ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Parents Travelling with me - Visit Visa or EEA Permit

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ruthie

Parents Travelling with me - Visit Visa or EEA Permit

Post by ruthie » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:45 am

I am currently living in Uk(citizen) and about to accept a job offer from Ireland soon. I want to bring my parents along with me, who is currently living with me in UK on visit visa. They are financially dependent on me (i've been sending back money, paying for their bill etc.), also living with me in the same household currently. My question is which visa is a better/easier option for them to enter Ireland.

I understand they can apply for a type d visa free of charge for 6 months right here from UK, then later a stamp 4(?) in Ireland? Also they can go back home fist and apply a visit visa from there and join me later in Ireland, in which way they should also be able to apply for a longer term visa according to the law. Can someone please tell me in the long term, which way is better/easier?

I am not familiar with the Ireland visa so might well miss something here, please don't hesitate to point out if anything. Thank you.

jerzy
Newly Registered

Post by jerzy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:40 pm

You can check if they can go under the Irish Short-stay Visa Waiver Programme http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/VWP%20In ... 111024.pdf

My wife got multi D visa for 4 months but even then her passport was stamped only for 30 days at the Dublin airport. The EU1 form after 2 weeks Stamp 4 for 6 months... you will see.

Watch out for the embassy because I'm pretty sure that they might require additional documents, tell you that your parents should apply in their country of residence (I'm not sure if they can require that), that they would send the application to Dublin and it would take 6-8 weeks and other. And then you should have arguments about your rights from Directive 2004/38/EC and/or use SOLVIT.

Or you can go to Belfast and take a train to Ireland and avoid argues with embassy and immigration officers at the airport.

ruthie

Post by ruthie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:28 am

jerzy wrote:You can check if they can go under the Irish Short-stay Visa Waiver Programme http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/VWP%20In ... 111024.pdf

My wife got multi D visa for 4 months but even then her passport was stamped only for 30 days at the Dublin airport. The EU1 form after 2 weeks Stamp 4 for 6 months... you will see.

Watch out for the embassy because I'm pretty sure that they might require additional documents, tell you that your parents should apply in their country of residence (I'm not sure if they can require that), that they would send the application to Dublin and it would take 6-8 weeks and other. And then you should have arguments about your rights from Directive 2004/38/EC and/or use SOLVIT.

Or you can go to Belfast and take a train to Ireland and avoid argues with embassy and immigration officers at the airport.
Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, all of what you say, did you actually see that happen to someone from EEA or are those all your experience? I don't want to be scared away but it seems to be that Ireland is not that EU-friendly regarding visa application?

adlexy

Post by adlexy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:12 pm

ruthie wrote:
jerzy wrote:You can check if they can go under the Irish Short-stay Visa Waiver Programme http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/VWP%20In ... 111024.pdf

Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, all of what you say, did you actually see that happen to someone from EEA or are those all your experience? I don't want to be scared away but it seems to be that Ireland is not that EU-friendly regarding visa application?
ruthie,

I will suggest as follows:

1. You need to come to Ireland first and take up the role.

There are a couple of issues which you need to tidy up before you begin the process and I will assume it will be the same everywhere (but the Irish is notably "challenging" :) )

1. I dont see how realistic it will be for you to make an entry visa application for your parents from the UK (They do not have a right of above there). The embassy will definitely point that out to you :) They will suggest that they make the application from their country of residence. And you cannot, as at yet exercise EUTR within the UK as you are British :) until you have done same in Ireland and back again.

