ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

seeking employment in electrical field...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

maverickstoned
Newly Registered

seeking employment in electrical field...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by maverickstoned » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:19 pm

hello everyone.............thanks for starting this topic as it would help a lot of people securing new opprotunity. as far as my position is ....m stayin here for a good 8 months now with a resident card and still not been able to face a single interview although i do have 8 yrs of experience in electrical field.i hold a indian diploma in electrical engineering and all my work experience comes from india.i have contacted naric and procured a comparison of my indian qualification in terms of uk equivalent qualificaion. they gave me a btech national diploma ( NVQ level 3).i have also checked my resume through various jobsites and its above average intrems of looks,achievement,and experience.........i understand the economy is in a difficult face but still shell shocked to not even secured a interview in 8 months...........m a bit deprssed and dont know how to proceed now.......any suggestion would help...........thank you all again..

maverickstoned
Newly Registered

any advice

Post by maverickstoned » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:43 pm

any advice

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:44 am

Does your CV look any better than your forum post? When you apply for jobs, do you use the same language and style of writing as you did in your post?

If you want to come across as professional, you need to act as a professional. I have seen way too many CV's like yours and I simply just throw them out as I'm not interested in conducting an interview with someone who could not bother to take pride in their CV in the first place. I suspect you are in the same position...

maverickstoned
Newly Registered

Post by maverickstoned » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:21 am

mulderpf wrote:Does your CV look any better than your forum post? When you apply for jobs, do you use the same language and style of writing as you did in your post?

If you want to come across as professional, you need to act as a professional. I have seen way too many CV's like yours and I simply just throw them out as I'm not interested in conducting an interview with someone who could not bother to take pride in their CV in the first place. I suspect you are in the same position...
m sorry muldrepf, but could you enlighten me as to what is wrong with my language in the post, may be a few spelling mistake but i do take care with those in my CV and i do take pride in my CV.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:15 am

How about using some capital letters when starting a new sentence? Maybe a space after a full stop. It is "I am" or "I'm" not "m". And then there are a few spelling mistakes, but that's just human (and this is afterall a forum post, not your CV). I really suggest you check it again, because what looked fine to you in a forum post definitely is not acceptable if you are looking at 50 other CV's.

Even in your response, you do the same thing.

maverickstoned
Newly Registered

Post by maverickstoned » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:56 pm

mulderpf wrote:How about using some capital letters when starting a new sentence? Maybe a space after a full stop. It is "I am" or "I'm" not "m". And then there are a few spelling mistakes, but that's just human (and this is afterall a forum post, not your CV). I really suggest you check it again, because what looked fine to you in a forum post definitely is not acceptable if you are looking at 50 other CV's.

Even in your response, you do the same thing.
Hi Mulderpf. I got my CV checked by CV-trumpet and gave me 22 points out of a total of 30 and of-course suggesting some improvement as they are a providing services in CV writing. I surely check my CV for grammatical and spelling mistakes when i make my Application. I guess my problem would be that i don't call them often after making the application. I did call them before but i guess not everyone likes it but i need to call them very often now. thanks for your advice. Regards

Idea

Post by Idea » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:10 pm

maverickstoned

I'm in the Mechanical Engg. field and based on my experience I would say English or CV presentation cannot be a stumbling block in getting a job interview. Unless you want to be an editor with Guardian, people dont really care about the grammar - provided u have the technical skills and are able to get your point across . I would suggest you'll need to try to network with people with similar experience and find out about their Job roles and codes and std.s they use - it could be something related to UK specific requirements, which you dont have - try to equip yourself in those areas ...

Idea

Post by Idea » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:14 pm

double post.

maverickstoned
Newly Registered

Post by maverickstoned » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:31 pm

Dear Idea,thank you very much for your guidance. I have researched and spoken to few people who are working in the same roles as i did but they told me that the market is just tough and all you can do is try for BS7671 certification which is the wiring regulation and a cscs green card but also told me that if the employer likes your skill they dont care and you can do those while working for them as it takes just few day. I am a bit confused now? i do get calls from recruitment agents but most of the time its completely different sector for which i have no work experience.With your experience can you tell me if there are any certification required to work in a manufacturing environment at a starting position.any help will be appreciated,thanks again bye

Idea

Post by Idea » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:58 pm

OP

My understanding is services sector is doing better than manufacturing, maybe you should try to widen your net and be open to other sectors. The first job in the UK i settled for one step lower and also not 'bang on' in my field of experience. but i used it as a platform to get to a role of my choice later on.

I work in the Energy (oil/gas, power) and process industries and I find the ratio of electrical engineers to Mech/Civil/Chemical/Process engineers is very low. so obviously the openings would be limited. But heavy industries and transmission side of energy industry do need a large proportion of electrical engineers.

So, there is no obvious fix. but its good to be ready to adapt. like electrical design may be an option. If you have good fundamentals its quite possible to work across sectors. You can be honest about your intentions with the potential employers and its not unusual for engr.s switching to different sectors.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:28 pm

What's with the sudden interest in this post? It's been almost three months since the OP posted his message.

Idea

Post by Idea » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:39 am

mulderpf wrote:What's with the sudden interest in this post? It's been almost three months since the OP posted his message.
So do we have to explain the motives for posting ? …Just a random post. obviously of interest to the OP as he has responded this week

AutoHertz
BANNED

Employment offers and job seekers

Post by AutoHertz » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:07 pm

mulderpf wrote:Does your CV look any better than your forum post? When you apply for jobs, do you use the same language and style of writing as you did in your post?

Thanks dear for suggest. really i m impressed to this information.....

maverickstoned
Newly Registered

Post by maverickstoned » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:01 pm

First of all thanks for the advice. I have been applying to all the sectors but the requirement has become so specific, be it in design,oil and gas etc.
I have applied for the lowest level as well (electrician's mate), this is the lowest grade for electrician and also in manufacturing.I thing As i have experience closely matches with manufacturing and construction is the only reasons why i am concentration in these sectors but not limited to. The market has become so competetive that employer's are not even considering 5% deviation from what they require. I will keep on applying and someday things will happen my way. The only negative things is that you are unable to work in a sector for which you have worked for 8 yrs and then turn around and start from scratch into some administration or retail roles.The funny thing is i havent come across any constructioin roles that i was doing. In here its broken into different segment for eg:- supervisor and contract manager. :o In india i was everybody (supervisor/contract manager and billing :D .

maverickstoned
Newly Registered

Post by maverickstoned » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:05 pm

mulderpf wrote:What's with the sudden interest in this post? It's been almost three months since the OP posted his message.
Ur a gem mulderpf :D .

TanvirBD
Newly Registered

Post by TanvirBD » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:43 am

thank you all.. :lol: