ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ilr success with biometric

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

babysofea

Ilr success with biometric

Post by babysofea » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi All,
I have been successful in Ilr application for me and my family through peo solihull (read my post for full story) Thank you for all the support.

I receive the settlement biometric card today and it has an expiry date which is 10-03-2022. What happens in 10 years, do I have to apply again? Also may I ask if anyone who has vignette ilr, does this has an expiry date on it too?

Would appreciate if seniors or moderators could comment.
Many thanks.

Smam

Post by Smam » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 pm

Hi

First of heartiest congratulations to you and to your family for your great success.

You dont have to apply for an ILR again as I believe that ILR means "Indefinite Leave to Remain"

Its just that you have to renew your BRP card every 10 years.

The Vignette hasn't got any expiry date on it on the passport. But the problem is that if its on your passport you have to keep your that passport book attached all the time to your most updated one.

Take the example of British Driving License you have to renew your card part of your license every 7 or I believe 8 years. So does the British Passport.

Well lets face it in this way that you got it this time and God Forbid if there'll be any such rule to get it again you'll get it again as well.

I Pray and I wish for every one that no one has to go through that most painfull experience of going through that process of getting an ILR again once you got it.

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi babysofea; please can you share the link to your experience with PEO Solihull.

rdrp
Newly Registered

Re: Ilr success with biometric

Post by rdrp » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:17 pm

babysofea wrote:Hi All,
I have been successful in Ilr application for me and my family through peo solihull (read my post for full story) Thank you for all the support.

I receive the settlement biometric card today and it has an expiry date which is 10-03-2022. What happens in 10 years, do I have to apply again? Also may I ask if anyone who has vignette ilr, does this has an expiry date on it too?

Would appreciate if seniors or moderators could comment.
Many thanks.
As per the explanatory note on biometric residence permits, the expiry date on the BRP is the expiry date of all entitlements that the card holds. So, my feeling is that the card has been issued incorrectly (may be teething issue in Home office in issuing ILR in BRP format) and needs to be changed. I also think UKBA could have a hidden agenda of making us go thru the entire process again after 10 years and pay their hefty fees (for anyone that chooses not to take the citizenship route before that).

If we take the Driving Licence for instance, it has two expiry dates - the licence expiry date (which expires on 70th birthday of card holder) and the card expiry date (which expires on the 10th anniversary of the first photo card issue date). When the licence expires, the holder needs to go thru the detailed DVLA test procedure to get a new license. When the card expires, its just a matter of sending just the photograph to dvla for renewal.

Similarly, i guess the ILR issued in BRP format should have two dates - the visa expiry date (should be indefinite) and the card expiry date (which can be 10 years or something).

I think we should bring this to the attention of DVLA and have this changed right at the beginning.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:46 pm

the permit says 'settlement' or 'indefinite leave to remain' this confirms the holder's entitlement to remain here indefinitely. The fact that the permit expires after 10 years does not mean that the person's entitlements are lost after 10 years and that a further ILR application will need to be made again. The card will just need to be renewed.

See BRP information leaflet in particular page 2
Valid until – the date the permit expires. This date is at the end of the time the holder is allowed to stay; or five or 10 years if the holder has been given permission to settle in the United Kingdom (known as indefinite leave to remain)

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:14 pm

I would agree with Greenie:

I don’t think so it’s a mistake and Home Office is issuing 10 years cards on purpose.

Just like driving licence, ILR card with 10 years validly also makes sense as they don’t want you to carry the same card for longer than 10 years (as your facial features can significantly change in 10 years time and it makes sense to renew the card with latest photo every ten years).

I am sure there would be a small fee like £50 to get the ILR card renewed every 10 years with your latest photo on it.

As Greenie suggested, it has no relation to the settlement and the holder’s entitlement would always be indefinite leave to remain.

rdrp
Newly Registered

Post by rdrp » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Greenie wrote:the permit says 'settlement' or 'indefinite leave to remain' this confirms the holder's entitlement to remain here indefinitely. The fact that the permit expires after 10 years does not mean that the person's entitlements are lost after 10 years and that a further ILR application will need to be made again. The card will just need to be renewed.

See BRP information leaflet in particular page 2
Valid until – the date the permit expires. This date is at the end of the time the holder is allowed to stay; or five or 10 years if the holder has been given permission to settle in the United Kingdom (known as indefinite leave to remain)
I just dont know how this will get interpreted within the world of the 'Employers'/Mortgage lenders. Currently employers insist on a 1 year minimum left from the visa expiry date to be considered for any role - please note that BRP for other visa categories has the same field as the expiry of the person's legal stay in the UK. I hope that employers/mortgage lenders dont apply the same yardstick to everyone and insist on having 1 year left on that expiry date field on BRP for ILR holders.

Currently on any day, i can send a driving license to DVLA with a photograph and request for a new photocard license. I will get a brand new photocard license with a new 10 years expiry date (and a minimum fee of 30 pounds).

If UKBA can confirm that similar procedure would apply for getting a BRP ILR renewed for fresh 10 years, then there are no issues as such. I hope there are no restrictions like you can only apply 3 months before expiry, etc.

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Rdrp; I am sure UKBA will allow people to get a new card even after 8 years (as long as you pay appropriate fee and return the old card).

But we can’t be 100% sure and will have to wait until we hear something through an official UKBA guideline.

Smam

Post by Smam » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi

To the best of my understanding and the examples I have seen in the recent years all of my friends who have got ILR they received a letter from the HO clearly states that they have granted the ILR so I dont really care about the BRP card if it expires in 10 years or what ever.

Even they are not issuing the stickers (Vignette) on the passports but they are definitely issuing some kind of documents along with the BRP card and that document must state that the person has got an ILR.

