ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council tax magistrate fine and declaration

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

HsmpFlr3

Council tax magistrate fine and declaration

Post by HsmpFlr3 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:05 pm

I will be applying for ILR (HSMP Pre Nov 2006) at the end of this month.

About 2 years ago, I forgot to pay my council tax (blame it on my carelessness and poor memory) and got a notice letter from my council (NOT a reminder letter) containing some legal words. I honestly dont remember what it exactly said but something on the lines of "you have been fined in magistrate court and bailiffs will be ordered to collect it blah blah blah".

I called the council very next day and over phone i paid the council tax + some fine as it was mentioned in the letter. I didnt go to any court as such.

The question is should i declare this in the ILR application under the civil judgements / criminal convictions section? If not in the application, should i mention it in the covering letter? The problem is i dont have the notice letter and the exact dates and dont even know what to write.

Gosh cant believe that carelessness will come back to haunt this way...

I would appreciate your suggestions and specifically if you remember what anyone with a similar issue did.

HsmpFlr3

Post by HsmpFlr3 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:53 am

Could some one please suggest what to do for this - Do we have to declare this magistrate fine / mention in covering letter?

aspirant09

Post by aspirant09 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:06 am

I had a similar notice and am due to apply ILR next month. To be honest I am not considering to mention it as when I paid my council tax I was told that the notice is now cancelled because I have paid the tax.

Also, to be on the safer side get a letter from the council stating that you have a "no due" on them.
Thanks.
:-)

bonvivz

Re: Council tax magistrate fine and declaration

Post by bonvivz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:02 pm

I had a summon issued for council tax and when I paid the Council Tax in full, I've requested a letter from them that the summons are cancelled and the payment was done in full. I had my renewal done after this, dint mention in my application at all, although I carried all the details with if in case it comes up in their system.
HsmpFlr3 wrote:I will be applying for ILR (HSMP Pre Nov 2006) at the end of this month.

About 2 years ago, I forgot to pay my council tax (blame it on my carelessness and poor memory) and got a notice letter from my council (NOT a reminder letter) containing some legal words. I honestly dont remember what it exactly said but something on the lines of "you have been fined in magistrate court and bailiffs will be ordered to collect it blah blah blah".

I called the council very next day and over phone i paid the council tax + some fine as it was mentioned in the letter. I didnt go to any court as such.

The question is should i declare this in the ILR application under the civil judgements / criminal convictions section? If not in the application, should i mention it in the covering letter? The problem is i dont have the notice letter and the exact dates and dont even know what to write.

Gosh cant believe that carelessness will come back to haunt this way...

I would appreciate your suggestions and specifically if you remember what anyone with a similar issue did.