ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Accumulated days of "visa-free" in the Schengen

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

danisl
Newly Registered

Accumulated days of "visa-free" in the Schengen

Post by danisl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi guys!

Sorry if such a question has already been posted before. The forum is quite big, and I had problems trying to look for such a question.

Im having some visa problems, and Im confused...I can't seem to find someone, even among the bureau clerks in the immigration's office, that will give me a clear answer about my question:

I arrived to Warsaw some two months ago, under "visa-free" entrance. During these two months I was trying any possible legal way of obtaining a residence permit (studies, volunteer, work), but so far it didn't come out well.
My "visa-free" staying here will expire soon (I am here already about 65 days, out of the 90 that I am allowed to stay without a residence permit or visa), and I'm getting some contradicting information, even from formal entities:
Some tell me that if I cross the border outside the schengen (for example, to Ukraine), and come back, the new stamp in the passport will prolong my staying possibility for 90 days more, in which I can continue my quest. Others say that it doesn't go like this, and that I'm allowed for a total of 90 days staying within 6 months, and it does not prolong even if I shortly leave the schengen. This would mean that I would have to go back to my country, for an unknown period of time.

Does anyone have a reliable source, either legal, or formal (of the E.U. or something), from which I can get the true answer? Or maybe someone knows what other possibilities do I have?

From the one hand, I surely do not want to leave Warsaw- I really love it. From the other hand, if I do have to leave, I should get ready for it since I dont have much time to book a flight, etc, and of course I don't want to stay illegaly and risk getting eventually deported.

Thanks for any help.
Yours,
Daniel

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:44 pm

You don't quite say on what basis you have entered "visa-free". Is that because of your nationality? If yes, what is it?

danisl
Newly Registered

Post by danisl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:46 pm

Sorry- yes, I'm Israeli and therefore I could enter on a "visa-free" basis.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:56 pm

Generally, the Schengen rules only allow you to stay 90 days per half year. However, there may be older, bilateral agreements in place which still limit the stay to two times three months per year but without specifying how long the gap between those two chunks should be (so could be just one day). I am not aware if Poland ever made such agreements with Israel before joining the EU (and thus Schengen). If so it is probably reciprocal and you could try and find out if the same applies to Polish nationals when travelling to Israel.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:50 pm

The Polish Embassy in Tel Aviv don't mention anything outside
standard Schengen Rules, i.e. 90 days out of 180.
If you use up your 90 days in a row, you need to stay away 90 days
before coming back.

http://www.telavivpl.org/index.php?m=283&ln=en
Israeli passport holders that intend to visit Poland or another Schengen country for a period shorter than 90 days do not need a visa.

Israeli citizens who intend to work in Poland have to apply for a special Polish visa with a work permit. For details call +972-3-72-53-124.
For detailed information on Schengen Rules
Schengen Visa Code
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 058:EN:PDF

Schengen Border Guard Handbook
http://register.consilium.europa.eu/pdf ... 0.en06.pdf

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:57 am

You seem very focused on Schengen border rules.

But it sounds like your main goal is to stay in Poland longer term. Do you definitely want to stay in Poland or would you consider another EU member state?

Germany?
Angehörige bestimmter Staaten

Ersterteilung/Verlängerung der Aufenthaltserlaubnis

Staatsangehörige von Australien, Neuseeland, Israel, Japan, Kanada, der Republik Korea und der Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika können ohne Visum in die Bundesrepublik Deutschland einreisen. Sie müssen nach der Einreise bei der Ausländerbehörde einen Aufenthaltstitel beantragen, wenn Sie sich länger als drei Monate hier aufhalten oder eine Erwerbstätigkeit ausüben wollen. Wenn Sie während Ihres Aufenthaltes eine unselbständige Beschäftigung ausüben wollen, müssen Sie und Ihr Arbeitgeber zusätzlich das Formular Ausländerbeschäftigung ausfüllen.
http://www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/kvr/ausl ... aaten.html is a better link