ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

pumbatimon
Newly Registered

British Citizenship Query

Post by pumbatimon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi All,

This is with reference to British citizenship rules. My husband is on ILR and will qualify for BC in February 2012. I have been on Tier 1 for 3 years and then jumped as a dependent on his visa after his ILR. My 2 year qualifying period will get over in March 2013. To complicate the situation I have been offered an intra company transfer (but will be seen as new job to USA or Switzerland).

USA could be my choice and the company is going to do a L1 visa for me. I have managed to extend my stay in UK until next year March when I qualify for ILR. The plan is to get my ILR and leave the country.

My Queries are:

1) From what I have read so far from various other posts there is a possibility to apply for Naturalization the next day after getting your ILR for spouses. Is that the case and have anyone gone through the experience?

2) For naturalization it says 3 years residence (legally i presume and not necessary as spouse?)

2) If the above is true can I apply for Naturalization and leave the country and say come back for rest of the process after a few months?

2) I am not sure if the L1 visa to USA will affect my application for either my ILR or naturalization process. I doubt if my company will give me a letter saying that it is an intra -company transfer; even though the visa is L1 the job is seen as new post/application.

Please give me your thoughts or similar experiences.

Any help is much appreciated

Warm regards
Aarati

damidamz
Newly Registered

Post by damidamz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:42 pm

1. you can apply for british citizenship after 1 year of ILR and you can't apply through your spouse, you have to have ILR for 1 year to be a british citizen

2. the qualification period is: you have to be living in the uk for the past 3 years on the day your making your application and havnt been outside the uk for more than 90 days within 1 year of the application

so if you were granted ILR, then you can leave the uk but you must not leave the uk for more than 2 years otherwise your ILR will be cancelled

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:50 pm

damidamz wrote:1. you can apply for british citizenship after 1 year of ILR and you can't apply through your spouse, you have to have ILR for 1 year to be a british citizen
Not correct. If married to a BC, there is no need to hold ILR for 12 months.

Answering your questions:

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. No affect if married to BC.

pumbatimon
Newly Registered

Post by pumbatimon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:26 pm

Jambo wrote:
damidamz wrote:1. you can apply for british citizenship after 1 year of ILR and you can't apply through your spouse, you have to have ILR for 1 year to be a british citizen
Not correct. If married to a BC, there is no need to hold ILR for 12 months.

Answering your questions:

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. No affect if married to BC.
Thanks for answering my queries!

textirona
Newly Registered

applying for british citizenship

Post by textirona » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:07 am

hi there. my wife and i together with our kids got our ILR last year february. my wife was on work permit visa for 5 years before we got the ILR. now the situation is this month or next month, my wife will be applying for british citizenship, but i am not included in the application for the reason of the residence requirement which is 5 years. i have been here in UK since june 2008 so that is only 3 years 7 months. my question is do i have to wait until i reach 5 years of staying here before i can apply for citizenship? i hope you can give me options on what to do or there may be other ways. thanks in advance.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: applying for british citizenship

Post by Jambo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:29 am

textirona wrote:hi there. my wife and i together with our kids got our ILR last year february. my wife was on work permit visa for 5 years before we got the ILR. now the situation is this month or next month, my wife will be applying for british citizenship, but i am not included in the application for the reason of the residence requirement which is 5 years. i have been here in UK since june 2008 so that is only 3 years 7 months. my question is do i have to wait until i reach 5 years of staying here before i can apply for citizenship? i hope you can give me options on what to do or there may be other ways. thanks in advance.
Once your wife is granted BC, apply as a spouse.

textirona
Newly Registered

Post by textirona » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:47 am

so does that mean i can apply right away? if that's the case the residence requirement would only be 3 years right? so im over 3 years. so is that possible?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:09 pm

textirona wrote:so does that mean i can apply right away? if that's the case the residence requirement would only be 3 years right? so im over 3 years. so is that possible?
Yes.
Right away after your wife is granted BC.

textirona
Newly Registered

Post by textirona » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:04 pm

thank you very much!