2. However, you are a step in the right direction, based on the regular payments you made to them. Hopefully, you have good records and proof of all these :)

3. The "best" route, I hope is probably for you to make an application for them on the basis of dependency and that is where [2] will come in handy. It may have to be done from their country of residency where they have a right of above

You may want to review the whole Directive, especially articles 3(2a):

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 123:en:PDF

##However, you may also choose the Belfast route as advised above but the challenge is you need to brave it, as you all may be stopped for questioning by the police. The reality is, UNTIL you have fully settled in Ireland (started the job and registered as exercing the EU treaty) this action may be illegal especially for your parents - not sure though as they may be covered by the Free movement.##

However, after you have registered to confirm you are exercising EUTR, even if you are stopped, potentially, with all documentation with you, you will be able to argue it out and your parents CANNOT be deported.

The distinct advantage in the Belfast route is that - they will be in Ireland with less hastles (if not stopped) - and a car is probably better than the Train :). You can then make the application from Inside Ireland, wherein they will immediately have to give them permit to stay for the first 6months and you can then battle them with all the "dependency" proof you have to get their permit if they initially refused their application. The good thing is that while within the state, they cannot deport them.

All the best

ruthie

Post by ruthie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:39 pm

adlexy wrote: ruthie,

I will suggest as follows:

1. You need to come to Ireland first and take up the role.

There are a couple of issues which you need to tidy up before you begin the process and I will assume it will be the same everywhere (but the Irish is notably "challenging" :) )

1. I dont see how realistic it will be for you to make an entry visa application for your parents from the UK (They do not have a right of above there). The embassy will definitely point that out to you :) They will suggest that they make the application from their country of residence. And you cannot, as at yet exercise EUTR within the UK as you are British :) until you have done same in Ireland and back again.

2. However, you are a step in the right direction, based on the regular payments you made to them. Hopefully, you have good records and proof of all these :)

3. The "best" route, I hope is probably for you to make an application for them on the basis of dependency and that is where [2] will come in handy. It may have to be done from their country of residency where they have a right of above

You may want to review the whole Directive, especially articles 3(2a):

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 123:en:PDF

##However, you may also choose the Belfast route as advised above but the challenge is you need to brave it, as you all may be stopped for questioning by the police. The reality is, UNTIL you have fully settled in Ireland (started the job and registered as exercing the EU treaty) this action may be illegal especially for your parents - not sure though as they may be covered by the Free movement.##

However, after you have registered to confirm you are exercising EUTR, even if you are stopped, potentially, with all documentation with you, you will be able to argue it out and your parents CANNOT be deported.

The distinct advantage in the Belfast route is that - they will be in Ireland with less hastles (if not stopped) - and a car is probably better than the Train :). You can then make the application from Inside Ireland, wherein they will immediately have to give them permit to stay for the first 6months and you can then battle them with all the "dependency" proof you have to get their permit if they initially refused their application. The good thing is that while within the state, they cannot deport them.

All the best
Hi adlexy,

Thank you very much for these information. However I am not sure if it is right to say that they have to apply from their country of residence rather than UK. I am pretty sure I read from somewhere(Metock?) that a long term visa, or even a legal status, is not needed and they should be able to apply from the closest embassy for an EEA visa as long as they have all the proof. Do I not understand this correctly?

So confused. :cry:

jerzy
Newly Registered

Post by jerzy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:27 pm

ruthie wrote:Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, all of what you say, did you actually see that happen to someone from EEA or are those all your experience? I don't want to be scared away but it seems to be that Ireland is not that EU-friendly regarding visa application?
My wife is Russian. In embassy in Warsaw we needed to give sworn translation of Polish residence card (they said otherwise she would have to apply for a visa in Moscow), my passport with Russian visas as a proof that we are together for at least a year (married for 4 months then), letter of intent from my future employer (they called and check, otherwise they said it would take 6-8 weeks). I don't find it very friendly.

If you find a confirmation that it doesn't have to be the embassy in the country of residence, write it here please - I'm curious.

In general your parents should have no problem in the situation you describe. Practically they may experience some and explanations might not be enough then. My experience shows that IE authorities try to be as much unhelpful as they can and they change their behaviour only after ECJ says they're wrong.

BTW - I asked my friends and they saw no control on Northern Ireland - ROI border.