ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need so much advice on umarried partner's visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Nadia79
Newly Registered

Need so much advice on umarried partner's visa

Post by Nadia79 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:39 pm

bjhjbkl
Last edited by Nadia79 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:56 pm

As I understand it you should really use a visitors visa (or waivered visitors visa in ur case as a Canadian) as a settlement visa.

I know people do it and get away with it, but my mates American wife (he is GC holder) was questioned last two times on arrival at Manchester Airport becuase of frequent long visits here......

How do I know? I was the poor sop who was waiting to pick them up in the bus lane bit........

Steve

Nadia79
Newly Registered

Thanks

Post by Nadia79 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:59 pm

dfhfglhjvjbjb
Last edited by Nadia79 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:01 pm

Nadia79 wrote:1. I assume it's alright if he comes to Canada for one year and we live together then we go back to England and live the 2nd year there?
Depends on what he will be doing in Canada for 1 year - visiting, working, studying? If visiting he will be faced with the challenges I state below for you visiting the UK.
Nadia79 wrote:2. What type of proof will we need to provide? Appartment lease with both our names on it? Pictures to prove we've met? Joint bank account statements? Phone bills in both our names? TV bills in both our names? Grocery store receipts?? Airline tickets to prove we flew to be together in England and Canada?
The documents you list are all acceptable and indeed substantiate your relationship. Additional documents include joint credit cards, auto insurance policies and life insurance policies/wills naming the other party as the beneficiary. If he is liable for Canadian Income tax during his stay in Canada then make sure you file jointly for this. The notice of assesment from CCRA (wasn't it just easier when we called it Revenue Canada :) ) can be submitted as part of the proof.
Nadia79 wrote:3. When we go back to England for the 2nd year, I won't be able to work there obviously till we apply for the visa. So do I just go to England without a visa (Canadian citizens don't need a visa to visit) and live there? Then come back to Canada every 6 months (you can't stay more than 6 months at a time?).
The Immigration Officer at the relevant UK Port of Entry must be satisfied that you are a bona fide visitor who will not be working illegaly in the UK and will leave within the specified time period of not more than 6 months. IO's especially look out for flippers.....those who leave the UK near to or at the end of the 6 month period then return soon after e.g. those who take a day trip to France to the UK for a fresh 6 months entry. With respect how will you survive in the UK for 12 months without employment? Will your b/f support you? Will he afford to? If the IO is not convinced on this you won't get in. Ideally you should return on an employment type visa if possible e.g. a work permit/hsmp or if this is not feasible a student visa funds permiting. As a student you can work 20 hours a week in term time and full time during vacations. This will be a simpler route to completing the 1 year you require. Further note that in any case the immigration rules do not allow someone who has entered as a visitor to change status to an unmarried partner..sorry.

Working Holiday Visas (WHV) are of 2 years duration so out of interest did you only stay for 1 year on the WHV (if so why?) or you met your b/f only in the final year of your WHV?

Nadia79
Newly Registered

Unmarried partner's visa

Post by Nadia79 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:28 pm

gjhgjhgh
Last edited by Nadia79 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nadia79
Newly Registered

Post by Nadia79 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:37 pm

hkjhkkllk