ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

father in law came to visit us in the UK and had a stroke

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tinkerbell
Newly Registered

father in law came to visit us in the UK and had a stroke

Post by tinkerbell » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me. My father-in-law is a 79 year old widower who came to visit us in the UK in May on a visitors visa. He was due to go back in November which is when his visa runs out. He subsequently had a severe stroke in Sept and is completely paralyzed on one side of his body. He is also incontinent and can only sit in a chair for a couple of hours at a time.

He is currently in hospital. He did not have medical insurance and has no means to pay for his treatment. The airlines is insisting that he travel back by stretcher which would cost in excess of 15k. He doesn't have the money or any assets to cover this cost and we too can't afford to pay this. The hospital is now insisting that we either pay this or they will discharge him to our home address! Again, we have 2 young children and both work full-time, we cannot possibly take on the caring responsibilities for him in his current condition. Our house is also not adapted for this purpose.

My husband sponsored him but the sponsorship letter clearly states that he would provide food and accommodation.

We really don't know what to do and this has totally turned our lives upside down. My husband and I are both British citizens and I wondered if there was anyone else that has had a similar experience or can suggest a way through this!

Thanks.

Markie

Re: father in law came to visit us in the UK and had a strok

Post by Markie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:07 pm

I fully symphatise with your situation...however did you know that your father-in-laws hospital bills will go straight through the roof as he is not a resident in the UK.

What i am saying is that you will incur a further huge financial strain if you keep him in the hospital in the UK.

tinkerbell wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me. My father-in-law is a 79 year old widower who came to visit us in the UK in May on a visitors visa. He was due to go back in November which is when his visa runs out. He subsequently had a severe stroke in Sept and is completely paralyzed on one side of his body. He is also incontinent and can only sit in a chair for a couple of hours at a time.

He is currently in hospital. He did not have medical insurance and has no means to pay for his treatment. The airlines is insisting that he travel back by stretcher which would cost in excess of 15k. He doesn't have the money or any assets to cover this cost and we too can't afford to pay this. The hospital is now insisting that we either pay this or they will discharge him to our home address! Again, we have 2 young children and both work full-time, we cannot possibly take on the caring responsibilities for him in his current condition. Our house is also not adapted for this purpose.

My husband sponsored him but the sponsorship letter clearly states that he would provide food and accommodation.

We really don't know what to do and this has totally turned our lives upside down. My husband and I are both British citizens and I wondered if there was anyone else that has had a similar experience or can suggest a way through this!

Thanks.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:21 am

Sorry to hear about your personal circumstances. As pointed out by above poster, the longer your father in law stays in hospital, the more cost you will be running up

Furthermore I hate to say this, but there is a good chance that your family and husband will be made responsible for all his costs, irrespective of what was stated in sponsor form. Generally the sponsor is responsible for everything for the person whom they have invited over. :cry:

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:29 am

this is pretty awful , this should be a reminder to all travellers to take out insurance .
You or he will have to pay the medical costs and any care he has when he leaves hospital .
If he looks like he will be unable to fly for sometime you may have to look at applying for compassionate grounds to extend his visa
pennyless

vjs8in

Post by vjs8in » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:06 am

You havent mentioned your FIL's nationality. check with the embassy if there is anything they could help on a compassionate ground..