ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR and then British Citizenship for dependent UK born child

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

shimu
Newly Registered

ILR and then British Citizenship for dependent UK born child

Post by shimu » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:07 pm

hello all,

My friend is due to get his ILR in Jan' 11. His son was born in the UK. He will apply for British Citizenship for his son soon after getting ILR. His son is in India since the last one year. Please can anyone advise how long will it take for the British passport for the child, if applied from India

thanks for your help in advance.

regards

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:56 pm

It may take up to 12 wks, applications are processed in Hongkong, while passports are printed in the UK.
Read this- How to apply from India

shimu
Newly Registered

Post by shimu » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:23 pm

thanks gidoc. Few more questions

1. After the ILR is granted can my friend bring his son on family visitor visa to UK and apply for his british passport from here ?

2. I understand that applying for british passport will be 2 step process - ' registration as citizen ' and then 'applying for passport'. How will these 2 steps be done when the child is in India ?

3. Suppose the application is done from India. Then if we read the below
http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/resource ... ation.pdf1

This link says that the child and parent will be invited for interview after application has been seen. But my friend will be in UK and his son will be in India ! How will they do this appointment ?

thanks in advance

P.S - SushMehta - the post was showing as 'MOVED' hence I tried to post the new queries in the citizenship forum.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:56 pm

Why am I getting this feeling that the case you refer to is your own rather than your friend's? Too many similarities!! Coincidence? :wink:

Anyways, coming to the issues at hand:
1. Depends. What is the child's age - same as your child's?
2. The detailed process (form, fees, where to send, etc.) for registration of a minor as a British citizen at an overseas diplomatic post should be enquired from at the local BHC. The process for applying a passport is explained in the link already provided to you above.
3. If an interview is necessary then it is common sense that the parent(s) resident in UK may need to travel to the country where the passport application has been submitted. That said, if this child is the same age as your son (2.5 years), I have my doubts about the need to "interview" a 2.5 year old!
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

shimu
Newly Registered

Post by shimu » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:43 pm

thanks for your reply.

The child is 3 years old now. My friend is likely to apply for his passport in 2 more months. So considering this, can his son come over on 'family visitor visa' and apply for registration and passport from here ?

P.S Similarities are too much. Thats why I am really interested in helping him out. Whatever he does - we will copy !

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:11 pm

Difficult that an entry clearance application as a "visitor" will be approved for a 3 year old child when both parents are resident in the UK. Had he been of school going age, one could still have argued "school attendance" as evidence of strong ties with the country (of return).

For an intelligent ECO, a UK birth certificate and either parent's settled status is a clear give-away of any disguised intentions in such cases.

shimu
Newly Registered

Post by shimu » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:39 pm

thanks.

In that case, I dont understand what kind of visa will need to be applied to first bring the child to UK and then apply for his registration and biritish passport. In our case, I am not going to get ILR with my husband has I have not been in UK for 2 yrs. Which means I need to go for FLR and then apply for visa for son... but which visa ?

In my friends case his wife is going to get ILR with him. So what visa will they apply for their son to bring him to UK and then do further processing.

thanks for your help.regards

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:48 pm

That depends on when the child intends to travel to the UK - before the sponsoring parent is granted settlement or after?

If before, then the child will need to apply for entry clearance as "dependant" under the same category as the sponsoring parent.
If after, then the child will need to apply for entry clearance as child of a settled person.