ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Friend recieved citizenship immediately after ILR. Reasons??

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hionesecond
Newly Registered

Friend recieved citizenship immediately after ILR. Reasons??

Post by hionesecond » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi All,

One of my acquaintance applied for ILR after completing 5 years. He went in person. Once he was confirmed he has been granted ILR the case worker told him he is eligible for Citizenship. He applied and was granted citizenship. All within 3-4 months. Not sure how he got it.

He arrived into UK on WP, then changed to HSMP after 2 years until he applied.

Any ideas why he was granted without completing the 12 months of being granted ILR?

thanks.

osteophytes

Re: Friend recieved citizenship immediately after ILR. Reaso

Post by osteophytes » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:04 am

hionesecond wrote:Hi All,

One of my acquaintance applied for ILR after completing 5 years. He went in person. Once he was confirmed he has been granted ILR the case worker told him he is eligible for Citizenship. He applied and was granted citizenship. All within 3-4 months. Not sure how he got it.

He arrived into UK on WP, then changed to HSMP after 2 years until he applied.

Any ideas why he was granted without completing the 12 months of being granted ILR?

thanks.
Is he married to a BC?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:42 am

osteophytes wrote: Is he married to a BC?
That's the most obvious reason. A person married to a British citizen (or in a civil partnership with a British citizen) only needs to have no time limit on his or her stay in the UK (i.e. ILR in this case) on the day the application for naturalisation is made, not for a full year. So, such a person could gain ILR on Thursday and apply for naturalisation on Friday, provided that all the other criteria for naturalisation were met.

hionesecond
Newly Registered

Post by hionesecond » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:09 am

No, he is married but not to a BC. His wife is still a Indian national and they married very recently.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:22 am

ILR deemed backdated by one year due to HSMP Forum judicial review (settlement in the United Kingdom)?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

hionesecond
Newly Registered

Post by hionesecond » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:49 pm

vinny wrote:ILR deemed backdated by one year due to HSMP Forum judicial review (settlement in the United Kingdom)?
No, don't think so. He came to UK in 2006 on a WP, changed to HSMP after 2 years until he got ILR. Can't find any reasoning for this.

Was it luck, by chance?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:53 pm

hionesecond wrote:
vinny wrote:ILR deemed backdated by one year due to HSMP Forum judicial review (settlement in the United Kingdom)?
No, don't think so. He came to UK in 2006 on a WP, changed to HSMP after 2 years until he got ILR. Can't find any reasoning for this.

Was it luck, by chance?
Well, anything is possible, but it seems most unlikely that both his case worker in the immigration section and the nationality people would have made the same mistake...

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Why won't you just ask him?

brummie

Post by brummie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:51 pm

@hionesecond .There is a possibility that he might have got lucky.
I am happy for him. :D

nfornv
Newly Registered
India

Post by nfornv » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi

I could not find any document saying; to get citizenship you need to be on ILR for 1 year.

Each document says if you stayed here for 5 years, you can apply.

There might be 1 year ILR waiting only for whom who got ILR after 4 year of HSMP.

As of now all new Tier 1 applicant have to have 5 yrs stay to get ILR and same time you required 5 yrs to apply citizenship. So your friend did good thing applied ILR in person and then soon put citizenship req...

Well this is only my research, I am not sure whether I am right or wrong…

atukflrn

Post by atukflrn » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:38 pm

I think you have missed to notice the following:

Immigration time restrictions
You must be free from immigration time restrictions when you apply for naturalisation. Unless you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should have been free from immigration time restrictions during the last 12 months of the residential qualifying period

This clearly shows wait time of 12 months on ILR before one can make an application for Citizenship.

osteophytes

Post by osteophytes » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:23 am

nfornv wrote:Hi

I could not find any document saying; to get citizenship you need to be on ILR for 1 year.

Each document says if you stayed here for 5 years, you can apply.

There might be 1 year ILR waiting only for whom who got ILR after 4 year of HSMP.

As of now all new Tier 1 applicant have to have 5 yrs stay to get ILR and same time you required 5 yrs to apply citizenship. So your friend did good thing applied ILR in person and then soon put citizenship req...

Well this is only my research, I am not sure whether I am right or wrong…
Please read FAQs before posting if you are not sure

hionesecond
Newly Registered

Post by hionesecond » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:08 am

Jambo wrote:Why won't you just ask him?
He too doesn't know..

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:49 am

hionesecond wrote:
He too doesn't know..
Ask him to check his ILR date on his vignette. He probably got (mistakenly?) his ILR backdated.

jommy999
Newly Registered

Post by jommy999 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:47 am

hionesecond wrote:
He too doesn't know..
of course he knows, when he applied he need to fill the forms and tick boxes and fill them so he sure know which one he was applying for and what he needs ( Docs ). then at NCS .. etc ..

but only why he does not what you to know. i just cant answer that .

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:44 pm

jommy999 wrote:
hionesecond wrote:
He too doesn't know..
of course he knows, when he applied he need to fill the forms and tick boxes and fill them so he sure know which one he was applying for and what he needs ( Docs ). then at NCS .. etc ..

but only why he does not what you to know. i just cant answer that .
Not necessarily – some of the provisions are pretty arcane, and not everyone (even those involved in the process) take a deep interest in the minutiae. Also, if it is a mistake, he won't know, since there is nothing to know. But he might not know if it's a mistake or not.