ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PSW on ACCA Fundamental Papers

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Noman83

PSW on ACCA Fundamental Papers

Post by Noman83 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi everyone
I have just completed my ACCA fundamental papers and i am going to apply for the PSW in March 2012. My college (KAPLAN FINANCIAL ) has refused to give me the PSW letter on the grounds that UKBA is pressureising them not to give it to anyone (Nobody i knw is able to get PSW letter from KAPLAN on ACCA Fundamental). Instead they have given me the letter stating "TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN " stating that i have studied paper F1 to F9 in thier college from this date to that date .I have got the ACCA letter clearly stating that ACCA FUNDAMENTAL is equivalent to UK Bachelors and it also goes on to say that it is in thier literature to prepare syllabus for Fundamentals equivalent to UK Bachelor degree and Professional level equivalent to Masters

i have also got UK NARIC report .
Now my student visa expires in Dec 2012 but as PSW is closing in April am going to apply in march My lawyer says that he dont see any reason for UKBA to refuse and he has clearly stated that people who did not got it in first attempt and already had visa remaining normally dont get right of appeal and if thiss happens we will go for judicial review and then appeal in the HIGH COURT ..

Too much tensed on this issue !!! Please share your own experiences ..and please give your valuable advices ..Thanks

muskan ali
Pakistan

Re: PSW on ACCA Fundamental Papers

Post by muskan ali » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:52 pm

Hi, I m also in same condition,applying for psw in march 2012....could u tell me plz any good solicitor who have dealt this kind of cases before.

Many thanks

Noman83

Post by Noman83 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:05 pm

muskan ali wrote:Hi, I m also in same condition,applying for psw in march 2012....could u tell me plz any good solicitor who have dealt this kind of cases before.

Many thanks
hi the solicitor i am going to apply from is Zakir Khan i dont know much aboiut him but i have got good references for him from my friends02084781391

muskan ali
Pakistan

Post by muskan ali » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:29 pm

Noman83 wrote:
muskan ali wrote:Hi, I m also in same condition,applying for psw in march 2012....could u tell me plz any good solicitor who have dealt this kind of cases before.

Many thanks
hi the solicitor i am going to apply from is Zakir Khan i dont know much aboiut him but i have got good references for him from my friends02084781391
Hi many thanks for ur reply I have got another lawyer no his name is Marafat 07903161315.and I have talked to him over phone and he told me that on 9th feburary he has won the case regarding acca psw.my email id is (gul_bahar18@yahoo.com )if u could give me some information regarding ur lawyer or u want to start ur case with him....

ansafrahim

Post by ansafrahim » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Noman83 wrote:Hi everyone
I have just completed my ACCA fundamental papers and i am going to apply for the PSW in March 2012. My college (KAPLAN FINANCIAL ) has refused to give me the PSW letter on the grounds that UKBA is pressureising them not to give it to anyone (Nobody i knw is able to get PSW letter from KAPLAN on ACCA Fundamental). Instead they have given me the letter stating "TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN " stating that i have studied paper F1 to F9 in thier college from this date to that date .I have got the ACCA letter clearly stating that ACCA FUNDAMENTAL is equivalent to UK Bachelors and it also goes on to say that it is in thier literature to prepare syllabus for Fundamentals equivalent to UK Bachelor degree and Professional level equivalent to Masters

Now my student visa expires in Dec 2012 but as PSW is closing in April am going to apply in march My lawyer says that he dont see any reason for UKBA to refuse and he has clearly stated that people who did not got it in first attempt and already had visa remaining normally dont get right of appeal and if thiss happens we will go for judicial review and then appeal in the HIGH COURT ..

Too much tensed on this issue !!! Please share your own experiences ..and please give your valuable advices ..Thanks
Did you prepare any cover letter for your psw application explaining about acca qualification and its equivalence? One more question, how long did it take to get the naric ceritficate? thanks

muskan ali
Pakistan

Post by muskan ali » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:46 pm

hi i want to ask a question about kaplan college letter....if u kindly tell me that in ur letter is it written THIS IS NOT TO BE USED FOR VISA PURPOSES ......becoz i am also student in the same college and issued a general letter that THIS IS NOT TO BE USED FOR VISA PURPOSES...does it have any effect????

