ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ROA or British Passport for Dual Citizenship Malaysian child

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jimmylau8080

ROA or British Passport for Dual Citizenship Malaysian child

Post by jimmylau8080 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:08 pm

Dear All

My son is born in UK and is 4 years old now. Currently, he is holding Malaysian Passport. I plan to bring him back for holiday next school holiday.

Currently, I got no problem to bring him back to Malaysia because he got Malaysia Passport. He will have issue back to UK because he don't need Visa as his parent is Permanent Resident and he is British because he born in UK. But, we got nothing to show in airport except for his British Citizenship Certificate .

The only solutions are either applying a British passport for him or apply (ROA) Right of Abode VAF7 in Malaysia with his new Malaysia's Passport.

Had anyone apply (ROA) Right of Abode for their son in UK Embassy based in Malaysia before? Any idea what is the waiting time? Or do you all have any better suggestion

Thanks

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Does Malaysia allow dual citizenship? AFAIK, it doesn't but I stand to be corrected.

Until then, the question is - is the child's Malaysian passport a valid legal identity and travel document?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

jimmylau8080

ROA or British Passport for Dual Citizenship Malaysian son

Post by jimmylau8080 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Glad to hear from you

Malaysia do not allow Dual Citizenship. But, I don't think he allow to Renunciation Malaysia Citizenship because if I not mistaken 'The applicant for Renunciation Malaysia Citizenship must be 21 years and above'

Anyway, I like to keep thing simple and avoid any risk that he will loss his Malaysia Citizenship. That why I was think apply ROA in Malaysia with his Malaysia Passport because he still can apply ROA as long as he don't have British Passport. Does anyone, had experience applying ROA for their son who is British and any idea what is the waiting period?

Also beside ROA, is there any there options?

Thanks

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:48 pm

I am not sure if BHC will issue a ROA on a Malaysian passport - unless the minor is legally allowed to retain his Malaysian citizenship (and therefore passport) after "voluntarily" acquiring British citizenship.

Other than ROA (if legally possible) or a British passport, there is no alternative - as a British citizen cannot apply for any other visa (and if you have given it a thought, don't, it will be deception).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

jimmylau8080

Post by jimmylau8080 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:16 pm

By the way, Malaysian Passport can visit UK without Visa for 6 months as long as they are visitor. Do you think that consider deception? Or I just show Malaysia Passport with British Citizenship Certification?