ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can rental income on my new home be shown to score points

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jacobuk83
Newly Registered

Can rental income on my new home be shown to score points

Post by jacobuk83 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advise so that I can plan ahead. I work in the public sector as a Systems Analyst and draw about £36400 gross. I also run a small limited company however havnt been trading for the last year due to various reasons; the main being travelling and getting married. I will be applying for my Tier 1 extension in January 2013. I have recently bought a new home with my wife (British Citizen) and we have rented out one room at £550 per month. This amounts to £6600 for the year and so my total earnings go up to £43000. My question is;

Can this rental income be shown along with my takings from my main job in order to score points for the £40k - £49k bracket?

I have an rental agreement for the renter and she pays into my bank account every month. We also have a mortgage but the payments are set up to go out of my wife's account. Also, I do not wish to be on a spouce visa hence I need to apply for this extension.

Looking for some expert advise. Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jacob

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:53 pm

You cannot show income from rent unless you are officially in the business of renting properties.

Read Tier 1 guidance point # 101
Manka

jacobuk83
Newly Registered

Post by jacobuk83 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:00 pm

Does this mean if I register self employed and show that as a business I will be ok?

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:11 pm

jacobuk83 wrote:Does this mean if I register self employed and show that as a business I will be ok?
you could potentially get away with that but rather than being self employed, I would suggest become a director of your own letting agency or something with some fancy name to go with it of course

you might want to double check with some immigration expert though, they may have dealt with cases where applicants may have shown income this way

Is this additional income absolutely necessary for you to qualify ? if not then best bet would be to leave that income from rent
Last edited by Manka10 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manka

jacobuk83
Newly Registered

Post by jacobuk83 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Manka10 wrote:
jacobuk83 wrote:Does this mean if I register self employed and show that as a business I will be ok?
you could potentially get away with that but rather than being self employed, I would suggest become a director of your own letting agency with some fancy name to go with it of course

you might want to double check with some immigration expert though, they may have dealt with cases where applicants may have shown income this way

Is this additional income absolutely necessary for you to get points ? if not then best bet would be to leave that income from rent
Thanks for your input. Well I dont essentially need to show that as I score 20 points for one bracket below which still qualifies me for Tier 1

benneviss

Post by benneviss » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:10 am

No , unless you have a business .

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:33 pm

NO wAY

U NEED TO SHOW that u r in letting business and business means only profits after all costs that will be very minimal , yr objevtive will be defeated

jacobuk83
Newly Registered

Post by jacobuk83 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:07 am

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will focus on getting some business for the limited company I run. Else will just apply, showing details of my primary job for income. I believe this second extension is for 3 years, so assuming I get it I will be granted a visa till Jan 2016. Can we apply for ILR after that or do we need another extension? Slightly confused about this one.

@Moderators: Im not sure if I need to post this elsewhere. Please move the topic if you need to. Many thanks!