ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC for spouse with ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dinkolfy
Newly Registered

BC for spouse with ILR

Post by dinkolfy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:19 am

Hello all,

I have read other posts with similar queries but would be grateful for any advice specific to my situation.

I came to the UK in May 2006 on a 5yrs WP and was granted ILR in May 2011.My wife came to the UK in May 2008 and has been granted ILR with me.We have a kid born in April 2009 in India who is also on ILR since May 2011.

1)I assume that I can apply for naturalisation in May 2012 based on the 1yr after ILR following which my son & wife could apply for naturalisation (as son/spouse of a BC). Or would my wife have to wait till May 2013 ?(she would have completed 5yrs in UK by then)

2)What is the earliest mm/yy & the most economical way (fee wise) for the three of us to get naturalised? I do not want to leave it too late in case the rules change.

Thanks in anticipation.

shs213

Re: BC for spouse with ILR

Post by shs213 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:54 am

dinkolfy wrote:Hello all,

I have read other posts with similar queries but would be grateful for any advice specific to my situation.

I came to the UK in May 2006 on a 5yrs WP and was granted ILR in May 2011.My wife came to the UK in May 2008 and has been granted ILR with me.We have a kid born in April 2009 in India who is also on ILR since May 2011.

1)I assume that I can apply for naturalisation in May 2012 based on the 1yr after ILR following which my son & wife could apply for naturalisation (as son/spouse of a BC). Or would my wife have to wait till May 2013 ?(she would have completed 5yrs in UK by then)

2)What is the earliest mm/yy & the most economical way (fee wise) for the three of us to get naturalised? I do not want to leave it too late in case the rules change.

Thanks in anticipation.
welcome to the forum!!

1) the quickest way to BC is what you described in point #1 and also the expensive way!

The other route is to wait till your wife completes 5 years and you apply as a family. it's cheaper but you have to wait till 2013...

Rule changes: the change quiet a lot for the people on visas but not that much for the ILR category. Once your on ILR; you are entitled to all the benefits of a citizen, therefore the focus is relatively less.

All the rule changes if you see are taking place now: are to reduce the number of ppl getting on the ILR category... So i wouldn't worry about any rule changes...

It's your choice.. You will see in this forum many ppl like you spend a bt more and get the pp quickly...!

good luck!

dinkolfy
Newly Registered

Post by dinkolfy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks very much,shs213.

1) So if I chose option 1, do I submit an AN for me first, then an MN1 for my kid and finally a separate AN for my wife?

2) Or can/should I submit the MN1 for my kid with my AN? ( I know it doesn't make any difference fee wise.)

3) Should I have a passport (not just the certificate of naturalisation) before my wife submits her AN ?

Thanks.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:58 pm

See also routes to eligibility.

My two cents:
1. AN for self + MN1 for child.
2. AN for spouse, after you have naturalised.
Last edited by geriatrix on Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

dinkolfy
Newly Registered

Post by dinkolfy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 pm

Many thanks, sushdmehta.

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:05 am

My situation is very similar and I would appreciate the same advise. I was granted WP in 2005 and got married in Feb 2010. My wife came to the UK in March 2010, we were both granted ILR in Sep 2010. Our baby was born in June this year and he has a British passport. We are going to India next month and I will return alone after 3 weeks, my wife and baby will return in March 2012.
1. I can apply after my return in November but I need to travel to India again in Feb for 3 weeks, so is this sufficient time to apply for Naturalisation plus passport? My wife can then apply in March 2013?
2. We wait till March 2015 and apply together and save around £400

sudhirdige

Post by sudhirdige » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:59 am

PG1983 wrote:My situation is very similar and I would appreciate the same advise. I was granted WP in 2005 and got married in Feb 2010. My wife came to the UK in March 2010, we were both granted ILR in Sep 2010. Our baby was born in June this year and he has a British passport. We are going to India next month and I will return alone after 3 weeks, my wife and baby will return in March 2012.
1. I can apply after my return in November but I need to travel to India again in Feb for 3 weeks, so is this sufficient time to apply for Naturalisation plus passport? My wife can then apply in March 2013?
2. We wait till March 2015 and apply together and save around £400
1. may be sufficient to get naturalisation-takes around 3months-passport plus surrender of Indian passport and then apply for OCI will take another 2 months- so best to apply for naturalisation in November and defer the citizenship ceremony until after you are back from India in February- I am doing the same- got my naturalisation approval this month -going to India next month-back for ceremony in November-
good luck