ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Going to Malta With Ryan air as EEA Family Member?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mick5

Going to Malta With Ryan air as EEA Family Member?

Post by mick5 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi We just booked our holidays to Malta with Ryan air in May 2012 i have EEA Family Member Resident Card expiring 2017 going with My EU partner.
I was reading so many bad experience flying with Ryan Air, They wont let you board un less you have visa on your passport. I called Malta embassy to conform they told me i do not need visa.what shall i do if Ryan air staff stop me to board?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:52 pm

Show them your RC. That is all they need.

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: Going to Malta With Ryan air as EEA Family Member?

Post by ca.funke » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:13 pm

mick5 wrote:...EEA Family Member Resident Card...going with My EU partner...Malta
Same question was discussed >>here<<.

You may want to print >>this letter<< from the Maltese Embassy in Dublin.

Further general info on travelling without visa >>here<<.

Enjoy Malta!!!!

Rgds, Christian

mick5

Post by mick5 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Thanks for you replies i already conformed from Malta embassy in London, My question is airline staff doesn't allow you to travel even you have valid RC. and we are not married yet in that case what documents shall i keep with me to show airline. We have joint account only

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:31 pm

The fact that you have the EEA-card shows that the UK accepts you as an EEA family member. Take anything that shows you have this relation (as you can´t prove it just by a same name)...

For the airline staff - take above letter or better try to get the same "real" letter from them yourself.

It should work, although it´s never a guarantee.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:34 pm

The UK residence card is all you need.

To avoid ignorant airline checkers...

1. get email from the Maltese embassy or any information on their website.
2. Visit the following, put all your details in and print the result. It prints with an IATA logo and gives the correct information (sort of)

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/home.htm

fysicus
Netherlands

Re: Going to Malta With Ryan air as EEA Family Member?

Post by fysicus » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:24 pm

mick5 wrote:what shall i do if Ryan air staff stop me to board?
You will sit at home and just repeat writing this single line:
How could I ever be so stupid to book with RyanAir?
I will allow you to stop when you reach a million lines or when the time planned for your holiday has elapsed, whichever is the sooner.

Alborz
Newly Registered

Post by Alborz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi,

I am sorry I cannot help with your Ryanair query but I wondered how obtained your EEA Residence Card? Is it by completing the EEA2 Form?

I am trying to find out if my wife who is a non EEU national and is currently on 27months spouse visa before she can obtain her ILR in the UK, can travel to certain EU countries with a EEA residence card whilst accompanied by myself (Bristish national) without obtaining a visa?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 pm

Alborz wrote:Hi,

I am sorry I cannot help with your Ryanair query but I wondered how obtained your EEA Residence Card? Is it by completing the EEA2 Form?

I am trying to find out if my wife who is a non EEU national and is currently on 27months spouse visa before she can obtain her ILR in the UK, can travel to certain EU countries with a EEA residence card whilst accompanied by myself (Bristish national) without obtaining a visa?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice
Unfortunately not. Your wife will be on a UK domestic immigration category. She cannot get said card. She will however be able to apply for a free visa for other EU/EEA states if she travels with you.

Alborz
Newly Registered

Post by Alborz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Thanks for your help.

Can I ask what you mean by the UK domestic immigration category and what sets that apart from other categories? Is it because she has a UK spouse visa?

Also can you pls let me know what you mean by a "free visa"? Do you mean when applying for a visa she doesn't have to pay for any fees??

Thanks

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:04 pm

Alborz wrote:...UK domestic immigration...
...other categories? Is it because she has a UK spouse visa?
If there is any kind of EU-connection, the UK has to treat immigration in a way that is goverend by the EU (Directive 2004/38/EC).

The sense of it all is to encourage EU-citizens to move and travel freely throughout the EU, making sure any possible non-EU partner will not be a burden in the process of moving/travelling around.

So if any EU-national moves to the UK with his non-EU spouse, this is facilitated through cited European set of rules.

If a UK-citizen wants to move back to the UK from another EU-country with a non-EU spouse, this is equally goverend by the same rules, since the EU wants to ensure that every EU citizen can move back home. (This is all slightly simplified, but gives the big picture)

In contrast, if a foreigner wants to join a UK-citizen living in the UK, this will be dealt with by national UK-rules, which are more restrictive than the EU rules.

I hope this clarifies the 2 categories?

Alborz wrote:"free visa"?
As you assume, it simply means "free of charge".

Rgds, Christian