ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Civilians take over immigration officer roles

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Southern_Sky

Civilians take over immigration officer roles

Post by Southern_Sky » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:24 pm

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne ... 34424.html

Gardaí working as immigration officers are to be replaced by civilians in a new pilot project to be launched at Dublin Airport this month.

New figures from the Department of Justice indicate that year on year the number of asylum applications dropped by around a third from 2010 to 2011.

At its peak 10 years ago, over 11,500 people sought asylum in Ireland, while last year the figure had dropped to 1,250.

However around 4,000 people were deported from the State last year; mostly from Nigeria, South Africa, Pakistan, Moldova and Georgia.

The vast majority were refused entry at the country's ports and airports.

Today Justice Minister Alan Shatter said significant immigration reforms are on the cards for 2012.

nightowl
Newly Registered

Post by nightowl » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:42 pm

Well, let's just hope that Minister Shatter also examines the way that the 'civilian' GNIB staff treat people... my experiences so far have been that they are rude, abrasive and unhelpful.

Furthermore, a lot of them I've encountered lack a thorough understanding of the relevant legal instruments and give you learned off defensive answers. I bet there is an internal dept memo somewhere... 'immigration for dummies!'

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: Civilians take over immigration officer roles

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:40 am

Southern_Sky wrote:http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne ... 34424.html

Gardaí working as immigration officers are to be replaced by civilians in a new pilot project to be launched at Dublin Airport this month.

New figures from the Department of Justice indicate that year on year the number of asylum applications dropped by around a third from 2010 to 2011.

At its peak 10 years ago, over 11,500 people sought asylum in Ireland, while last year the figure had dropped to 1,250.

However around 4,000 people were deported from the State last year; mostly from Nigeria, South Africa, Pakistan, Moldova and Georgia.

The vast majority were refused entry at the country's ports and airports.

Today Justice Minister Alan Shatter said significant immigration reforms are on the cards for 2012.
"the vast majority were refused entry ....."

That figures also includes those who had come into the country 1-5 years ago and failed in subsequent applications such as leave to remain etc.

No doubt , as per usual, the paper gets their facts arse ways.

flatpack

Post by flatpack » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:07 am

i wonder how often 'immigration for dummies!' get updated with irrelevant stuff

nightowl wrote: I bet there is an internal dept memo somewhere... 'immigration for dummies!'

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:45 pm

flatpack wrote:i wonder how often 'immigration for dummies!' get updated with irrelevant stuff

nightowl wrote: I bet there is an internal dept memo somewhere... 'immigration for dummies!'
With the exception of cases actually involving EU law, and if these Non EU people are NOT applying for asylum, how can the refusals being wrong? Where you there when people were refused?

It appears to me, bearing in mind, people can go to court (I am asking you to take aside EU law cases for one second and asylum), maybe the immigration officers were correct or where entitled to form the opinion that they did. Maybe it was the immigrant who needed the book?

What sort of things should you look out for so? The legislation (again, put EU law aside - and concentrate on non eu citizens trying to come in on domestic laws) give the immigration officer alot of leeway. There is a reason for this.

What kind of reasons have people being refused entry in the past? What do you mean by irrelevant stuff? Outside of the EU law rules, maybe what you thought was irrelevant was a matter that an immigration officer was legally entitled to consider as relevant? (that is a question and not a comment or view - I would like to get your view)

Back on topic, it is good to see that the Gardaí can now be put to better use. Any arrests needed etc (powers of cops) can still be enforced as Garda stations are nearby. I hope it gets rid of the nonsense of the €20 a day or so paid out in allowances to Gardaí for their lunch (expensive taste no? No such thing as a packed lunch like every other pleb?)

Don't expect the civilians to be much better in the charm department though. One hopes however, that they have more luck in dealing with false passports/id and the like than the Gardaí.

You thought the cops were bad here (and many are) wait until you go to America for all that security stuff

Tandor

Post by Tandor » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:04 pm

Met a civilian INIS rep coming back into Dublin last week, she was lovely and we had a great chat, but then, as I travel out once a week anyway, I've had the same from 90% of the Garda INIS officers, never had a problem really.

I agree with Walrus, at least this way the Gardai can be put to much better use on the frontline.

Angel592
Member of Standing

Post by Angel592 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Tandor wrote:Met a civilian INIS rep coming back into Dublin last week, she was lovely and we had a great chat, but then, as I travel out once a week anyway, I've had the same from 90% of the Garda INIS officers, never had a problem really.

I agree with Walrus, at least this way the Gardai can be put to much better use on the frontline.
what's a civilian inis rep?

