ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Consultation on changes to employment-related settlement

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:04 pm

Sheffield_Marketeer
Member of Standing

Post by Sheffield_Marketeer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Was giving the MAC study a read and came up with this:

Using earnings as a proxy for productivity, Tier 1 and Tier 2 migrants as a whole, excluding intra-company transferees, are just under twice as productive as the non-migrant population.

Interesting, this.

sojan

MAC report

Post by sojan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:36 am

What a Report !!
they have analysed each and everything in this..

quite powerful to take decisions.. and the census data will be with them already.

barabashka

Post by barabashka » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:55 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ority.html?

It looks like they will be announcing this week...Or at least provide some more information...
It doesnt look good - they basically repeat the same phrases of the "brightest and best", which probably means current Tier 1 exceptional talent - 1000 people/year...

dandm

Post by dandm » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:06 pm

teir12011
Newly Registered

some more noise 2012

Post by teir12011 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:57 pm

there seems to be some noise in the tabloid this weekend, hope something useful.

barabashka

Post by barabashka » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:48 am

Well...my fingers are on a "send" button to apply for a Tier 2 visa. I have postponed it until the situation becomes clear.
Let's see what they come up with this week. If they do not pick me up for settlement, I am not going to pick them up to work there.
The employer is going to be furious...but every decision has its consequences!
Last edited by barabashka on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sheffield_Marketeer
Member of Standing

Post by Sheffield_Marketeer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:46 am

I am really eager to see what the report says. We just got our Tier 2 and also buying a house. I wish they hadnt proposed to put the restrictions retrospectively, that's all!

GSOtodd

Post by GSOtodd » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:07 pm

I think the government has made a mockery of itself (Labour and Tories). I understand the need to tighten the criteria but you don't invite or allow people in and then chew them up and spit them out. This is like inviting a friend over for a meal, deciding at the last minute you don't want their company and telling them to leave.
Andy

dandm

Post by dandm » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:57 pm

Looks like the announcement will be today, lots of hints out already:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/feb/0 ... cy-wealthy

sys_sagar

Post by sys_sagar » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:21 pm

Will this apply for applicants that come under JR as well. I m talking about minimum salary requirement for more than 31000 for settling in UK

barabashka

Post by barabashka » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:22 pm

dandm wrote:Looks like the announcement will be today, lots of hints out already:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/feb/0 ... cy-wealthy
There is nothing new in what he said...What a pointless speech...
On a positive note, it looks like their "salary threshold" is going to be set to something closer to 31,000 than to 49,000...

BTW, does anyone know if the salary threshold is at the time of entrance or at the time of application for ILR?

barabashka

Post by barabashka » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:25 pm

sys_sagar wrote:Will this apply for applicants that come under JR as well. I m talking about minimum salary requirement for more than 31000 for settling in UK
If JR is under Tier 2 General, the salary threshold probably will apply to it. But we are really speculating now - there was no real information in the announcement.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:31 pm

sys_sagar wrote:Will this apply for applicants that come under JR as well. I m talking about minimum salary requirement for more than 31000 for settling in UK
read the information about the consultation at the beginning of the thread.

Sheffield_Marketeer
Member of Standing

Post by Sheffield_Marketeer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:48 pm

The wider population who seem to think that 'immigration' is a HUGE burden on the nation's resources- NHS etc, can be quite off the mark when it comes to some of the ideas they have of immigrants.

I do agree that immigration can be one of the reasons that the NHS is so short staffed, but to squarely blame it on immigrants is another thing.
Some of the misconceptions are glaring (check this article-http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16850563).

Note comments made by points:

94. Immigration would soon balance out if the rules were

You have to live & WORK here for at least 3 years before you would be entitled to ANYhealthcare, benefits (inc' child benefits) or houses.
2) If you commit a crime in your first 10 years, you (& your family) WILL be removed.
Other EU countries do this, why not us?

AND

124. It's simple: a company must prove that a job cannot be taken by a British national before offering it to someone from elsewhere. This is what they do in the States and should be applied here (including for those form within the EU)

As immigrants, we do not have access to benefits unless ILR status is achieved AFTER 5 years of work and paying taxes. And the RMLT started recently is the new clause that beats this person's argument.
I really wish there was a way we could educate what being an immigrant means and its NOT just about landing in this country today and claiming benefits from tomorrow.