Babysofea have you received any letter from the HO stating that you got the ILR now and now you are free to come in to UK any time and you are free to work any where I am just giving you the example and sharing the contents of the letter from my memory to what I have seen the letter with my friends who have recently got their ILRs just in the last 2 years or so.

Many thanks.

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:55 pm

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

I said this was going to happen all along! UKBA SHOULD be issuing ILR holders with BRP's that DO NOT have any time limit! IT SHOULD be up to ILR holders to renew their BRP's whenever they think they should. No one will be stupid enough to keep a BRP with a photo that no longer looks credible.

This stupid new idea of issuing Indefinite Leave to Remain with expiry dates on them is indeed very STUPID!!!!! It must be stopped!!!!

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:34 pm

hsmpengineer wrote:http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

I said this was going to happen all along! UKBA SHOULD be issuing ILR holders with BRP's that DO NOT have any time limit! IT SHOULD be up to ILR holders to renew their BRP's whenever they think they should. No one will be stupid enough to keep a BRP with a photo that no longer looks credible.

This stupid new idea of issuing Indefinite Leave to Remain with expiry dates on them is indeed very STUPID!!!!! It must be stopped!!!!
while we are at it - should we tell IPS to start issuing indefinite passports too? After all, no one would be stupid enough to keep a passport with a photo that no longer looks like them. I think I might start worrying that no one will believe I am British once my passport expires..

rdrp
Newly Registered

Post by rdrp » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Greenie wrote:
hsmpengineer wrote:http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

while we are at it - should we tell IPS to start issuing indefinite passports too? After all, no one would be stupid enough to keep a passport with a photo that no longer looks like them. I think I might start worrying that no one will believe I am British once my passport expires..
The actual issue here is the same field on the BRP is used as end of stay date for visa holders and as card expiry date for ilr holders. This will sure cause confusion amongst employers and mortgage lenders. If card renewal is the intention then both the visa expiry date (indefinite) and the card expiry date should be printed on the card (just like the drivers license)

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Save the sarcasm greenie. UKBA after granting INDEFINITE LEAVE TO REMAIN should issue BRP's (or whatever other item they like for that matter) that clearly states such. Its not rocket science is it?

It SHOULD state on the card:

or

That is the clarity people (ILR holders, employers, Foreign Embassy Staff, Bank Officials etc) want at this stage, and this poxy 'ID card' certainly DOES NOT provide that clarity.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:02 pm

hsmpengineer wrote:Save the sarcasm greenie. UKBA after granting INDEFINITE LEAVE TO REMAIN should issue BRP's (or whatever other item they like for that matter) that clearly states such. Its not rocket science is it?

It SHOULD state on the card:

or

That is the clarity people (ILR holders, employers, Foreign Embassy Staff, Bank Officials etc) want at this stage, and this poxy 'ID card' certainly DOES NOT provide that clarity.

Please can someone clarify who has been granted ILR on a BRP - does the BRP state that you have indefinite leave to remain and/or settlement?

babysofea

Post by babysofea » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:43 pm

Thank you for your well wishes Smam.

Linkers : Its here http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

Please can someone clarify who has been granted ILR on a BRP - does the BRP state that you have indefinite leave to remain and/or settlement?
Greenie: My ILR BRP card says: RESIDENCE PERMIT on the top of the card.
Name: XXXXXXX
Valid Until: 01-03-2022
Place and date of issue: UK 01-03-2012
Type of permit: SETTLEMENT
Remarks: INDEFINITE LEAVE TO REMAIN
C2XXXXXXXXR

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Right - so hsmpengineer and others who are so concerned about the expiry date on the BRP for a person with ILR, given that the BRP says both 'settlement' and 'indefinite leave to remain' do you now agree that the fact that the card expires it just the same as the fact that a driving licence photo card expires. It is not the person's leave that expires, but the card.

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:23 pm

Thats perfect! Clarity is now achieved with those beautiful words 'indefinite' and 'settlement' both conspicously present on the lovely BRP (not poxy) card! haha Thanks guys :)

Smam

Post by Smam » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:37 pm

babysofea wrote:Thank you for your well wishes Smam.

C2XXXXXXXXR
Hi babysofea,

Heartiest congratulations once again.

I believe that your querry is resolved now. Thanks alot for starting this thread on the forum and thank you very much for sharing all of your knowledge with us.

Wishing you all the best for the rest of your life. Do also advice you to get the British Nationality and then finally the British Passport and just get it all out of the way once and for all.

Congratulations once again.

rdrp
Newly Registered

Post by rdrp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:54 pm

C2XXXXXXXXR
Babysofea, one final question. What does it say on the back of the card? I am particularly interested to know what 'remarks' column at the back says.

Also, did you get a covering letter stating that you have been granted ilr and you are no longer subject to immigration restrictions?

gore
Newly Registered

Post by gore » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:20 am

C2XXXXXXXXR
Last week I also got my ILR BRP and which is valid untill 06-03-2022.
However my son (age: 3 years) got ILR BRP valid till 2017 (only for 5 Years);
When I clarify this with the case worker they explain me that SETTLEMENT\ ILR it self is for INDEFINITE period but for BRP card, as child face changes after 5 years so initially they issued only for 5 yrs and there after I can renew for new BRP card with updated pic and other informations.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:33 pm

they will take the child's fingerprints when you rewew the card in 5 years time as he will be over 6 years by then.

ccc
Newly Registered

Post by ccc » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:36 pm

Greenie wrote:they will take the child's fingerprints when you rewew the card in 5 years time as he will be over 6 years by then.
So in conclusion, it means,

Indefinite Leave to Remain status will be forever,
but just need to renew the card every 10 years, not the whole application process.