ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question for Application for British Nationality

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

john_me
Newly Registered

Question for Application for British Nationality

Post by john_me » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:27 pm

Me, my child (under 14) and my spouse have an ILR letter .

The question is that when applying for British Citizenship, do we need to fill in three separate forms? I mean while my child is entitled to apply by him/herself what are the implications of being included in one of his/her parent’s forms?

It’s nothing wrong in including him/she in one of ours forms but then why was she given an ILR letter in the first place?

Please advice,

John

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:38 am

The question is that when applying for British Citizenship, do we need to fill in three separate forms? I mean while my child is entitled to apply by him/herself what are the implications of being included in one of his/her parent’s forms?
Whilst the Home Office will consider a joint application you must still submit two application forms in respect of you and your wife. Your child can be included as a minor in either one of the two forms and will be 'regsitered' as a British citizen whilst you an your wife will be 'naturalised' as British Citizens. Both status are the same its just the former is for under 18's. The advantage of a joint application is that you pay a single processing fee and are likley to get all stages of your processing done together right up to the citizenship ceremony. This assumes your wife and you both meet the residence requirements - if one of you doesn't then they have to wait for the other one to naturalise then apply separately as the spouse of a British Citizen for which the residence requirement is shorter.

It’s nothing wrong in including him/she in one of ours forms but then why was she given an ILR letter in the first place?
I assume you submitted his/her individual passport for ILR stamping which would be accompanied by a grant of ILR letter. In any case the Home Office will issue a status letter to each applicant for a variation of leave (change of status) including dependents.