ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Prescription

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

weiser

Prescription

Post by weiser » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:40 am

Hi

My wife recently received her indefinite leave to remain.

She is unemployed. She currently is not receiving any benefits ie JSA

As she is not working or claiming JSA, does this mean she will need to pay for her medication?

If she was receiving JSA then her medication would be free.

Is there an option on the back of the prescription which she can ticket to receive free medication?

Thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru

Re: Prescription

Post by Greenie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:00 am

weiser wrote:Hi

My wife recently received her indefinite leave to remain.

She is unemployed. She currently is not receiving any benefits ie JSA

As she is not working or claiming JSA, does this mean she will need to pay for her medication?

If she was receiving JSA then her medication would be free.

Is there an option on the back of the prescription which she can ticket to receive free medication?

Thanks
are you working?

weiser

Post by weiser » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:50 pm

Yes, I am working

Just seems unfair as if she starts applying for JSA she will be entitled but if she does not apply then she is not entitled.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:47 pm

weiser wrote:Yes, I am working

Just seems unfair as if she starts applying for JSA she will be entitled but if she does not apply then she is not entitled.

she will not be entitled to income based JSA anyway if you are working and earning more than £105.95 per week. She may be entitled to contribution based JSA if she is actively seeking work and has made sufficient NI contributions, however this does not entitle a person to free prescriptions.
See http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcost ... costs.aspx

weiser

Post by weiser » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:04 am

Thanks for the replies much appreciated - guess we have to pay for her prescriptions then