ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch from Tier 2 to Tier 4

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nature123
Newly Registered

Switch from Tier 2 to Tier 4

Post by nature123 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:57 am

Hello,

I am currently on a Tier 2 Visa, working full time. However I plan on terminating my employment and switching back to Tier 4 visa as I want to be in full time education to complete my masters and then have other plans . I am assuming having gone through the UKBA website that I can switch categories. However I need to understand when should I apply for Tier 4 visa.. Would it be once I have handed notice or can be after I have terminated my employment. I have read somewhere that I have 60 days to switch my visa category once my employment has terminated..Is this correct? I am aware that I need to provide evidence of funds and also certificate of acceptance from my Uni. Is there anything else I need to be careful about in this process of switching categories?

Deviser

Post by Deviser » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:47 am

Peoples are dieing to switch from Tier4 to Tier2 and you are planning to switch from Tier2 to Tier4???

Tier 2 visa is hard to get now a days and there is more restrictions become enforced by next month plus UKBA planning to finish permanent residency options for new foreign people coming to work in the UK. After a couple of years there may be no Tier 2 anymore like HSMP. So my suggestion is don’t switch, try to complete your masters by studying part time or look for other options rather then switching.

nature123
Newly Registered

Post by nature123 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:08 pm

Thanks for your post-Deviser. I understand what you are saying , however I just feel that I am stuck with no progression with my current employer. I was lucky that I obtained Tier 2 Visas through them however I just intend to go back to my home country and have better career prospects there. I just want to finish my masters degree before I go back and hence I plan to switch categories. I understand that I can do it part time but it just takes too long and I think I should enjoy my education for 1 year and be quick to move back home and start my own business etc rather than not enjoying work and having to study along with it.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:03 pm

When does your course start and when does your tier 2 visa expire?

nature123
Newly Registered

Post by nature123 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:31 pm

My course starts in January 2012 and my Tier 2 Visa is valid till April 2013

vndpag

work and study same time

Post by vndpag » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:41 pm

nature123 wrote:My course starts in January 2012 and my Tier 2 Visa is valid till April 2013
Hi nature123

I will advice you not change or switch in to tier4 because you have plenty of option to choose your career path until your visa valid. In UK there is many university offering courses for working professionals such as evening and weekend to complete your choice of courses. Once you change in to tier4 you will allowed to work only 20 hours per week on post graduation level or level 7. You may find difficulty to survive to looking at current expenses in UK in part time employment. If you have enough money to pay your ( fees+ accommodation +travel+food+etc.) for whole year without working then it is absolutely fine to switch in to tier4.Everything is in your hand what you want and how you manage is all your decision. but my advice is that if you continue working in UK your gaining UK experience and same time you have opportunity study and once you will completed is good for your future where ever you will be. Good luck

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:01 pm

vndpag and Deviser, nature123 has asked for advice on switching from tier 2 to tier 4, whatever your own personal feelings on staying on a tier 2 visa, s/he has given his/her reasons why s/he does not wish to do this and intends to return home at the end of his/her studies so I am not sure that harbouring the point about tier 2 is really very helpful.

nature 123 - you can apply for the tier 4 visa no more than 3 months before the course starts and once you meet the rules (i.e. have money for fees/living costs and have your CAS and necessary qualifications). You do not need to wait until you have given your notice or until you have served out your notice.

Whether you give notice before or after making your tier 4 application is up to you - it partly depends on how much notice you need to give. Once you have stopped working for your employer this will be reported to the UKBA and they may seek to curtial you leave to 60 days - therefore you should make your tier 4 application as soon as possible after you hand in your notice if you choose to wait until after this to make your application.

pragn
Newly Registered

Tier 2 to Tier 4 Dependent

Post by pragn » Sat May 25, 2013 7:16 pm

One of my friend is on Tier 2 ICT visa, can he apply for Tier 4 dependent from inside UK. His spouse has got a Tier 4 Visa.