ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI in London for Birmingham Resident

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mrproblem

OCI in London for Birmingham Resident

Post by mrproblem » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:29 am

Hi there,

I am currently living in Birmingham. Me and my wife both on Indefinite Leave to Remain visa. My daughter who is born in UK got MN1 approved recently and we are expecting her British Passport anytime soon.

If I am on Indefinite Leave to remain, can my daughter being a British Passport holder be eligible for OCI. Note that I am still on Indian passport. The reason I am asking is I heard some one saying
"An applicant who is a foreign national by birth or who never possessed an Indian passport would be required to present the certificate issued in lieu of surrender of Indian passport of his/her parents/ grandparents on whose basis the applicant is claiming his/her Indian origin."

Also I have been told that London processing time is fast for OCI approvals. Can you please guide me being a Birmingham resident can I apply in London. Do I need to take any residency proof etc. Please guide me through.

Thank you

mrproblem

Post by mrproblem » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi there can you please reply for the above query. First of all I am in real doubt whether the baby is eligible for OCI or PIO

http://www.cgibirmingham.org/index.php? ... ages&id=10

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:23 am

A minor is not eligible for OCI until one of the parents is also eligible i.e when one of the parents has acquired British nationality only then can you apply for OCI for the child. You can apply for PIO in the meantime, it is basically the same rights and priveleges but is only valid for 15 years.

mrproblem

Post by mrproblem » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:58 pm

PG1983 wrote:A minor is not eligible for OCI until one of the parents is also eligible i.e when one of the parents has acquired British nationality only then can you apply for OCI for the child. You can apply for PIO in the meantime, it is basically the same rights and priveleges but is only valid for 15 years.
Thank you for your reply mate. But the CGI Birmingham website says that

"An applicant who is a foreign national by birth or who never possessed an Indian passport would be required to present the certificate issued in lieu of surrender of Indian passport of his/her parents/ grandparents on whose basis the applicant is claiming his/her Indian origin. Such certificate however, would not be needed if the passport holder on whose basis application is being attempted continues to be an Indian citizen or is deceased. For details please read the full brochure below. "

That is the reason I got bit of confusion that if I am carrying on with my Indian passport, would my baby get OCI or not.

By the way, in terms of PIO, I hope there are no restrictions

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:32 am

There are no restrictions for PIO. You can try to apply using the quoted text. Good luck and let us know if you're succesfull.

manoj123

Post by manoj123 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:22 pm

PG1983 wrote:There are no restrictions for PIO. You can try to apply using the quoted text. Good luck and let us know if you're succesfull.
I thought PIO has to register with police if staying more than 180 days and an OCI is not required to do that?

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:51 am

Yes you do need to register with police if staying for more than 180 days and also the validity is for 15 years(as compared to lifelong for OCI).