ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 appl cancellation or OCI

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

gentlejuke

MN1 appl cancellation or OCI

Post by gentlejuke » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:35 pm

We Indian-parents are on ILR, applied BC for our 2months old baby (no nationality/passport at the moment) through MN1 under section 1(3)

just now i read, minor child is not applicable for OCI if both parents are Indian nationals. Its a surprise and I am most worried now.

1. can any one guide how to get OCI for my kid? It is must for us as we plan to stay there for few years.
2. If above is not possible, how to cancel BC, Fee not deducted, applicaiton is inprogress..so just thinking to give a call to Home office to stop my kid MN1 application

Pls help

skr27

Re: very very urgent - MN1 appl cancellation or OCI

Post by skr27 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:53 am

If you both are on ILR before the baby was born then the baby has the automatic right to British Citizenship I think. I don't think in that case you need to register.

Quick search on internet I found this
Minor children holding foreign passport where both the parents are Indian passport holders are not eligible for OCI Scheme. from this website
http://www.hcindiatz.org/oci.pdf

However if you apply for OCI for your baby after you get your british citizenship then it should be OK with that rule I think. However I don't know if you are in a position to apply for BC yourself or not. Hope someone with better insight might respond better than me.

gentlejuke wrote:We Indian-parents are on ILR, applied BC for our 2months old baby (no nationality/passport at the moment) through MN1 under section 1(3)

just now i read, minor child is not applicable for OCI if both parents are Indian nationals. Its a surprise and I am most worried now.

1. can any one guide how to get OCI for my kid? It is must for us as we plan to stay there for few years.
2. If above is not possible, how to cancel BC, Fee not deducted, applicaiton is inprogress..so just thinking to give a call to Home office to stop my kid MN1 application

Pls help

lionking007

Post by lionking007 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:22 am

Your baby is eligible for british citizenship.

Just fill the passport application form for the baby, include one of the parents original passport that has ILR stamped and a full birth certificate of the baby. passport should arrive within 2 weeks max.

Once the UK passport arrives, apply for an OCI for the baby. However, please be aware, for an OCI to come it takes about 6 months. so if you have anurgent travel or are planning to travel to India, baby will need a visa for India.

No need to fill in the MN1.

Well thats what I did for my baby.

Pls see the guidelines on OCI on the website below. Its the website of Consulate General of India in Birmingham

http://www.cgibirmingham.org/index.php? ... ages&id=10
gentlejuke wrote:We Indian-parents are on ILR, applied BC for our 2months old baby (no nationality/passport at the moment) through MN1 under section 1(3)

Pls help

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:38 am

My wife and I were also on ILR when we had a baby. We applied for British passport for him and have applied for a PIO card for him. Its almost the same as OCI, except its valid for 15 years. Cost is £112 so worth it only if you're planning to travel to India quite a few times otherwise stick to applying for a visa. You can then all apply for OCI when you and your wife have a British passport.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:28 am

lionking007 wrote:Your baby is eligible for british citizenship.
No need to fill in the MN1.
From the OP other posts it seems that he was granted ILR last month so baby was 1 month old at the time and hence requires Registration to become British citizen.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 pm

There is no need for child to have OCI status to visit India. You can simply apply for visa and travel.

Where did you get the idea that OCI can't be granted if both parents are Indian Citizen?

Actually its very straightforward to get OCI if both parents are Indian Citizens.

skr27

Post by skr27 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:54 pm

look at this pdf file on this website

http://www.hcindiatz.org/oci.pdf
Minor children holding foreign passport where both the parents are Indian passport holders are not eligible for OCI Scheme.

yes they can have visa to visit each time or may be a PIO card if that is possible.

mrlookforward wrote:There is no need for child to have OCI status to visit India. You can simply apply for visa and travel.

Where did you get the idea that OCI can't be granted if both parents are Indian Citizen?

Actually its very straightforward to get OCI if both parents are Indian Citizens.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:30 pm

Wrong.
skr27 has posted the right info.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:03 pm

mrlookforward wrote:Where did you get the idea that OCI can't be granted if both parents are Indian Citizen?
Perhaps from the Indian Citizenship Act!!
Eligibility - See section 7A of the Indian Citizenship Act.

One parent must have acquired foreign citizenship for the child(ren) to be eligible for OCI.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!