Noman83

Post by Noman83 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:53 pm

muskan ali wrote:

hi i want to ask a question about kaplan college letter....if u kindly tell me that in ur letter is it written THIS IS NOT TO BE USED FOR VISA PURPOSES ......becoz i am also student in the same college and issued a general letter that THIS IS NOT TO BE USED FOR VISA PURPOSES...does it have any effect????

hi i dnt knw abt its effect but yes i have got the same letter

Newly Registered

Post by 0465609 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:56 pm

Noman83 wrote:
muskan ali wrote:

Hey I study at Kaplan as well. Who's information did you put in the Tutor's detail?

Noman83

Post by Noman83 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:03 pm

0465609 wrote:
Noman83 wrote:
muskan ali wrote:

Hey I study at Kaplan as well. Who's information did you put in the Tutor's detail?

hi i use Tom Clendon name after getting his permisson u got to ask him first and am sure he will let u use his name

BukhariChambers
Newly Registered

PSW Deadline!

Post by BukhariChambers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:24 am

To all the ACCA students who have passed their Oxford Brookes exam –
CONGRATULATIONS!
You have 3 working days until the deadline of the 6th April to apply for
PSW. We are offering to submit your application at a reduced fee of £450
(usually £550) when you contact the office and quote ‘PSW PROMO’. You have
priority as applications must be submitted by 4th April, so call us now on
0208 446 5498. Tell your friends!

Greenie
Respected Guru

Re: PSW Deadline!

Post by Greenie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:27 am

BukhariChambers wrote:To all the ACCA students who have passed their Oxford Brookes exam –
CONGRATULATIONS!
using the forum to poach clients and promote your business I see. Whatever happened to your claim that all ACCA students could apply for PSW based on an UT decision?

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#576940

BukhariChambers
Newly Registered

PSW Deadline!

Post by BukhariChambers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:37 am

To all the ACCA students who have passed their Oxford Brookes exam –
CONGRATULATIONS!

Noman83

Post by Noman83 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:02 am

muskan ali wrote:

hi kaplan is issuing proper psw letter now on Acca fundamentals without these lines not for visa purposes

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:08 am

how will this help? ACCA does not have degree awarding powers. So whether or not the qualification is equivalent to a degree, they cannot award a degree and therefore students who have completed ACCA alone do not qualify for PSW.

Noman83

Post by Noman83 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:31 am

Greenie wrote:how will this help? ACCA does not have degree awarding powers. So whether or not the qualification is equivalent to a degree, they cannot award a degree and therefore students who have completed ACCA alone do not qualify for PSW.
Policy guidance point 53 says that 20 points will be awarding if degree is recognized bachelors
Policy guidance point 59 says professional and vocational qualification not considered unless of type stated in point 53

ACCA is a listed body and its qualification is recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to Uk bachelors honors to which UKBA look to to interpret international qualifications

whereas about your question for awarding degree well they do have awarding power but they can award only certificates and hence they are then compared to bachelors by uk naric

ScopeD
Member of Standing

Post by ScopeD » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:58 am

sorry, posted incorrectly

Deepshithole2010

Post by Deepshithole2010 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:12 pm

Thanks for the update Noman83, please pm me i am exactly in the same boat passed F1-F9 and the 3 other Professional's paper have only P2,P7 to pass. I also study at Kaplan. Lets keep in touch with each other so we could share our experiences and i believe that's why forums like these can be so helpful.

