ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Best Option?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

chocolatelover
Newly Registered

Best Option?

Post by chocolatelover » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:16 pm

Hi everyone I've been reading this forum for some time and have found so much useful information.

I want my boyfriend who lives in Nigeria to join me here in the UK. I am British and I was born here.
Problem is we first meet over the internet through his cousin.
We used to chat all the time. Then we became more serious. We have met but only once and that was recently.

Im worried that we wont have any basis as our relationship may not be taken as seriously since it began over the internet. He has a job over there earning ok money I am an assistnat manager in a large departmet store so I have no money issues. Im currently living with my mother though as I have just finished my degree but if he was to come over theres plenty of room. But I know that nigerians are viewed as always doing something illegal so what are the best things to do to strengthen our case.

Also he went to pilot school in nigeria and did exams in the US but he dropped out as he decided he didnt wish to pursue a career in aeronautics he does have evidence of all that as well.

I've had a few suggestons but I am confused

a) I should go over there and get married - I do love him but thats such a serious step to take and its almost a marriage of convience. Plus dont want a rushed wedding

b)Apply for a fiance visa

c) He could try the HSMP route

I would really appriecate any help please. I really dont want to be parted for much longer

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:50 pm

chocolatelover wrote:We have met but only once and that was recently.
In which country did you meet?

chocolatelover
Newly Registered

Post by chocolatelover » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:20 pm

Kayalami wrote:
chocolatelover wrote:We have met but only once and that was recently.
In which country did you meet?
Over there in nigeria I went to see him

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:32 pm

The fact that you have met adds some credibility to your relationship in respect of the Entry Clearance Officer at the relevant British High Commission in Nigeria. I concur that it is useful not to rush into a marriage prior to getting to know each other better but appreciate that in some situations people feel they have no choice. You are best placed to make this decision. If he is eligible for the HSMP then it is worthwhile applying for it as it will give you time to get to know each other better. Added to this will be that he (in theory) will be readily employable which always makes things easier.

I enquired as to where you met on the presumption that if it was in the UK he had strong socio-economic ties in Nigeria for him to be granted a UK visa. I would have suggested some more visits between the 2 of you in this case but on the premise he does not have a UK visa then there is a risk of refusal in applying for one. Again on the presumption that the grant of a US study visa indicates there isn't an issue with finances it may be a visitor visa is not a problem for him. He could also go for a student visa as another option or even a Working Holiday Visa (if he is age 30 or under). Full employment type visas though i.e HSMP and Work Permit rule the roost though so he should aim for this if possible. The WP needs an employer to sponsor the HSMP is self petitioning.

Note that any application where you are a sponsor must include substantive evidence of your financial position. Read through the threads on the family forum including the sticky to see the level of documentation required to inlcude that from family members offering support e.g. mortgage deeds.

Review your options in light of this and come back with any questions you may have.

chocolatelover
Newly Registered

Post by chocolatelover » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:02 am

If he is to make the application what evidence would we have to show that we have meet in person. Would I need to send him my ticket confirmation? Its not very clear the type of evidence that want.

Thanks for all your advice.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:02 pm

With respect I have requested you to look through the family forum and see the relevant details/ documentation submitted by others in circumstances similar to yours - it would seem you are yet to do this. Forums such as these require some legwork from posters for a speedier resolution to their respective circumstances.

chocolatelover
Newly Registered

Post by chocolatelover » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:12 pm

OOps sorry...

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:44 pm

Don't mean to sound like your mum giving you the proverbial lecture :) ....most definitive proof of contact in your case would be passport stamps and tickets indicating your travel dates to Nigeria coupled with photographic evidence of your time there together. You need to also print out your respective e-mails and if relevant phone bills showing the numbers you called in Nigeria and likewise so does your b/f. Good luck with your reading.