ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Needs help from someone who know about student rules

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

ILR1980
Pakistan

Needs help from someone who know about student rules

Post by ILR1980 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:15 am

Hello everyone,

I am currently on Tier1 (PSW) visa and i want to switch into Tier 4(student) within UK. I need to clear many things here because of confusions of changes in student visa.

1) I got Tier1(PSW) after doing my MBA. Can i take admission in ACCA course which is below degree level as i am switching from tier 1 to tier 4?

2) How many hours i can work if i take admission in ACCA at private college with highly trusted ratings?

3) Can my wife also switch from psw dependent visa to student dependent ?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Needs help from someone who know about student rules

Post by Greenie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:06 pm

modern_newton wrote:Hello everyone,

I am currently on Tier1 (PSW) visa and i want to switch into Tier 4(student) within UK. I need to clear many things here because of confusions of changes in student visa.

1) I got Tier1(PSW) after doing my MBA. Can i take admission in ACCA course which is below degree level as i am switching from tier 1 to tier 4?

2) How many hours i can work if i take admission in ACCA at private college with highly trusted ratings?

3) Can my wife also switch from psw dependent visa to student dependent ?

Thanks in advance for your help :)
1) Only if your tier 4 sponsor can justify how you are making academic progress by studying a course below degree level after studying an MBA

2) None unless the college is an HEI

3) Not unless you are studying a postgraduate course of at least 12 months duration at an HEI or publicly funded FE college.
Last edited by Greenie on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:48 pm

^ Thanks dude for your reply. I have seen that you are giving great advices to peoples here.

are academic progress rule same for those who switch from PSW to student and those who apply for extension of tier 4 leave?

secondly MBA is academic qualification while ACCA is a professional qualification. Is not that make sense to get professional degree after getting academic as you get exemption of few papers if you go for ACCA after MBA?

So if my college write on CAS that i am making academic progress..will that be enough for them to grant me a visa?

Thanks

Deviser

Post by Deviser » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:04 am

Its not easy as you are thinking. I think first your college will assess your academic progression and if the provide you CAS than UKBA will assess the college assessement for academic progression.

Further I think, according to NARIC and NQF Level, ACCA and MBA both are level 7 qualification and equal as Masters degree.

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 pm

I don't think they will treat anything except PHD as academic progression after MBA. It looks like you want to get course to stay here and work. I think UKBA must be really stupid to continue to allow to study on accountant courses for ages to obtain legal stay...

I'm sorry, but what sort of MBA is that, that you can't find decent job after it?

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:32 pm

And you had 2 years on PSW to find a job... after MBA degree...

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:19 am

Deviser wrote:Its not easy as you are thinking. I think first your college will assess your academic progression and if the provide you CAS than UKBA will assess the college assessement for academic progression.

Further I think, according to NARIC and NQF Level, ACCA and MBA both are level 7 qualification and equal as Masters degree.
You are right that ACCA and MBA are both level 7 Qualification and according to my college advisor you can take admission in same or higher level if its complement to your previous studies. I am not sure if she has right judgement of this academic progress rule of tier 4.

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:34 am

JohnM wrote:I don't think they will treat anything except PHD as academic progression after MBA. It looks like you want to get course to stay here and work. I think UKBA must be really stupid to continue to allow to study on accountant courses for ages to obtain legal stay...

I'm sorry, but what sort of MBA is that, that you can't find decent job after it?
I think you are not getting the difference between professional and academic qualification. MBA and ACCA might be level 7 courses but ACCA is professional course much higher than MBA because it takes many years of education and work experiences to become certified accountant and same is the case with other professional degrees i.e MBBS(bachelor of medicine) and LLB(bachelor of law).

You said i wish to stay here for work . I think you don't know that you are not allowed to work if you are taking admission in ACCA course in any private college.

I did MBA(general) and i could not find decent MBA level job because i was without British passport and work experience. If you think all international students with MBA degrees can get decent jobs easily then you don't know anything about ground realities. Few employers give you job just because of your degrees and that's the reason i want to go for professional qualification as you have more chances of getting decent job with professional degree rather than academic degree.

Yes MPhil or Ph.D. might consider academic progress after MBA if we talk about academic qualification but we are talking about professional qualification. You only get exemption of few papers when you go for ACCA after MBA which mean Professional ACCA is much higher than ACCA.

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:06 am

Well, you seem to be so certain, why use this forum at all.

Good luck to you then. :D