ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residence Card on A4 Sheet of Paper

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

EUsmileWEallsmile

Residence Card on A4 Sheet of Paper

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:24 am

Was your residence card issued on a sheet of paper (aka immigration status document)?

Has it inconvenienced you in any way?
Perhaps you found it difficult to travel to other EU countries?
Perhaps you had to fold it up to make it fit with your travel documents?

If so, have you complained? Remember, a "complaint" can lead to improvements.

There's a very simple remedy. The UKBA could affix the vignette to the blue cardboard document similar to the one that they use for EEA nationals. While cheap and nasty, it really does the job, it can be folded over into a nice little booklet. The vignette's protected and it's portable.

The blue card even helpfully states that the document is issued pursuant to Directive 2004/38/EC. That can be dead useful when traveling to other EU states.

Sometimes, it's the really simple things that make the difference.

If you're affected, why don't you complain? You've nothing to lose.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:48 pm

shhe, this is what may happen if you asked for your passports to be returned. The application would not be treated as being withdrawn though.

Bing

Post by Bing » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:25 pm

When I applied my RC and asked my passport to be returned before 6 months processing time, they told me it would have withdrawn my application. Is it legal? Well, I did not ask it back at the end.
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:shhe, this is what may happen if you asked for your passports to be returned. The application would not be treated as being withdrawn though.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:31 pm

Bing wrote:When I applied my RC and asked my passport to be returned before 6 months processing time, they told me it would have withdrawn my application. Is it legal? Well, I did not ask it back at the end.
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:shhe, this is what may happen if you asked for your passports to be returned. The application would not be treated as being withdrawn though.
Your application would not be treated as being withdrawn in the case of a residence card. Interestingly, it would be considered withdrawn in the case of a family permit or so I was advised.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:50 am

Ken C - please add your thoughts on A4 ISD here if you can.

horizon1985

EEA residence card on Immigration status document

Post by horizon1985 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi,

I have applied EEA2 application on 20 December 2011 , received COA on 25 January 2012. I am still waiting for my residence card. Unfortunately my passport has expired in the possession of Home office. I read on UKBA website that in this case they issue Residence card on A4 size paper called Immigration status document. Please someone can tell me that RC on ISD would be considered as same as vignette on passport ? because I will soon travel to Turkey after having my RC. Will I get any problem in travelling or is there any way that I can ask Home office to allow me to make new passport and send it to them so they can give me a sticker/ vignette of RC on my passport ?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed May 09, 2012 6:36 pm

If they have your passport they might put it in the expired passport (I hope it was valid when you applied).

horizon1985

Post by horizon1985 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:16 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:If they have your passport they might put it in the expired passport (I hope it was valid when you applied).

Thanks for your reply. Yes It was valid but as they mention on UKBA website that in this case they normally issue residence card on separate sheet "Immigration Status document". Do you think that they will put it in my expired passport ? to be honest I would prefer RC endorsement even in my expired passport rather than to have it on separate paper. I hope they would be lenient enough in such circumstances :?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed May 09, 2012 9:13 pm

They will do so if there is no passport. I really don't know what they will do with an expired passport.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri May 18, 2012 9:19 pm

chokedup; please take this up.

psuch2
Brazil

Post by psuch2 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Does anyone have a pic of how does an Rc on A4 looks like, just out of curiosity, thanks
No Matter How Long Winter Is, There's Always Spring Time Ahead

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri May 18, 2012 9:40 pm

No, but picture a blank piece of A4 paper with a visa vignette stuck somewhere on it.

Very practical and elegant, eh?

psuch2
Brazil

Post by psuch2 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:49 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:No, but picture a blank piece of A4 paper with a visa vignette stuck somewhere on it.

uhn, I see. I was thinking about requesting our passports back, my wife has a family reunion in sweden about mid june. Also my passport expires in 2015 but once i get my RC it will expire in 2017, what should i do them, show my old passport whenever needed or apply for a stamp in the new passport?
No Matter How Long Winter Is, There's Always Spring Time Ahead

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat May 19, 2012 7:59 am

psuch2 wrote:
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:No, but picture a blank piece of A4 paper with a visa vignette stuck somewhere on it.

uhn, I see. I was thinking about requesting our passports back, my wife has a family reunion in sweden about mid june. Also my passport expires in 2015 but once i get my RC it will expire in 2017, what should i do them, show my old passport whenever needed or apply for a stamp in the new passport?
Normally, if a passport expires before a visa, you can just carry the expired passport.

chokedup

Post by chokedup » Wed May 23, 2012 9:01 pm

thanks, EUsmileWEallsmile, so what exactly i should do? ring them at HO?