I appreciate members advice and probability of what is most likely to happen in the given circumstances, however i dislike when certain members pass on their verdict like a death sentence. At the end of he day our fate is in the hands of the particular caseworker who is dealing with it and what he interprets of the information provided by us, of course there are guidance's to follow but nothing is set in stone.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:42 pm

Noman83 wrote:
Greenie wrote:how will this help? ACCA does not have degree awarding powers. So whether or not the qualification is equivalent to a degree, they cannot award a degree and therefore students who have completed ACCA alone do not qualify for PSW.
Policy guidance point 53 says that 20 points will be awarding if degree is recognized bachelors
Policy guidance point 59 says professional and vocational qualification not considered unless of type stated in point 53

ACCA is a listed body and its qualification is recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to Uk bachelors honors to which UKBA look to to interpret international qualifications

whereas about your question for awarding degree well they do have awarding power but they can award only certificates and hence they are then compared to bachelors by uk naric
It may be equivalent to a degree, but it is not a degree. See also

Bachelor level or postgraduate level
54. For a qualification to be considered
a United Kingdom recognised degree at
Bachelors, Masters or PhD level, it must
have been awarded by a United Kingdom
recognised body.

55. A United Kingdom recognised body is
an institution which has been granted degree
awarding powers by a Royal Charter,
an
Act of Parliament or the Privy Council. All
United Kingdom universities and some higher
education colleges are United Kingdom
recognised bodies.

ACCA is not a recognised body and it does not have degree awarding powers.

The requirement is not that you have a degree level qualification but that you have a UK recognised bachelor or postgraduate degree

Noman83

Post by Noman83 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:40 am

Greenie wrote:
Noman83 wrote:

It may be equivalent to a degree, but it is not a degree. See also

Bachelor level or postgraduate level
54. For a qualification to be considered
a United Kingdom recognised degree at
Bachelors, Masters or PhD level, it must
have been awarded by a United Kingdom
recognised body.

55. A United Kingdom recognised body is
an institution which has been granted degree
awarding powers by a Royal Charter,
an
Act of Parliament or the Privy Council. All
United Kingdom universities and some higher
education colleges are United Kingdom
recognised bodies.

ACCA is not a recognised body and it does not have degree awarding powers.

The requirement is not that you have a degree level qualification but that you have a UK recognised bachelor or postgraduate degree

Well first let me clear the concept of Law in Uk . Uk law is principle based not rule based so it means that if something unique comes in front of court which does not have any set precedent then logic is applied rather than rules..

now refer to the link provided which is the order of secretary of state and it says that listed bodies are those who provide courses in preparation for degree Part 1 of ACCA is equivalent to first year of a 3 year degree and part 2 is equivalent to 3 year degree bachelors honours

scroll down to the bottom and read explanatory notes
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010 ... 614_en.pdf

About the Royal Charter ACCA has been given royal Charter in 1974 but as they are profeesionals so they dont award any degrees ( common sense it is )

http://www.accaglobal.com/en/discover/a ... story.html

and about "recognized" if you notice ACCA is recognized even at Financial Services Authorities how many universities are on FSA?

Now we come to the word equivalency well for that am giving you the reference for a synonum website which clearly states what i have been saying

www.synonyms.net/synonym/equivalent

My humble request to you is not to debate this topic as people are indeed winning their cases in courts so things which PROFESSIONAL lawyers cant debate how can you pass judgement on it by simply stating the RULES ( with all respect)

now lets. consider NQF LEVELS which equates all qualifications in UK
ACCA FUNDAMENTALS are equal to NQF level 6 which is of the same level to a uk bachelors degree

Now my question to you is if ACCA FUNDAMENTALS WERE NOT EQUIVALENT TO NQF LEVEL 6 then why UKBA did not rejected my visa application when my college stated on the letter that qualification to be achived will be of NQF level 6 ?

and last of all our association ie ACCA has given us the letter of equivalency saying the same which i have already mentioned above i just give all these references to keep things straight which is worth a million

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:31 am

England has a common law system however relevant legislation must be applied by decision makers and judges. Thus the framework of immigration control is the immigration act 1971 as amended and supplemented by other acts that have followed

The immigration rules set out the requirements of each application in detail and are the starting point for an assessment of whether a migrant qualifies for

I am not debating for the sake of it. Rather i am referring to the relevant law that the decision maker is required to follow.

