ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK to tighten laws to curb people claiming British passports

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

parasiteslost

UK to tighten laws to curb people claiming British passports

Post by parasiteslost » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:44 pm

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:02 pm

The article is slightly behind with the 'news'. This is in the Consultation Paper which was released earlier this year, with the result of the deliberation about to be released.

rajkumarpatel

Post by rajkumarpatel » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Hi,
I read this article and was quite confused as I couldnt see any reference of such news on BIA UK's website. I think the consultation you have refered is for Tier-2/WP of skilled migrants only and not for Tier-1 or HSMP migrants.
Raj

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:24 pm

This is the link you need for most recent update:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ly-consult

and this link for general information:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... migration/

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:11 pm

Curb on immigrants' rights to settle here as rule that allows them to stay after working for five years set for axe

Confirmation of (already) known intentions, IMHO, with plans being drawn up now that relevant consultations have either closed (Tier 2 / Tier 5) or near closure (family route).

Perhaps relevant to "new" migrants only:
Under the plans, to be published before the end of this year, foreigners will still be able to gain a visa to work in Britain, but they will no longer be able to remain here permanently simply by virtue of staying in the country legally for five years.
Perhaps relevant to "existing" migrants as well:
Under the policy, a new ‘hurdle’ will be introduced for immigrants who wish to remain here permanently, based on their ability to support themselves and their families, their qualifications and whether they are working in professions where there are shortages of trained Britons.
Do note that a similar hurdle has already been put in place since April-11 for existing migrants - criminality threshold.

But the devil lies in the detail, so best to wait until detailed plans are outlined, and not worry unnecessarily!
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

rentmeda

Post by rentmeda » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:40 am

Hi Sushdmehta,

On the one relevant to "existing" migrants.. is this for people applying for ILR or for people applying for Naturalisation, that they plan to introduce this new criteria. I know waiting is the best we can do until the plans are outlined. But what to check what you intrepreat from the article.
sushdmehta wrote:Curb on immigrants' rights to settle here as rule that allows them to stay after working for five years set for axe

Confirmation of (already) known intentions, IMHO, with plans being
Perhaps relevant to "existing" migrants as well:
Under the policy, a new ‘hurdle’ will be introduced for immigrants who wish to remain here permanently, based on their ability to support themselves and their families, their qualifications and whether they are working in professions where there are shortages of trained Britons.
Do note that a similar hurdle has already been put in place since April-11 for existing migrants - criminality threshold.

But the devil lies in the detail, so best to wait until detailed plans are outlined, and not worry unnecessarily!

hsmp2tier1

Post by hsmp2tier1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:46 pm

The news is related to the below consultation:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

On page 12, under the 'Summary of Proposals' it clearly mentions to 'Apply these changes to those entering the points-based system from April 2011' as a bullet point.

Hope this clarifies the issue here.

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Post by rajesh9pl » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:29 pm

hsmp2tier1 wrote:The news is related to the below consultation:

On page 12, under the 'Summary of Proposals' it clearly mentions to 'Apply these changes to those entering the points-based system from April 2011' as a bullet point.

oh yes!!.. however, I am still confident that this thread will take few more pages :roll:

Immigrant06

Post by Immigrant06 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:26 pm

Are there any chances of settlement changes for HSMP people covered in JR?

barker

Post by barker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:52 am

hsmp2tier1 wrote:The news is related to the below consultation:

I also see it mentioned on Page 16, point 4.2 "We propose to apply these new settlement criteria to those entering Tiers 1 and 2 from April 2011"

I guess we will have to wait and see if there is any further development on this. Would be interesting to see if the moderators have any thoughts on this.

sojan

Hurdle after hurdle !!

Post by sojan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:32 pm

Can't comment on these until the rules are out.
Some things which I noted were
1. The consultation document mentions Tier1 of Entrepreneurs, highly talented etc only (4.3) onwards and not of normal Tier1 existing people

Did UKBA release the outcome of this consultation?

sys_sagar

Re: Hurdle after hurdle !!

Post by sys_sagar » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:13 pm

[url]http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary[/url]

Page 16 point 4.4 of the proposed document on consultation reads

"TIER 1 – SETTLEMENT
4.4 These are the highly skilled people the UK
needs to help drive economic growth. The
Government’s approach to Tier 1 clearly
demonstrates our desire to attract more of
these individuals. We need to ensure the UK
continues to be an attractive destination,
therefore we believe it is right that Tier 1
continues to be a direct route to settlement
for entrepreneurs and investors. To encourage
more high value investors and entrepreneurs
we will accelerate the journey to settlement
if the applicant meets an enhanced level of
investment or business activity."

