ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Qusetion

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sweetpancakes
Newly Registered

Naturalisation Qusetion

Post by sweetpancakes » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Evening everybody,

My Mum is looking to apply for a British Passport. She entered the UK in 1984 and was given indefinite leave to remain, but has never applied for a British passport till date.

Now, the confusing part is that she's not sure which document she has lost, whether it's the Indefinite leave certificate or Naturalisation Certificate (if she ever had one). She can't remember which one she lost...

So far I have gathered from the UK BA website that to apply for a British passport she would need the Naturalisation document and as I understand it's quite a lengthy process and is pretty expensive £850...

I was just wondering if there is a way that I can check what status she currently holds or obtain another copy of the documents that she has lost? It would save alot of hassle and most importantly the fee for Naturalisation...

Really appreciate any help :)

zebra3

Re: Naturalisation Qusetion

Post by zebra3 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:07 pm

sweetpancakes wrote:Evening everybody,

My Mum is looking to apply for a British Passport. She entered the UK in 1984 and was given indefinite leave to remain, but has never applied for a British passport till date.

Now, the confusing part is that she's not sure which document she has lost, whether it's the Indefinite leave certificate or Naturalisation Certificate (if she ever had one). She can't remember which one she lost...

So far I have gathered from the UK BA website that to apply for a British passport she would need the Naturalisation document and as I understand it's quite a lengthy process and is pretty expensive £850...

I was just wondering if there is a way that I can check what status she currently holds or obtain another copy of the documents that she has lost? It would save alot of hassle and most importantly the fee for Naturalisation...

you can send for a SAR (subject access request) file from the home office. serach on this forum and you find the address and steps how to request it, it cost £10 the last time I applied for mine. good luck,

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:51 am

You need to have ILR before becoming British citizen so she either can't remember if she lost one (ILR) or lost both (ILR & naturalisation).

I'm not sure SAR will help with records from almost 30 years ago.

Did she travel out of the UK since '84? Has she got any stamp in the passport indicating her status?

If she is already British and applies for naturalisation, the HO will return the fee.

sweetpancakes
Newly Registered

Post by sweetpancakes » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:07 pm

Jambo wrote:You need to have ILR before becoming British citizen so she either can't remember if she lost one (ILR) or lost both (ILR & naturalisation).

I'm not sure SAR will help with records from almost 30 years ago.

Did she travel out of the UK since '84? Has she got any stamp in the passport indicating her status?

If she is already British and applies for naturalisation, the HO will return the fee.
Hi Jambo,

She has all her previous Passports, one of her old Passport has the indefinite leave stamped on them, is that itself the ILR? I thought the ILR is a seperte document?

Still need to find out if she is a british citizen or not though, need to check if she has previously had a Naturalisation certificate....

I'll check SAR, worth a try, any other alternatives?

Thanks for the input :)

sweetpancakes
Newly Registered

Re: Naturalisation Qusetion

Post by sweetpancakes » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:12 pm

zebra3 wrote:
sweetpancakes wrote:Evening everybody,

you can send for a SAR (subject access request) file from the home office. serach on this forum and you find the address and steps how to request it, it cost £10 the last time I applied for mine. good luck,
Thanks Zebra3, I'll check this tonight when I get home...