"The UKBA could affix the vignette to the blue cardboard document similar to the one that they use for EEA nationals. While cheap and nasty, it really does the job, it can be folded over into a nice little booklet. The vignette's protected and it's portable."

do you have any picture of what it looks like?
thanks

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed May 23, 2012 9:04 pm

Well not complaining will not result in change. I would suggest the tone of your complaint might be improved to get proper attention.

Please see page 23 of this document for a picture.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

chokedup

Post by chokedup » Wed May 23, 2012 9:14 pm

thanks that does look tacky!!! thats the same stamp/visa i got on A4 paper why could they not do it like this in the first place???
On ukba website it says visa vignette transfer is 100 pound dont know what exactly would they do...my passport expires next year so would probably wait till than.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed May 23, 2012 9:22 pm

chokedup wrote:thanks that does look tacky!!!
The card folds over neatly, protecting the vignette and fits in passport. While it is cheap, it does the job. The A4 piece of paper must be a real pain!

If you have an RC your only way of getting this into your passport is to make another application.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed May 23, 2012 10:55 pm

chokedup wrote:On ukba website it says visa vignette transfer is 100 pound dont know what exactly would they do
The fee is for visa under the UK domestic immigration rules not EEA "visa". The only way to transfer a EEA visa is to make a new application.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu May 24, 2012 6:31 pm

Like I say, if one finds the A4 piece of paper unwieldy, by all means suggest a cheap alternative. They might listen.

horizon1985

Post by horizon1985 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:24 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Like I say, if one finds the A4 piece of paper unwieldy, by all means suggest a cheap alternative. They might listen.

I spoke to my solicitor yesterday and he told me that yes this is true to make a new application for transfer of vignette to new passport but it wont take longer like EEA2 initial application. It can be done just in one day by simply going to Liverpool office.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri May 25, 2012 5:30 pm

horizon1985 wrote:
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Like I say, if one finds the A4 piece of paper unwieldy, by all means suggest a cheap alternative. They might listen.

I spoke to my solicitor yesterday and he told me that yes this is true to make a new application for transfer of vignette to new passport but it wont take longer like EEA2 initial application. It can be done just in one day by simply going to Liverpool office.
I don't believe your solicitor is correct about this. It says on border agency website that one would need to make a fresh application. I am happy to be wrong of course. If your solicitor has references to that, please share them.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucit ... ts-family/#
How to transfer your immigration status to your passport Close If you have an immigration status document, or your endorsement is in an old passport which has expired, you can apply for us to transfer your immigration status to your (new) passport. You must complete and send us a new application form with all the necessary supporting evidence. You will also need to send us your old passport containing the original vignette, or your immigration status document

horizon1985

Post by horizon1985 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:17 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
horizon1985 wrote:

I don't believe your solicitor is correct about this. It says on border agency website that one would need to make a fresh application. I am happy to be wrong of course. If your solicitor has references to that, please share them.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucit ... ts-family/#
How to transfer your immigration status to your passport Close If you have an immigration status document, or your endorsement is in an old passport which has expired, you can apply for us to transfer your immigration status to your (new) passport. You must complete and send us a new application form with all the necessary supporting evidence. You will also need to send us your old passport containing the original vignette, or your immigration status document
Yes I stressed him a lot that how can you be sure of that ? and also gave him a reference of HO website. But he just told me that you will fill new application form and will also attach necessary documents but as far as concern that it would be consider as a fresh application like before, he straightaway denied me. Well there may be lots of loopholes in laws that we don't know :/. Anyway it would be clear in few days or weeks hopefully because I am waiting for my RC as well. In fact I was too much worry about it but he told me that once your RC comes, we will guide you how to follow that procedure. I hope he would be right.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri May 25, 2012 6:58 pm

horizon1985 wrote:
Yes I stressed him a lot that how can you be sure of that ?
I'm not sure, but took my information from the website and gave you the link. Post your experience back.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:33 pm

lolo82 - complain, your suggestion might be taken up.