ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US Citizen, Swedish Fiance, working in UK and US?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

amina1977
Newly Registered

US Citizen, Swedish Fiance, working in UK and US?

Post by amina1977 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:29 pm

Hi there,

This is a rather complex set of questions with a lot of variables, so bear with me

I'm a US citizen who has been living in the UK for just over a year. I've been a Master's student here and met my current (Swedish) boyfriend on my course. My student visa is running out shortly and we're serious about each other so are considering getting married. we would like to continue to be together in the UK. (As an EU citizen he can work in the UK without difficulty). We both studied International Relations, however, so we're both looking at jobs that could split us apart for periods of time here and there (foreign embassies, etc.) As we've been dating for a bit less than a year, and already had leases and living situations set up in London, we've never lived together.

My questions are as follows:

1. Regarding the Swedish and UK end of things: If he and I marry in Sweden, and I return to the UK as a spouse, will I have difficulty with the immigration authorities since I was on the cusp of having an expired student visa? Also because we haven't lived together? My impression is that since marrying an EU citizen and not a UK citizen really doesn't detract from public funds in the UK (only entitling me to work there and nothing more) it's not a hugely problematic thing, especially since I'm a relatively highly educated person with a US passport (sad, but I imagine that could make a difference). I don't know any details, however.

2. I don't expect to be working or living in Stockholm at any point soon, but does anyone know what sorts of procedures are necessary in Sweden after the marriage takes place? Would I have to live in Sweden for a certain amount of time even if I didn't plan to move there for the long term or necessarily gain full EU citizenship through my spouse? If I didn't go through full immigration procedures in Sweden as a spouse, would I still be eligible to work in the UK?

3. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get him working clearance when we eventually decide to come to the USA? Would we have to live together in the USA for a certain period of time (or be married and living in Europe a certain period of time) before applying? As I mentioned, we're both living rather transient lifestyles and I could well be posted in Vietnam while he gets a job offer in Washington.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I know it's a bit all over the place, but I suppose these sorts of questions are what forums like this are for!

Cheers,

Amina