ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent for 3 yrs including 1 yr in ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

abinanthanb
Newly Registered

Dependent for 3 yrs including 1 yr in ILR

Post by abinanthanb » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi,

My wife has qualified to apply for British Citizenship.

I have been living in the UK as a dependent to my spouse (2 years in Tier1 & 1 year in ILR). Can I apply for British Citizenship along with her application? Or do I have to wait for her to get her Passport?

I tried to read through the guidelines, but its not clear.

Thanks in advance.

cricinfo

Re: Dependent for 3 yrs including 1 yr in ILR

Post by cricinfo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:03 pm

abinanthanb wrote:Hi,

My wife has qualified to apply for British Citizenship.

I have been living in the UK as a dependent to my spouse (2 years in Tier1 & 1 year in ILR). Can I apply for British Citizenship along with her application? Or do I have to wait for her to get her Passport?

I tried to read through the guidelines, but its not clear.

Thanks in advance.
You can not apply with her as she is not British yet so 3 years rule doesn't apply as yet. Once she gets her approval and have her ceremony then you can apply as British spouse.

abinanthanb
Newly Registered

Post by abinanthanb » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:36 pm

Thanks for the reply Cricinfo.

Just for info... I read in one of the websites that the spouse of a british citizen or settled person (i guess this means ILR holder) is eligible for naturalisation via 3 years residency route. But its not mentioned in home office website. I have written to home office regading this and waiting for their response.
-------------------------------
Could you tell me if I qualify for the naturalisation via 6 years route?

Mar 2006 to Feb 2008 = Work permit (2 weeks outside UK)
Mar 2008 to July 2008 = No UK visa (5 months outside UK)
Aug 2008 to Feb 2009 = HSMP Dependent (1 month outside UK)
Mar 2009 to Jan 2011 = Tier1 Dependent (2 months outside UK)
Feb 2011 to Feb 2012 = ILR dependent (1 month outside UK)

Also 1 more question. Is there any additional cost for applying for naturalisation via the Nationality Checking Service?

Thanks again for the help.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:54 pm

abinanthanb wrote: But its not mentioned in home office website.
See HO website - Spouse requirements. This is only for spouse of BC not for settled person.
Could you tell me if I qualify for the naturalisation via 6 years route?
The 5 months outside UK with no visa doesn't affect your eligibility. You need to meet the requirements (either the standard or the spouse ones if married to BC).
Also 1 more question. Is there any additional cost for applying for naturalisation via the Nationality Checking Service?
Yes. The fee depends on the council but it is in the range of £20-£50.

abinanthanb
Newly Registered

Post by abinanthanb » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks Jambo for the reply.

lchhabra
Newly Registered

Post by lchhabra » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi abinanthanb,

Just wanted to check what did you hear on this when you checked with UKBA as per your post?

I have lived with my husband for 3 years + 1 year ILR. He has lived in UK for 5 years + 1 year ILR, so he is eligible for citizenship.

As there is nothing specifically mentioned for Tier1 dependants, am I eligible with 3 year + 1 year ILR for citizenship?

Logically, if my husband gets a citizenship in next 2-3 months, I'll be anyways eligible under 3 years married to a citizen criteria, so I think we can apply now together??

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

zee313

Post by zee313 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:04 am

Iv just been reading this thread and have a question please if someone could help. or reconfirm.
I obtained ILR from my mother before i turned 18 as a dependant. I came to uk and have been living here for 4 years now, I just got married to a BC, so would i be eligible to apply for naturalization as iv been settled here for 4 years now and married to a BC just last month.
Please shed some light