ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marrying in Malaysia & returning to UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Gnome
Newly Registered

Marrying in Malaysia & returning to UK

Post by Gnome » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Hope i'm posting this in the right place. I think I am so here goes.

I am a UK citizen currently residing in the UK and my fiance is a Malaysian citizen currently residing in Malaysia. We plan to marry in Malaysia next year and then return together, along with her 11 year old child, to live permanently in the UK.

Are we right in thinking that she must apply for entry clearance for herself and her child before travelling, but also that the spouse visa must be applied for in Malaysia before we return to the UK? Can the entry clearance be applied for in advance, and how far in advance before we marry? We only have a short timescale to get it all done while I am out there. Two to three weeks at most.

Basically any information with regards to the whole process would be most helpful. We have looked online, emailed and made phonecalls, but still feel that we are going around in circles and getting nowhere

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:14 pm

Marriage certificate is required for a spouse visa application.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:14 pm

Applications to settle for both will have to made in Malaysia. You can apply only when you are ready to present your evidence which, given this will include a marriage certificate, would be when that document is available to you. Have you read any of the information available on the UKBA site relating to marriage and settlement and child settlement? Otherwise, asking for any information regarding the whole process is, indeed, a tall order on a general immigration forum and would take some considerable time. I suggest you run some searches of the forum and then, having read those comments, ask any questions that you need to complete the gaps in your knowledge.

Adelle
Newly Registered

Post by Adelle » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:15 pm

You can't apply in advance. The only thing you could maybe do is start to fill in the online application up to 7 days before but don't submit it on the last page.
Also, make sure your wife satisfies the NEW english requirements. This has been the longest wait for my husband as Cambride take about 3 months to issue their certificates.

Adelle
Newly Registered

Post by Adelle » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:18 pm

I forgot to mention, double check any information you get from the 0870 helpline as I was given misinformation on several occasions, one of which meant my husband was refused a visit visa. And keep logs of all your calls to them.

pyke

Post by pyke » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:05 am

Adelle wrote:And keep logs of all your calls to them.
Out of curiosity, how will the logs help in case of a dispute due to contradictory information? I've received lots of contradictory information too!