ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HELP ME PLZ... IS EEA FAMILY PERMIT ENABLE TRAVELLING TO EU?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

yoyo123
Newly Registered

HELP ME PLZ... IS EEA FAMILY PERMIT ENABLE TRAVELLING TO EU?

Post by yoyo123 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:31 pm

Hello,

I am a french citizen living and working in the UK.
I recently got married. My wife is moroccan and used to live for 5 years in France thanks to a Student visa. That visa expires tomorrow.
Today she just received her EEA Family permit to join me in the UK.
We will apply for a residency card as soon as she arrive in the UK.

My question is:
Is she able to travel to france with or without me for a week end for example ? Does the EEA family permit gives her the right to come back to france with me for tourist purposes or does she will need a short term schengen visa ?

What will happen if we want to come back to live in France in 1 or 2 years maybe ?
Thanks a lot

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:42 pm

The UK issued EEA permit is only with regard to permission to enter the UK. If she wishes to enter France, she will have to travel with you (if she wants to enter under EU rules) or apply for a Schengen visa (if she wants to travel alone).

yoyo123
Newly Registered

Post by yoyo123 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:28 pm

That's good ! Do you have the link of the law where it says that she can travel with me without a visa please ?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:57 pm

Article 5(2) and (4) of Directive 2004/38/EC. My understanding, however, is that France excludes their own citizens from this rule.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:59 pm

The UK issued EEA family permit is only valid for travel to the UK. It does not except holder from visa for schengen countries. A UK issued residence card would exempt your wife.

If you've been exercising treaty rights in the UK (working in your case), then you could benefit from freedom of movement in France in 1 or 2 years time as you put it, ie you could move back to France and apply as if you were an EU citizen that were not French.