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:41 pm

Angel592 wrote:
Tandor wrote:Met a civilian INIS rep coming back into Dublin last week, she was lovely and we had a great chat, but then, as I travel out once a week anyway, I've had the same from 90% of the Garda INIS officers, never had a problem really.

what's a civilian inis rep?
A normal civil servant. It used to be the Garda that did the checks but now it is ordinary public service workers.
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

gnem
BANNED

Post by gnem » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:24 pm

The last time i used Dublin airport was 2009 which was still under garda immigration, i was only asked one questions and that was it, stamped my passport and i entered back my country of resident, but the staff in the office that took irrelevant matter on immigration rule or unreasonableness, why are they still working under department of justice when they flip or trying to corner or cut through the park with those private sort of revenge on applications to the immigration rule in Ireland ? :lol:

knapps
Member of Standing

Post by knapps » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:37 am

Well the Gardai at the Dublin Airport in my experience have been really polite and helpful. Never had any issues. I have been using it for the last 9 years.

kim_202
BANNED

No U R Wrong

Post by kim_202 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:00 pm

walrusgumble wrote:
flatpack wrote:i wonder how often 'immigration for dummies!' get updated with irrelevant stuff

With the exception of cases actually involving EU law, and if these Non EU people are NOT applying for asylum, how can the refusals being wrong? Where you there when people were refused?

It appears to me, bearing in mind, people can go to court (I am asking you to take aside EU law cases for one second and asylum), maybe the immigration officers were correct or where entitled to form the opinion that they did. Maybe it was the immigrant who needed the book?

What sort of things should you look out for so? The legislation (again, put EU law aside - and concentrate on non eu citizens trying to come in on domestic laws) give the immigration officer alot of leeway. There is a reason for this.

What kind of reasons have people being refused entry in the past? What do you mean by irrelevant stuff? Outside of the EU law rules, maybe what you thought was irrelevant was a matter that an immigration officer was legally entitled to consider as relevant? (that is a question and not a comment or view - I would like to get your view)

Back on topic, it is good to see that the Gardaí can now be put to better use. Any arrests needed etc (powers of cops) can still be enforced as Garda stations are nearby. I hope it gets rid of the nonsense of the €20 a day or so paid out in allowances to Gardaí for their lunch (expensive taste no? No such thing as a packed lunch like every other pleb?)

Don't expect the civilians to be much better in the charm department though. One hopes however, that they have more luck in dealing with false passports/id and the like than the Gardaí.

You thought the cops were bad here (and many are) wait until you go to America for all that security stuff

My friend ur words is stinks just give a guesture that how much u like foreign people anyway i would like to expalin your words or answer ur question

1) i live here 13 years (legally) and Paid taxes Legally and went immigration several time so here is the truth

foreignner alway get the jobs in irish industry becoz some irish lazy people now u like it or not but plz accept this reality...

if ur all people can afford to wakeup in 5 clock morning then i don't thing anybody else get or like u think steal ur job

2) Irish immigration officer on windows always stupid or retend tobe stupid u know why becoz i know ur law better than those officer behind windows and i correct to occusation and then she went inside to clear the idea and she came back say nothing but just issue me a visa trust me i can work better then them..

3) friend of mine went to visa for his mother and she was legal in state, anyway old lady in ticket deptment refused to issue any ticket now he holding correct doc but her behaviour was very rude so my friend ask her questions and refused to show his passport but my friend is irish passport holder and still working and pay taxess for those junkies who paid social paymen all their life....:)
anyway my friend went to solicitor and get help....

My friend it was u who give ur job to us nobody takes urs job so GET OVER IT..............

THERE IS LOTS OF LOOP WHOLE IN UR LEGISLATION BUT LIKE I SAID IRISH ARE LAZY SAME LIKE UR TD'S AND THOSE TD'S KEEP PUT TAXES AND U R 2 LAZY TO COME TO STREET TO PROTEST....THATS GR888.

IT UR DECESSION TO JOIN THE EU AND ALSO UR ELECTED TD TOOK BAIL OUT SO JUST FOLLOW THE EU RULES AS WELL BESIDE I NEVER HEARD ANYWHERE THAT TO APPLY A CITIZENSHIP THE WAITING TIME IS 2 YRS AND SOMETIME MORE THAN THAT

U CANT PASS IRISH DRIVING LICENSE EASILY BUT IF U WILLING TO PAY SOME 200e TO TALLAGHT INSTRUCTOR THEN U GET IT, U KNOW VERY WELL DO? U ITS WAS IN PAPER N TELE...........

SO MY FRIEND B4 U BLAME SOMEONE WHY DON'T U CLEAN UR SHITS

IM HERE TO HELP U FOR MORE QUESTION IF U WANT AND TRUST ME AFTER I GET PASSPORT I CAN STILL WORKING AND STEALLING UR JOBS LIKE U SAID.....BESIDE I HAVE BA**** TO WAKE UPE 5CLOCK IN MORNING....DO UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.....

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Is there a point to this post? It's a bit strong for a first post. Many people come on here with some questions and get some help. I struggle to see the point here.

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:52 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Is there a point to this post? It's a bit strong for a first post. Many people come on here with some questions and get some help. I struggle to see the point here.
Welcome to the Irish forum. That's how things go here unlike the EU and other sections of the board where you get answers to questions. Here you get judgments/statements/rants and some odd answers here and there.