ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Some Questions regarding PSW to Tier 2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

6pandn21
Nepal

Some Questions regarding PSW to Tier 2

Post by 6pandn21 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi there,

I am currently in a PSW which ends in February 2013. I am also working at a job for about 6 month and a friend of mine said he might be able to offer a job but the starting salary would be about 16-18k as it is a junior role. Looking at the rules, I am slightly confused about these points.

If I start in the new company and work there for six months before applying, do I still need to have the salary over 20k? I did the points based calculator and I was not asked about salary when switching from PSW to Tier2 in the same company and still had enough points.

Now regarding the question about the degree, it asks, "Are you applying within 12 months of the date of the award of your qualification or within 12 months of completing a UK recognised foundation programme as a postgraduate doctor or dentist?" I did my undergrad almost 2 years ago but will be getting my postgrad around November. But as my PSW was based on my undergrad, I am thinking my postgrad won't count towards it?

If anyone would clarify me on this, I would be very grateful.

madona587
Member of Standing

Post by madona587 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:45 pm

To switch from PSW to TIER2 you must have a job from an employer who is registered with home office (License)

You must be paid according to SOC (code of practise), It has lots of job titles and you must pick a job title based on your job description and check the required salary for that job title.

eg: Wed designer job title must be paid 26K year according to SOC.

20K is a minimum but most of the job tiles are much more higher.

Take a look at the SOC and look for your job title which suits you best and you can see your required salary.

Only perk of working for your company for the last 6 months before you apply is that you are exempted from RLMT.

As for the degree its irrelevant. You just have to satisfy English requirement. You can check the points calculator and see if your Bsc or Msc will gain you the necessary points.

It seems you haven't read the policy guidance as you don't seem to know the basics. Find it and read it first.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on :)

6pandn21
Nepal

Thank you

Post by 6pandn21 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi madona587,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and you are indeed correct to say I have not read the policy guidelines. Just had general idea and used the points calculator.

The only question I can ask at the moment is about the RLMT. If I apply for a job and am selected amongst the other people (who could be British Nationals) in a company that does not have Sponsor licence and the salary fulfills the SOC requirement, will the company then be able to apply for a licence and thus provide me with a sponsorship letter? The reason I asked is the quote I read almost at the begining of the guideline of the policy guideline which states this, "You can only have a job offer if you will not be
displacing a suitable settled worker". It sounds as if even if I am selected as there were other 'suitable' candidates for the job, I will still not be able to apply.

Thank you very much for your time again.