ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Passport

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

worldsalon
Newly Registered

Irish Passport

Post by worldsalon » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:42 pm

Looking for a bit of advice from all you knowledgeable gurus out there.

I am born and bred in Scotland however my father was born in Northern Ireland, as was my younger sister (apparantly my mother never got there in time with me lol !!).

I know they can obtain Irish passports.

My question is can I?

I work in the oil industry, and have worked all over the world, but in the last ten years have noticed a marked difference (for the worse) in travelling on an UK passport. To further complicate matters my wife is American, and she has been having real problems entering some countries.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.... :P

Many thanks...

komencanto
Newly Registered

Post by komencanto » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:38 pm

I think children of Irish citizens are automatically Irish citizens. But ask your local Irish embassy / consulate.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:38 pm

You are automatically an irish citizen. just fill in a passport application form its called APS 2 if you're resident outside Ireland. What you will require:

If born outside Ireland to a parent born on the island of Ireland:

* the form of your civil birth certificate which shows the names of your parents (the long form) and
* the long form civil birth certificate of your Irish born parent and, if applicable,
* your parents’ civil marriage certificate.

JAJ
Australia

Re: Irish Passport

Post by JAJ » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:40 pm

worldsalon wrote:Looking for a bit of advice from all you knowledgeable gurus out there.

I am born and bred in Scotland however my father was born in Northern Ireland, as was my younger sister (apparantly my mother never got there in time with me lol !!).

I know they can obtain Irish passports.

My question is can I?

I work in the oil industry, and have worked all over the world, but in the last ten years have noticed a marked difference (for the worse) in travelling on an UK passport. To further complicate matters my wife is American, and she has been having real problems entering some countries.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.... :P

Many thanks...
Yes you can. As someone else has noted, you just need to apply for an Irish passport.

If you have children, you can apply for them to be registered as Irish citizens by using the Foreign Birth Registration process.

Regarding your wife, she could have claimed Irish citizenship by marriage to you, if you were married before 30 November 2002. But the facility to submit applications of this type was closed on 29 November 2005.

Is she a British citizen and are you living in Northern Ireland?