ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ELTS For HSMP Should be General or Acadamic ???

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

t4tahir
Newly Registered

ELTS For HSMP Should be General or Acadamic ???

Post by t4tahir » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:15 pm

Hi

I have My HSMP Extension Due in March 2007, I have read the New FLR form for HSMP and it shows that I need to gain 75 points for the extension of HSMP, I have a confusion of IELTS test requirement, IELTS test has two types one is (Academic) and second is (General Training) normally General Training is required for Immigration purpose (like Canada or Australia), can you please confirm which IELTS test I should give (Academic or General Training)

first2last4

Post by first2last4 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:21 pm

Tahir,

you should use the search facility before flooding the post with new question.
This has already been answered

I repeat use the search button and type 'IELTS'
Knowledge which is concealed is lost -Hadith

simar

Post by simar » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:27 pm

Just for fresh benefit for who all have to go thorugh IELTS while going for extention,Guys please read my exprince in going thorugh this test
hope that will help & cheers
>>

TOFEL is more related to grammatical mistakes checks in written & spoken English I guess. While the General IELTS test emphasis to test how well a person can interact in western world. How much he can understand a western accent spoken person. His presence of mind is tested in reading section. & later on his thoughts on recent controversy is tested in writing & speaking

HIGHEST possible band in IELTS is 9.

1> Listening section: Emphasis is on one can understand as what if 4 people taking in western English speaking accent are speaking. Since it is pure objective type paper. So scoring can be as high as 9
2> Reading: Again, presence of mind is tested thoroughly in this test. What seems written is not meant. One have to understand written para & related questions very carefully. Again a objective test. So points can be go high as 9. Mind it. Most people can score up to 6 easily. It is reaching upper band that requires years of reading experience
3> Writing: One is asked to write one letter & one essay on a typical problem related to child care, smoking ban or any controversy. One has to put quality words & try to explain his thoughts with examples. Good handwriting helps in raising the band more. Since it is subjective marking ,scoring high on this in range of 8-9 is not so easy
4> Speaking:: Again a subjective marking. Speaking fluently is just one of the pre- conditions to get pass 6 band. It is quality of reasoning that one will gives, for the questions asked by the interviewer that counts for scoring above 6 band. I was sure to score 8 band in this section. But in particular question, lady question me do not like my answer. Her face expression tells so .. I was sure to not being able to pass 7 band (require for Canada) But thanks gods she gave me 7 band.

Generally people after preparation touches 6 or 6.5 band ( enough for Australia). It passing, reaching 8 band that require persons whole personality to come out. But then we all claim ourselves high skill. So should not be problem for us

I guess enough of IETLS fresh course from my side. Hope we guys do not have to go through it -)

first2last4

Post by first2last4 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:08 pm

simar,

Thanks for sharing the information.
What is someone do not achieve band 6 in any 1 of those section. How soon can 1 reappear for IELTS. It is 3 months time or so....

simar

Post by simar » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:17 pm

first2last4,
Thier are mainly two agencies in india that used to conduct this test 1> british council 2> IDP Australia as per my exprince in india.

Try get time from one of them. It is better if you take test in home country as u are likly to score better in atleast speaking & writing section.
Since your ideas will match more with the cultural thoughts of your home country testers.
But anycase scoring 6 band should not be difficult in britian too. It is after band 6 that the test becomes tuff.

first2last4

Post by first2last4 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:30 pm

I plan for a holiday in India in couple of months probably will schedule it then :)

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:20 pm

You do not need to go to India just to take IELTS in the UK many universities are IELTS test centre. in many other countries as well.

Pantaiema
first2last4 wrote:I plan for a holiday in India in couple of months probably will schedule it then :)

John

Post by John » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:48 pm

Pantaiema, that is indeed so. My wife took her IELTS test here in Birmingham, at Aston University. And no doubt there are lots of other places around the UK where the test can be taken.
John

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:53 pm

Yes John
Indeed, many of my collegues took IELTS test at a univeristy in the UK.

we could see the list of licensed IETLS centre in the following list.
http://www.ielts.org/default.aspx it is available in almost every country.

In the UK there sare almost available in every big city.

Pantaiema
John wrote:Pantaiema, that is indeed so. My wife took her IELTS test here in Birmingham, at Aston University. And no doubt there are lots of other places around the UK where the test can be taken.

t4tahir
Newly Registered

IELTS Testing Center In London Info

Post by t4tahir » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:16 pm

Hi Guys might be it is usefull for you

There are 6 IELTS centres in London

IELTS Administrator Eurocentres Lee Green 21 Meadowcourt Road London SE3 9EU United Kingdom Tel: 020 8297 1488 Fax: 020 8318 9057 Email: lee-info@eurocentres.com WWW: http://www.eurocentres.com/

The IELTS Administrator Middlesex University The Burroughs Hendon London NW4 4BT North London United Kingdom Tel: 020 8411 5294 Fax: 020 8411 5294 WWW: http://www.ilrs.mdx.ac.uk/ielts

IELTS Administrator Southwark College The Cut London SE1 8LE United Kingdom Tel: 020 7815 1608 Fax: 020 7261 1301 Email: ielts@southwark.ac.uk WWW: http://www.southwark.ac.uk

IELTS Test Centre
University of Westminster
Room 254
309 Regent Street
London W1B 2UW
Tel: +44 (0)20 7911 5000/ask for IELTS Testing Fax: +44 (0)20 7915 5492 Email: ielts@wmin.ac.uk WWW: http://www.wmin.ac.uk/ielts

IELTS Administrator
International House London 106 Piccadilly London W1J 7NL Tel: 44 20 7518 6909 Fax: 44 20 7518 6910 Email: ielts@ihlondon.co.uk Web: http://www.ihlondon.com/ielts

IELTS Administrator SOAS University of London 24 Russell Square London WC1H 0XG Tel: 44 20 7898 4842 Fax: 44 20 7898 4809 Email: ielts@soas.ac.uk Web: www.soas.ac.uk/ifcels