ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CCJ - Naturalisation refusal?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lesta
Newly Registered

CCJ - Naturalisation refusal?

Post by lesta » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:30 pm

I am about to fill my application form and stuck on whether to declare a CCJ that appeared on my Credit report through experian which I got to find out few months ago. That was a CCJ issued in 2006 by one of the colleges I was enrolled onto and didnt pay the full amount of tution fee as I left the college and went to another. I changed address so never really followed up with letters and found out in 2011 that there is an unsettled CCJ on my credit file. I have not bothered getting in touch with either court or college as after 6 years it gets written off from your file. I am confused whether to declare that CCJ on my naturalisation form or risk it without declaring? Questions if someone can answer are : Does Home office liase with Credit refrence agencies like Experian to obtain credit history? Has anyone been refused naturalisation with similar situation like me? I would really appreciate your help![/b]

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:21 pm

Normally they do credit check.
It's not an excuse telling that you moved and never received the letters - you wouldn't think that the debt would disappear, right?

x-ray

Post by x-ray » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:24 am

If you know you have CCJ this should be disclosed on the form. You should not be confused about this it is clearly requested on the form. By not disclosing the CCJ you make the issue even worse.

lesta
Newly Registered

Hi

Post by lesta » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:56 pm

I dont mind disclosing CCJ on my form as I have got IVA set up for my debts anyway. I can mention IVA on the form... can't I? I am paying 100 pounds per month towards my debts which is an IVA that I have got with private company. But my main question is that is it a good enough reason for Home Office to refuse my Naturalisation? I have been in this country for 11 years and married for 4 years. It will take another 3 years for debts to be cleared off. What are the chances of not passing the eligibilty of BRITISH NATURALISATION for someone with a bad credit like mine?

x-ray

Post by x-ray » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:07 am

All i am trying to get across is to be tranparent when dealing with the Home Office. It is good that you have IVA setup, that will help.

Have a good read of the document Annex D: The good character requirement section 7.7, 9, and 11 for more information.

Police enquiries, or other information, may suggest that an applicant is heavily in debt. Caseworkers should not use this as grounds for refusal if loan repayments have been made as agreed or if acceptable efforts are being made to pay off accumulated debts. But where an applicant deliberately and recklessly builds up debts and there is no evidence of a serious intention to pay them off, caseworkers should normally refuse the application.