be asked later in your passport application about any changes to your surname.

You have done the right thing, so be proud of that.

rnr79
Member of Standing

Re: came back from ncs appointment

Post by rnr79 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:50 pm

summersky wrote:i took the difficult route and updated my husband on my full story. went to the ncs appointmnet today. provided two passports, two entry clearance visas. guess what.... NCS officer put the"first UK arrival date" as the date that i entered the UK with my own HSMP visa. So, my first enterance with the dependant visa was not taken into account. And then, i had left some questions blank like previous husband's birthday, reason of ending marriage etc, it wasn't a problem. Finally, when it came to passport photocopies, she did not take my old passport with old marriage surname at all. She said, it's not covering any time in the past 5 years, therefore not relevant.

I think you did the right thing...and i dont think its damage to your current marriage...but now you can be proud to be a honest person...and keep your head high...

winber

Post by winber » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:11 pm

I submitted an application at the NCS recently, and at no time did I spot the Officer look at anything past page 1 of the application. In fact, they only used page 1 to copy one detail onto another form - my name I think.

I had misconceptions about NCS - For some reason I thought they'd look at my application for completeness and point out any mistakes, like missing details, mistakes, inconsistencies or whatever. But they only photocopied my passport and and looked at my life in the UK certificate, and made me do a Stat Dec. They refused to look at the 5 years worth of P60s that I had been specifically asked to bring in when I made the appointment.

So I wouldn't read anything into the fact that the NCS wasn't bothered about various details, it means nothing.

Good luck with your application!

CheerfulBelle
Newly Registered

Post by CheerfulBelle » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:34 pm

This is not the place to discuss your lying to your husband; another forum and another thread.. but never lie to the Home Office. It is not worth it, and will only cause you problems.

I will repeat what others have said. Honesty is the best policy, not exclusively to immigration matters, but in all areas of life :wink:

summersky
Newly Registered

Finally I am a British Citizen now

Post by summersky » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Just wanted to share the good news. I became British citizen back in October and received my passport in November 2011.