Please see my post in a similar thread.
Greenie wrote:There are a number of flaws in your argument:

1) A royal charter is a formal document granted by the monarch giving an individual or a corportate entity a right or a power. That power may be to award degrees, it may equally be used to establish a city, company or to grant a body a power to award other qualifications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_charter

http://privycouncil.independent.gov.uk/royal-charters/

Just because an organisation has been granted a power/established by a royal charter, doesn't mean they can all award degrees. For example - the constitutional basis of the BBC is the royal charter - does the BBC therefore claim it can award degrees?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/about/how ... agreement/

2) A recognised body is an institution granted degree awarding powers by royal charter, all such organisations are listed here:

http://www.bis.gov.uk/policies/higher-e ... sed-bodies

You will note that ACCA does not appear on this list, instead it appears on the list of listed bodies, which are institutions or bodies, which, deliver courses that lead to degrees awarded by Recognised Bodies.

http://www.bis.gov.uk/policies/higher-e ... ted-bodies

Hence, ACCA deliver a course that can lead to a degree awarded by Oxford Brookes. It cannot itself award degrees.

3) The requirement is that you have been awarded a degree at bachelors, masters or PhD level. The requirement is not that you have been awarded a qualification equivalent to a degree.

I cannot see that you can therefore argue that completing the fundamental ACCA papers alone, means that you score the points for qualification as

a) The requirement is that you have been awarded a bachelors, masters or PhD degree, PGCE, PGDE or Scottish HND
b) The qualification is none of the above
c) ACCA does not have degree awarding powers
All qualifications are set out on the nqf however the fact that you have been given a student to undertake an nqf 6 course does not mean that this course meets the requirements for psw.

Noman83

Post by Noman83 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:30 am

Greenie wrote:England has a common law system however relevant legislation must be applied by decision makers and judges. Thus the framework of immigration control is the immigration act 1971 as amended and supplemented by other acts that have followed

The immigration rules set out the requirements of each application in detail and are the starting point for an assessment of whether a migrant qualifies for

I am not debating for the sake of it. Rather i am referring to the relevant law that the decision maker is required to follow.

Please see my post in a similar thread.
Greenie wrote:There are a number of flaws in your argument:

1) A royal charter is a formal document granted by the monarch giving an individual or a corportate entity a right or a power. That power may be to award degrees, it may equally be used to establish a city, company or to grant a body a power to award other qualifications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_charter

http://privycouncil.independent.gov.uk/royal-charters/

Just because an organisation has been granted a power/established by a royal charter, doesn't mean they can all award degrees. For example - the constitutional basis of the BBC is the royal charter - does the BBC therefore claim it can award degrees?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/about/how ... agreement/

2) A recognised body is an institution granted degree awarding powers by royal charter, all such organisations are listed here:

http://www.bis.gov.uk/policies/higher-e ... sed-bodies

You will note that ACCA does not appear on this list, instead it appears on the list of listed bodies, which are institutions or bodies, which, deliver courses that lead to degrees awarded by Recognised Bodies.

http://www.bis.gov.uk/policies/higher-e ... ted-bodies

Hence, ACCA deliver a course that can lead to a degree awarded by Oxford Brookes. It cannot itself award degrees.

3) The requirement is that you have been awarded a degree at bachelors, masters or PhD level. The requirement is not that you have been awarded a qualification equivalent to a degree.

I cannot see that you can therefore argue that completing the fundamental ACCA papers alone, means that you score the points for qualification as

a) The requirement is that you have been awarded a bachelors, masters or PhD degree, PGCE, PGDE or Scottish HND
b) The qualification is none of the above
c) ACCA does not have degree awarding powers
All qualifications are set out on the nqf however the fact that you have been given a student to undertake an nqf 6 course does not mean that this course meets the requirements for psw.
With all due respect you are repeating yourself in awarding power and equivalency matters etc you are right in quoting that relevant laws and regulations should be applied by decision makers and judge well thats what they are unable to do in this specific case as there is NO PRECEDENT OR CASE LAW EXAMPLE OF THIS KIND . As per the rules they are made to be follow but when somebody challenge it ,the law looks at previous example in this case there isnt any so then the responsibility is on claimant to prove his points on the basis of logics and that is what i have been trying to do and will certainly do if my case goes to court and then the court will have to decide on the basis of facts and logic (refer to PANKINA CASE for maintainence funds)

