ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

self employed and (no) tax returns

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nks

self employed and (no) tax returns

Post by nks » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi, another tricky one which I tried to find an answer in forum and guidelines and perhaps even have it but nothing comforts more than hearing from expert's keyboard :)

my extension is due in september and I am a employed + self employed(sole trader) case. Self employment registration and business will commence from after 6th april 2012 hence I will have no tax return documents when I go with my application. Techmnically I understand I need only two piece of evidence, which could be bank statement and accountant letter but guidance seem to be paying special emphasis on tax return and in my case I cant just have it.

please suggest considerations and way around for me. Am I good with accountant letter and bank statements?

Thanks,
Nks

benneviss

Post by benneviss » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:05 am

You can submit your tax before 31 January so you don't to go with it.

Having said that , I would ask accountant to prepare a report with projected tax , or at least I would submit one part of my tax liability to so my genuineness.

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:21 am

You can get your accountant to note down in their letter that the tax on any self employment profits would not be due until 31/1/14 (and a return couldn't be filed until after 6/4/13).

You would like to think that the caseworkers would be aware of this but it's probably an idea to cover all bases for the sake of a sentence in a letter.
Please don't private message me or e-mail me for free personal advice - you are just wasting your time writing something that won't get answered.
Anything written here shouldn't be construed as being formal advice given in a professional capacity.

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:50 am

applicants have to pay their taxes as per HMRC guidelines and time frame , HO is not interfering in this .

payment of taxes is applicantions obligations.

so u can apply with

a accounts (pl +BS)
b. Income certificate
C. Bank statements for sole trading incomes

nks

Post by nks » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks guys. I understand I am good to go with "accountant's letter"+"bank statement" for self employed income in between 6th April and Sep '2012.

Was wondering if it would be of any benefit to file tax return for full time employment income for period of Sep-2011 to 6th April '2012, for which all tax has been deducted at source by my employer. I mean, just to add one HMRC documentation to my application though it has nothing to do with self employed income.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
nks

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:05 am

It's highly unlikely that HMRC will give you notice to file one nks plus legally there would be no requirement to do so from what you say above (unless of course HMRC tell you that you have to via a Notice).
Please don't private message me or e-mail me for free personal advice - you are just wasting your time writing something that won't get answered.
Anything written here shouldn't be construed as being formal advice given in a professional capacity.

shahjee11

Post by shahjee11 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:21 am

IF you are operating as a sole trader, you will also have to provide invoices generated during the period of time you are claiming points. This will be in addition to Accountant's letter and Bank statements. See Section 114 sub section (X) of Tier 1 Policy Guidance applicable from 06-04-12

nks

Post by nks » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:27 am

Thank you all. I am more confident now that not having a return shouldn't be an issue in my case.
Cheers,
Nks

nks

Post by nks » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:03 pm

Thank you all. I am more confident now that not having a return shouldn't be an issue in my case.
Cheers,
Nks