I came here in 2007 and have been working since then- paying my due tax. And in all my years here, I have had less than 6 visits to the doctors.

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:08 pm

I have been in this country permanently since 2004 and havent cost the state a bean!!! I reckon i have made a maximum of 5 visits to the GP, and thats it!! My total support to the exchequer through university fees, income tax and NI contributions (not considering everything else, and yes theres loads i can add) is an £80k - my very conservative estimate...and visa renewals since i've been here have cost me about £3,500!!! lol...Even then lets face it i am still seen as a scrounger (all immigrants obviously are to some) and can be kicked out of the country at anytime to the loud applauds of the public. oh dear

sheraz_aries
Member of Standing

Post by sheraz_aries » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:38 pm

Greenie wrote:
read the information about the consultation at the beginning of the thread.
Any thoughts Greenie?
Many Thanks

Aryan2013
Member of Standing

Post by Aryan2013 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:15 pm

Full speech:

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-cent ... ation-work

"the legitimate question in today’s world is how can we benefit from immigration."

The simple answer is be honest to public, tell them the truth!!

sheraz_aries
Member of Standing

Post by sheraz_aries » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:42 pm

Aryan2013 wrote:Full speech:

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-cent ... ation-work

"the legitimate question in today’s world is how can we benefit from immigration."

The simple answer is be honest to public, tell them the truth!!
Was just wondering he did not mention would it be applicable to new entrance or on those who already in uk in those categories
Many Thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:16 pm

please, please, read the beginning of this thread this was already discussed in detail before, nothing has changed.

fomsand1

Post by fomsand1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:51 pm

Wow!, very very interesting. We all can only speculate what the outcome of this review will be and which category of visas this will affect. I know from history that they make some sort of provision for those already in the UK or those already on old schemes and that the policy on Immigration usually changes at the beginning of the fiscal year, usually April. But one thing that is certain here is that it will change. Now who it will affect or not is what remains unclear. On this basis, I can only say that prayers and unity of purpose is the only key. If all of us members on this forum are unified towards one cause like the JR guys (of which I believe we are far more than they were at the time), I strongly believe we will have a case.
Thumbs up if everyone is in support of this?

Sheffield_Marketeer
Member of Standing

Post by Sheffield_Marketeer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:28 pm

@fomsand1- What do you propose? and how do you propose to clarify the group's stand?

GSOtodd

Post by GSOtodd » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:45 pm

What about the "resident labour market test being eased for high earners". What are they on about there? Does that mean that all jobs over the salary of 31,000 are exempt from the resident labour market test or only certain jobs that will be making a contribution. Surely if it was all jobs over 31,000 pounds a year, that wouldn't be getting the immigrant numbers down.
Andy

GSOtodd

Post by GSOtodd » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Also, does Damian Green know what he is talking about anyway? He said that high earners will be exempt from the labour market test. Well, they already are exempt and also, they are exempt from the cap as well. Any job over the threshold of 150,000 is automatically exempt from having to be passed by the Labour Market test and are exempt from the cap. So, does Mr Green not know our immigration policies?
Andy

Pandagon
Newly Registered

Post by Pandagon » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:27 pm

fomsand1 wrote:Wow!, very very interesting. We all can only speculate what the outcome of this review will be and which category of visas this will affect. I know from history that they make some sort of provision for those already in the UK or those already on old schemes and that the policy on Immigration usually changes at the beginning of the fiscal year, usually April. But one thing that is certain here is that it will change. Now who it will affect or not is what remains unclear. On this basis, I can only say that prayers and unity of purpose is the only key. If all of us members on this forum are unified towards one cause like the JR guys (of which I believe we are far more than they were at the time), I strongly believe we will have a case.
Thumbs up if everyone is in support of this?
Fomsand1, I'm onboard to protest if the changes impact those who are already here in a category that currently leads to ILR. Haven't fought a battle for a long time and one with the xenophobics are even more exhilarating!

If they retrospectively apply the new rules and demand those who entered the UK before April 2011 to meet the new conditions to be granted ILR, then they leave us with no choice but to unit and fight back all the way to the European court. Bring it on, more than in the fighting mode!
Last edited by Pandagon on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.