my simple point is when i have to obey all the rules which are set by UKBA by stating IF THE COURSE IS AT DEGREE LEVEL ETC ....IF THE COURSE IS ABOVE DEGREE LEVEL ETC... (where they dont even mention professional /vocational and we are just left to play with our fate and we always fulfill the highest level just to be on the safe side and we consider the COMPARABILITY OF OUR COURSE TO DEGREE just take example of ielts test for degree courses you have to get 6.5 in all disciplin i got 8 in all disciples but i have seen ppl refused who got below 6 .5 ) then why are these double standards applied to us when we go for these type of attractive visas such as PSW

Moreover if you have done a degree and you decide to do ACCA you will be exempted for 9 papers if you have done a good degree like LSE /city etc which further confirms that it is of degree level

Now is the time that we have to decide what level you think professional qualification an what you implement as ther is a complete conflict on this

WE belive ACCA AUDITORS and accountabt reports for big investment decisions but we dont believe what ACCA says about the equivalency of its qualification is it not a conflict

The only way to close this debate is to SET A PRECEDENT as lower tribunal judges are giving the decisions on facts and logic as they are without any precedent to follow until it goes to UPPER TRIBUNAL

I have noticed that you are asking me questions but you are not answering the questions which i asked shouldnt my visa be cancelled as it was awarded on doing NQF LEVEL 6 course and if you say it should be cancelled then shall i sue my college and UKBA for giving an inpression that i am doing a degree level course. and shall i be compensated for all the money i have spent over here ? where are my consumer rights (all with full respect and without any offence)

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:53 pm

I have already responded to your point about the level of your course. The fact that your course is degree level does not make it a degree. The fact that you can be issued a student visa to study a qualification at level 6 or above of the nqf does not make all such qualifications sufficient for psw. The requirement is to be awarded a UK recognised degree not that you have been awarded a qualification equivalent to a degree.

Noman83

Post by Noman83 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:04 pm

Greenie wrote:I have already responded to your point about the level of your course. The fact that your course is degree level does not make it a degree. The fact that you can be issued a student visa to study a qualification at level 6 or above of the nqf does not make all such qualifications sufficient for psw. The requirement is to be awarded a UK recognised degree not that you have been awarded a qualification equivalent to a degree.

This is not a fact as it is the interpertation of the word "equivalency" you are taking into account as there could be several literal meanings of the word this is when things get complicated and these rules are brought in front of court to interpret the law for its intended user

Moreover if you look at the rules "they are not rules they are stated as PSW POLICY GUIDANCE " what does word guidance means ?? it is only thier to
guide you whereas rules are to be adhered at all times ..

You can take whatever meaning you want to take but what i dont like is ppl passing thier "judgements " on how can u get it by simply looking at the POLICY GUIDANCE one has to be in my shoes to understand my case and thats what JUDGES try to do .

i respect your opinion and you should respect mine as everybody has the right of thier own opinion and we should leave the rest to the Courts to decide :)

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:08 pm

I was referring to the rules, not the policy guidance. However it is a matter of fact and that only recognised bodies can award degrees in the UK.

Deepshithole2010

Post by Deepshithole2010 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:31 pm

Just to add my two pence of advice.........I do agree with Greenie that the current home office practice is to disregard professional qualification as being a degree, however going by their own policy guidance they haven't made it clear enough and have left things to different interpretations. Wouldn't it have made simpler if home office clearly emphasized that "No other qualification" would be admissible other than than degrees awarded by universities for PSW. Because they haven't been clear enough there is a very good case for how they interpret the implication of Para 53 "A UK recognised bachelor/masters degree or its equivalence.....". They have excluded professional qualification but not those which meets the definition of Para 53.

So in a nutshell either UKBA revises its policy guidance (which is too late now) or accepts that there definitions of the eligibility criteria were ambiguous.

Very important to note that whatever the general practice at UKBA would have been (meaning to say ignoring professional qualification as not being equivalent to degree as an example) doesn't mean it cannot be challenged as it was proved in 'Pankina case'.