It means Settlement route will not change for Tier1

fereneze
Newly Registered

Post by fereneze » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:38 am

Does anyone know if these changes were to come into action will it be beginning of calendar year that's Jan2012 or beginning of finacial year that's Apr12?

Thanks,

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:35 pm

fereneze wrote:Does anyone know if these changes were to come into action will it be beginning of calendar year that's Jan2012 or beginning of finacial year that's Apr12?

Thanks,
which part of this sentence did you not understand?

"We propose to apply these new settlement criteria to those entering Tiers 1 and 2 from April 2011"

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Here's another statement from Greene, that kinda should make it clear to those with the basic grasp of English:

As the Home Secretary announced in February, we intend the
settlement reforms will affect those workers who entered economic migration routes under the Immigration Rules in force from 6 April this year and who, under the current system,
could have expected to apply for settlement in 2016.

dandm

Post by dandm » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:30 am

But what if you got a visa prior to April 2011 (in my case November 2010) but did not enter the country on it until after April 2011 (August 2011)?

I'm worried that not going across straight away is going to rule out ILR. :(

fereneze
Newly Registered

Post by fereneze » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:19 am

@ukswus, my question was based on what was in the news earlier this week. wasn't clear if this related to the rules that were mentioned that is "We propose to apply these new settlement criteria to those entering Tiers 1 and 2 from April 2011".

anyways thank you for pointing out about the "basic grasp of English"! :lol:

sjkumar
Newly Registered

Will it effect the Permanent Residency for the existing

Post by sjkumar » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:52 pm

http://articles.economictimes.indiatime ... ls-britain

Will it effect the Permanent Residency for the existing people of Tier-1 general

rajkumarpatel

Post by rajkumarpatel » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:19 pm

And then there is another article on www.timesofindia.com

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/nri/ ... 242238.cms

I believe the above one is a new one. Is it like something new getting cooked inside closed Spam?

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:46 pm

rajkumarpatel wrote:And then there is another article on www.timesofindia.com

I believe the above one is a new one. Is it like something new getting cooked inside closed Spam?
It's quite clear that this is just a re-print in an indian media of some news posted earlier this week.

But I guess some people just cannot stop themselves from looking for new reasons to worry.

sojan

Post by sojan » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:12 am

I've always felt Indian Newspapers write based on "heard" story. They wont look into the inner details

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:04 am

The title should give you an idea of how much you can take at face value what the article says. "New rules to stop Indian workers settling in the UK" - right and what about every other non-EU nationality? Whilst it's not a false statement, it's not completely true either - how many other half-truths do you think exists in this article (and this is the issue I have when reading these things from 3rd party sources - always go directly to the source and verify it there - don't take anything a journalist writes down as the absolute truth).

wasim_n

Post by wasim_n » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:53 am

mulderpf wrote:

The title should give you an idea of how much you can take at face value what the article says. "New rules to stop Indian workers settling in the UK" - right and what about every other non-EU nationality? Whilst it's not a false statement, it's not completely true either - how many other half-truths do you think exists in this article (and this is the issue I have when reading these things from 3rd party sources - always go directly to the source and verify it there - don't take anything a journalist writes down as the absolute truth).
Well said mulderpf, totally agree with your comments, I would like to add that until people do not hear it with their own ears and see it with their own eyes from the MAIN SOURCE i.e. UKBA, they must not invent something with their small minds and share it on this board to panic others and create a mayhem in ones busy life

gastr
Newly Registered

Post by gastr » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:16 pm

ukswus wrote:Here's another statement from Greene, that kinda should make it clear to those with the basic grasp of English:

As the Home Secretary announced in February, we intend the
settlement reforms will affect those workers who entered economic migration routes under the Immigration Rules in force from 6 April this year and who, under the current system,
could have expected to apply for settlement in 2016.
thanks for pulling out that quote, that's relevant to me. i take this as meaning that people that moved onto a tier2 visa before april of this year will likely use the "old" ILR remain rules, meaning that they can more or less automatically stay after five years.

if anyone has a different understanding of this, please let me know!

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:59 pm

based on the discussion above, can someone explain whether i will be effected or not.

I am going to apply for tier 2 in , lets say, 1 Dec 2011. But, i hope to gain ILR BEFORE April 2016 via 10 year rule, 1 Dec 2015 to be specific. What sets of rules apply to those in my situation.

Thanks,

PS. please do reference your reply with how you come to that conclusion!